DO EM program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you think there any major disadvantages to doing a straight osteopathic EM residency? I don't plan on being any kind of major authority. I just want to practice EM maybe in a small hosptial. I know if you want to be a major player in the profession, it's prob. a good idea to do a well respected allo program. Can anyone who is a DO specifically comment.

Thanks,

B-

Members don't see this ad.

BMW19 said:
Hey guys,

Do you think there any major disadvantages to doing a straight osteopathic EM residency? I don't plan on being any kind of major authority. I just want to practice EM maybe in a small hosptial. I know if you want to be a major player in the profession, it's prob. a good idea to do a well respected allo program. Can anyone who is a DO specifically comment.

Thanks,

B-

The main reasons I'm not doing it are program instability and length of training. AOA residencies and hospitals are in general less stable than ACGME residencies, per current residents and graduates I have spoken to. In addition, I lack the desire to undergo an extra year of training for no reason.

Can you clarify the "instability"? Does this mean residents are not getting thru the program for one reason or another? Or are you saying they just don't have their s___ together? The extra year is understandable, I thought there were some programs that count the internship toward your residency

B-

OSUdoc08 said:
The main reasons I'm not doing it are program instability and length of training. AOA residencies and hospitals are in general less stable than ACGME residencies, per current residents and graduates I have spoken to. In addition, I lack the desire to undergo an extra year of training for no reason.

BMW19 said:
Can you clarify the "instability"? Does this mean residents are not getting thru the program for one reason or another? Or are you saying they just don't have their s___ together? The extra year is understandable, I thought there were some programs that count the internship toward your residency

B-

Hospitals & residencies closing.

Ask current residents for details. This is MUCH more common with AOA than ACGME residencies.