Do DO's match at prestigious IM spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bansheeDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of DO's matching at prestigious places like Stanford, UCLA, Johns Hopkins and Mayo for Internal Medicine?

I'm going to be a DO so this isn't one of those closet threads that attack DO's in general. I'm just curious for my own sake. If I received excellent scores, it is possible to at least to match at one of those places? Do they have any record of taking DO's in IM?

Members don't see this ad.

When my cousin(MD) was doing her IM residency at Yale she said that her chief during her intern year was a DO.

There's a couple at Hopkins and Mayo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bansheeDO
Have any of you heard of DO's matching at prestigious places like Stanford, UCLA, Johns Hopkins and Mayo for Internal Medicine?

I'm going to be a DO so this isn't one of those closet threads that attack DO's in general. I'm just curious for my own sake. If I received excellent scores, it is possible to at least to match at one of those places? Do they have any record of taking DO's in IM?

Check out the websites of the programs you are curious about.

Quite often then have a residents page where they list their residents, degree, and school they attended.

bansheeDO, for the schools you're interested in, ask for the match list. That information should be readily available.

For example, the school I'll be attending (OU-COM) gave me the match list for the past three years (2001-2003). OU-COM has residents in IM at the Cleveland Clinic and Yale. Last year one graduate matched into anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins. It all depends on you and how well you do in your rotations and boards.

Below is last year's match for IM at NYCOM. There's some strong programs on there. IM as a whole isnt ultra-competitive. I know D.O. friends of mine interviewing this year for IM at mayo, cleveland clinic, yale, columbia, dartmouth, etc. The match is next month. A few didnt even take the USMLE, only the COMLEX.

Internal Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY (4)
George Washington Univ, DC
Hershey, Penn State
Kaiser Perm, CA
Lennox Hill, NY (2)
Loma Linda, CA
LIJ, NY
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset (2)
New York Hospital, Queens, NY (6)
St Josephs, AZ
SUNY Stony Brook, NY
Univ of Southern California
Univ of Tennessee, Nashville
UMNDNJ- Newark (2)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood (4)
Univ of Mass, Worcester, MA
Westchester Medical Ctr, NY
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY (6)
Yale University, New Haven CT (2)

Originally posted by DireWolf
There's a couple at Hopkins and Mayo.

To my knowledge, there are no DOs in the IM program at Hopkins.

There are several osteopaths at Sinai (a community hospital with an affiliated IM program). Although this program carries the Hopkins name, it's very different than the Osler residency.

Cheers,
doepug

Originally posted by doepug

There are several osteopaths at Sinai (a community hospital with an affiliated IM program). Although this program carries the Hopkins name, it's very different than the Osler residency.

Cheers,
doepug

I think there is a D.O. in the IM program at Hopkins Bayview- he graduated from my school. He could be at Sinai.

Originally posted by doepug

Had a DO attending who did a AOA internship and then did his IM residency at Hopkins.

The point of this thread, OP, is that if you want to go somewhere, you can.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Had a DO attending who did a AOA internship and then did his IM residency at Hopkins.

The point of this thread, OP, is that if you want to go somewhere, you can.

Q, DO

I'm noticing that. Thanks everyone for the excellent replies. It's nice to see that as a DO, I'm not going to be as limited as I once thought.

:love: :clap:

Just because there aren't any DOs in a particular program that someone "knows of" doesn't mean you can't be the first, or the next.

We just had a speaker from OSU-COM who told us about her sister, who was the first DO to do a residency at Hopkins a number of years ago. TCOM just last year placed a graduate in a Hopkins Endocrinology fellowship (after doing a residency here in Texas, I think).

This is a young profession, our numbers of graduates are much smaller and our representation at allopathic programs represents that. Some programs do discriminate, but that is to be expected to some degree. However, that discrimination is dissipating rapidly as DOs circulate among MDs in allopathic programs.

Originally posted by kpax18
http://www.stmarymed.com/residents.htm

UCLA IM residency program

just to point out.....St. Mary's is not UCLA

also.....just because a residency program has a recognizable name, such as UCLA, Stanford, etc..., does not mean that it is a prestigious program.

For example, I know that UCLA has very good programs, and it also has poor programs. So when you look at a match list from any school, you need to do your homework.

But like Quinn said, the most important thing to know is that just because there is no history of a D.O. at a certain program does not mean that there won't be one in the future.

Also, rank lists also reflect geographical concerns. Many students are from areas close to the school. And therefore tend to stay in the general vicinity. So many times students take the so called "less than prestigious" spots.

Prestigious programs are really only very important if you want to go into academic medicine, or want a competitive fellowship. Even then, it's not the only determining factor.

SM-UCLA is absolutely right. Matching ucla-st. mary(or any of the affiliated programs) is very different than matching at ucla main campus, it isn't ucla. that being said though, i believe that someone from comp did match at the main campus this year.

oops, sorry for the mis-info

Just to chime in...I work with a DO who did his IM residency in the late 80's at Hopkins, so they've been familiar with DO's for a while.

There are DOs in about every field as you may already know this. THere are DOs in almost every institution.

last year when I interviewed for EM, I either got offered or went to interviews at:

Case Western Reserve / Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State University
Indiana University
Univ of Maryland
Univ of FL
Univ of South Florida
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical College of GA
Univ of Conn

EM is different from other specialties, as that our big names (Indiana, Denver, Cinci, Pitt) in our field are vastly different from the ones for IM (Harvard, Duke, Hopkins).

Q, DO

Quinn--

What did you think of Indiana?? Family situations might land me in that area (IN/IL) for residency and I'd be interested in your impressions. I noticed they had a few DOs on their house staff roster.

You can PM me if you want, so we don't get too off-topic here.

Thanks!

sj

DO's who match at Yale/New Haven (not to be confused with the Yale "affiliated" program in Greenwich, CT) have tended to be in the PRIMARY CARE TRACK versus the CATEGORICAL TRACK. I have heard that some individuals who have done PC programs have ultimately ended up in fellowship training after residency, but that the programs tend to frown on this practice of a 'back door' approach to getting into the program.

A previous poster was correct in saying that the smaller affiliated programs that happen to bear the name 'Hopkins' or whatever do not carry the same weight as the primary, university-based categorical residency programs. People choose their programs for many reasons, and the best way to find out if a program is 'solid' is to speak with residents, visit or extern there, etc.