Do ECs still matter in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolpremed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tired

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not really. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't want to admit to all the time they've wasted. Do it if you enjoy it.

Now go take a nap.

I mean research, publications, AOA, and demonstrated clinical experience (through sub-i's etc.) are 100% necessary for the competitive specialties.

Other pre-med BS isn't though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's AOA?
Alpha Omega Alpha...like Phi Beta Kappa except residency directors at top programs (read: surgery) actually care alot about whether you're a member. Some schools don't have AOA chapters though, which is nice/one less thing to do.

Other pre-med BS... like leadership and non-clinical community service?
I have but the most noble intentions for demonstrated peer leadership or weekend volunteerism, and would never imply such a thing :whistle:

Seriously though, a lot of the pre-med process is just jumping through hoops because it's a buyer's market (for schools) right now. If med schools experience an a la law school crisis, you can bet 99% of the stuff required now and even GPA/MCAT would become much less relevant.

Alpha Omega Alpha...like Phi Beta Kappa except residency directors at top programs (read: surgery) actually care alot about whether you're a member. Some schools don't have AOA chapters though, which is nice/one less thing to do.

I have but the most noble intentions for demonstrated peer leadership or weekend volunteerism, and would never imply such a thing :whistle:

Seriously though, a lot of the pre-med process is just jumping through hoops because it's a buyer's market (for schools) right now. If med schools experience an a la law school crisis, you can bet 99% of the stuff required now and even GPA/MCAT would become much less relevant.

Oh I see. But you still have to care about grades in med school right?

Oh I see. But you still have to care about grades in med school right?
Depends on your school's grading system. If it's P/F just don't fail. Many do P/F for pre-clinical and then some variation of Honors/HP/P/F for clinicals; in that case you'd ideally want to honor whatever field you're interested in going into (i.e. surgery and then your fourth year electives if you want to do neurosurg), and again don't fail anything else.

The big thing in med school really isn't grades, it's the Step exams. Those scores largely determine your competitiveness for the Match so a lot of classes/prep is designed around that.

Reactions: 1 users