Do DOs have a hard time finding jobs in industry/private sector R+D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how DOs do finding jobs in industry R and D, specifically in pharmaceutical development, medical devices, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few in government agencies working as regulators.

Does anyone know how DOs do finding jobs in industry R and D, specifically in pharmaceutical development, medical devices, etc?
I've ran into a number of MD's and MD/MBA's in both the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Of course, a number of Pharm.D's work in both industries as well. MD's with undergrad and master's degrees in biomedical engineering are working for some of my firm's client companies also. I personally have not ran into any DO's. But I suspect a DO with a biomedical engineering or a pharmaceutical background probably would be found in both aforementioned industries.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the current state of things, but OUHCOM has an elective rotation with Eli Lilly for 4th years where we basically get introduced to the R&D side of things for 6 to 12 weeks. It's definitely a push for more DOs in the industry.