Do DO's have a harder time getting a job than MD's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDdream777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do DO's have a harder time getting a job than MD's? If I decide to go to DO school and apply for an MD residency, does DO school prepare you well enough to take the USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

You prepare yourself for the USMLE. Every single COM has a percentage of their students take and do well in the steps. Your education and expectations are the same as MD.

As for jobs, you will generally be fine anywhere, except perhaps high ranked academic medicine. If that is your goal, that will require a lot of work. Mid level academia is much more attainable.

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* you're lucky its your first day on SDN... you just kicked a dead horse....

It's nearly impossible to tell at this point. The recent merger "should" expand residency options for DOs, but that won't fix the issue of how some directors will ALWAYS have "MD prejudice against DOs" syndrome.

At any US med school, you will be just fine. As always, work hard to prove yourself through strong test scores.

Short answer: no
Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

does DO school prepare you well enough to take the USMLE?

Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, but you need to put in a little extra work studying some areas that the USMLE stresses more than the COMLEX.

Reactions: 12 users
Sorry guys, This is my first day on here lol! Was this a bad question to ask? I don't want to offend anyone because that was not my intent.

Sorry guys, This is my first day on here lol! Was this a bad question to ask? I don't want to offend anyone because that was not my intent.
Just learn to use the search function because all of these (and many more) have been asked a hundred times.

Haha, way to jump right into the madness, OP.

Welcome to SDN! :hello:

Reactions: 1 user
Most DOs are employed, but only 10-20% find work as physicians. Most are bartenders, secretaries, baristas, etc.

Reactions: 6 users
I was a DO, then I decided to become doctor. I'm top of my class at the Naturopathic College of Natural Medicine and can rest assured of getting a top residency in neurocardiac hydrotherapy. I can't wait to make medicare bank aligning people's chakras. Life goal: get to the top of the medicare reimbursement database.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a DO, then I decided to become doctor. I'm top of my class at the Naturopathic College of Natural Medicine and can rest assured of getting a top residency in neurocardiac hydrotherapy. I can't wait to make medicare bank aligning people's chakras. Life goal: get to the top of the medicare reimbursement database.

But DO is a doctor. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.

If you don't mind, what made you switch from osteopathic medicine to naturopathy?

Members don't see this ad :)

If you don't mind, what made you switch from osteopathic medicine to naturopathy?

Hipster chicks in PDX. Also, free massages and really awesome herb.

Reactions: 4 users

Not sure if serious or following the joke.

Reactions: 3 users

I can't tell if your joking or being serious...

So I'm assuming no one here thinks that DOs are doctors

Yep, I got my diploma out of a cereal box. Hmmm And I make $5/hr flipping burgers at McDonald's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Most DOs are employed, but only 10-20% find work as physicians. Most are bartenders, secretaries, baristas, etc.

Don't forget that a great many are employed by car dealerships and trucking companies.

It's true that most DOs leave medicine after they finish their residencies.

Don't forget that a great many are employed by car dealerships and trucking companies.

It's true that most DOs leave medicine after they finish their residencies.

I bought my last vehicle from a DO, and I wouldn't trust anyone other than a DO to deliver organic groceries to my doorstep. They're wonderful little people.

Nope. You can get DO from Devry online. Wouldn't trust it.

Well everyone on here thinks that DO's aren't real doctors, which is completely false! DO=MD

Nobody on the pre-DO forum thinks that. People on here tend to deal with this topic with sarcasm and humor because this topic is over-rated. You will find some ignorant folks around SDN who think that DOs aren't real doctors, but seriously those people just have to get over it. Anyways, I'm glad that you agree that DO=MD but I think you are preaching to the wrong choir.

:beat: :beat: :beat:

STICKIES. READ THE DAMN STICKIES

Nobody on the pre-DO forum thinks that. People on here tend to deal with this topic with sarcasm and humor because this topic is over-rated. You will find some ignorant folks around SDN who think that DOs aren't real doctors, but seriously those people just have to get over it. Anyways, I'm glad that you agree that DO=MD but I think you are preaching to the wrong choir.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the only people I've met that have an issue with DO tend to be people who are are not terribly competitive for med school to begin with. I'm not exactly sure of why this is, but I always found it odd that they would eschew a path to fulfilling a major life goal because of the letters behind their name. Then again, they also seemed to not want to settle for anything less than being a superstar [insert highly competitive residency here].

No. My grads are getting some great residencies.

Yes, especially for Step II. DO students do fare worse nationally on Step I, because the DO curriculum is stressed for COMLEX, not USMLE.

BUT if you do well in a DO program, and do well on COMLEX, then you should do well on USMLE. That's the trend for my students.

If I decide to go to DO school and apply for an MD residency, does DO school prepare you well enough to take the USMLE?[/QUOTE]

Do DO's have a harder time getting a job than MD's? If I decide to go to DO school and apply for an MD residency, does DO school prepare you well enough to take the USMLE?

DOs tend to perform not as well as MDs on the USMLE. Most schools focus on the COMLEX, the USMLE is something that you will study for on your own.

As far as your question about jobs, it depends upon the city. I know in a city like Boston, its pretty hard for DOs to work here, even for MDs the market is quite saturated. Then if you go to a city like Detroit or Cleveland, I would say the chances are much better.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the only people I've met that have an issue with DO tend to be people who are are not terribly competitive for med school to begin with. I'm not exactly sure of why this is, but I always found it odd that they would eschew a path to fulfilling a major life goal because of the letters behind their name. Then again, they also seemed to not want to settle for anything less than being a superstar [insert highly competitive residency here].
Don't underestimate the power of entitlement.

Yes, no one wants to hire them. Who cares if they are smart and hard workers. Those two letters make you radioactive.

Do you want to know the only place in the world where DO discrimination exists? Amongst ignorant pre-meds.

Do you really think that's true though? I've had more than one older MD tell me not to go DO because the education isn't on par with MD. And why do you think most "top tier" residency programs are absent DOs? I'm not saying there is any validity to the discrimination, I'm starting DO school this year, but don't pretend it doesn't exist.

Do you really think that's true though? I've had more than one older MD tell me not to go DO because the education isn't on par with MD. And why do you think most "top tier" residency programs are absent DOs? I'm not saying there is any validity to the discrimination, I'm starting DO school this year, but don't pretend it doesn't exist.

My dad is a MD that has been in practice with 30 years. He respects them a lot. He personally feels that DOs make amazing doctors especially in specialties such as cardiology. He said initials or the med schools they went to don't prove anything, the ability of the doctor to communicate and treat their patients correctly is 100x more important.

I've also had old DOs tell me not to trust MDs because they don't understand medicine like DOs do. Sometimes I feel old people just want an easy audience: like ignorant premeds.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Patients are never,ever going to care about your degree or where you trained. They just want to know if you can help them or not.

My dad is a MD that has been in practice with 30 years. He respects them a lot. He personally feels that DOs make amazing doctors especially in specialties such as cardiology. He said initials or the med schools they went to don't prove anything, the ability of the doctor to communicate and treat their patients correctly is 100x more important.

The overwhelming majority of MDs I've talked to view DO as completely equivalent to MD. But that doesn't change the fact that there are some that don't.

The overwhelming majority of MDs I've talked to view DO as completely equivalent to MD. But that doesn't change the fact that there are some that don't.
Yeah, this is unfortunate. The one MD I shadowed (pediatric dermatologist) told me to avoid DO at all cost (this coming even after I made it clear that dermatology is not an interest of mine). He was super disappointed when I told him I was going DO... which, I don't know... made me feel both confused and insulted, since I can't help but feel like he knows what he's talking about. It also doesn't help that a huge part of my other medical experience is at big Boston hospitals where everyone is a MD/PhD. I should have spent more time at my childhood DO hospital! :laugh:

So even though I know I should be really really excited to be starting medical school, I've also had a bit of shame drilled into me. Which sucks, because I really want to be excited. Down with the haters! :sendoff:

On topic: As far as I am aware, nearly all US MD and DO students who finish a residency become practicing physicians. I do not believe that either route puts you at any risk for joblessness... on the contrary, it's one of the safest routes to job security (thankfully).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Keywords bolded...
ONE (being not many out there)
OLDER (aka the past not the future)
MD (obviously biased towards his own training and most likely completely ignorant to DO training other than what his other older MD buddies talk about)

Top tier residency programs are absent of DOs simply because they say they can. There is no legitimate reason backed by research that would show that DO graduates would not perform as well in those environments. There is an argument for lack of exposure to traditional didactic/rounds training in DO clerkships which I could see as a reason for any discrimination. It is simply that the top residencies are run by people who are described as the bolded statement above.

Keywords bolded...
ONE (being not many out there)
OLDER (aka the past not the future)
MD (obviously biased towards his own training and most likely completely ignorant to DO training other than what his other older MD buddies talk about)

Top tier residency programs are absent of DOs simply because they say they can. There is no legitimate reason backed by research that would show that DO graduates would not perform as well in those environments. There is an argument for lack of exposure to traditional didactic/rounds training in DO clerkships which I could see as a reason for any discrimination. It is simply that the top residencies are run by people who are described as the bolded statement above.

The one older MD i referred to was just the one who outright said the education isn't equal. I've had several young MDs tell me not to go DO because it's harder to match specialties. (I work in a hostpial and am constantly talking to doctors--MD and DO--about their thoughts on the matter.

Again, I'm not saying qualified DOs don't deserve to gain top teir residency positions, or that they wouldn't perform well in them. But you said it yourself... some top teir residencies are absent of DOs "just because they can", which means that all else equal, they will opt for MD over DO.

The one older MD i referred to was just the one who outright said the education isn't equal. I've had several young MDs tell me not to go DO because it's harder to match specialties. (I work in a hostpial and am constantly talking to doctors--MD and DO--about their thoughts on the matter.

Again, I'm not saying qualified DOs don't deserve to gain top teir residency positions, or that they wouldn't perform well in them. But you said it yourself... some top teir residencies are absent of DOs "just because they can", which means that all else equal, they will opt for MD over DO.
I could absolutely agree with that then. I would agree that based upon the statistics and the amount of residencies in specialty areas that have been provided by the AOA, it is better to go MD. Obviously more opportunity for different specialties > less opportunity for range of specialties.

Unfortunately for many applicants however it looks like this: become a DO and figure out specialty stuff later > not become a physician at all