Do extension courses (at UCLA for ex) count towards the BCPM/sci GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking an Physiological Science X400 course. The description for these courses are "Generally post-baccalaureate credit-bearing courses and lecture series in professional fields; designed in content, focus, and presentation style to standards of instruction used in degree programs. Credit earned in these courses may lead to the award of formal certificates by UCLA Extension, and may be transferable for advanced standing in degree programs in professional studies elsewhere, subject to the procedures of the receiving institution."

Will it count towards my BCMP GPA (the one that matters)? And will it still be considered undergrad? I am also trying to call institutions that I want to apply to in the future, but I'm still waiting for a response, which will probably happen after the refund date..

Members don't see this ad.

yes to both!
I'm taking an Physic "X400" course specifically, not an "XL" course. Did you take an "X400" course and have it count? I think it will count hopefully, since it's post-bacc, but just wanted to confirm before I sign up and pay $600+

Members don't see this ad :)
2 separate factors.

1) If the course is at the undergraduate level, it will still be counted towards BCPM.
2) If you already has a degree when you are taking this class, it will be listed in PB line.

So, if you dont already have a degree it will go directly to UG BCPM. If you have a degree, it will be counted in a separate PB line and then added to a cBCPM
I do already have a BS. I'm not sure if the course is undergrad level but it says it is "Generally post-baccalaureate credit-bearing courses and may be transferable for advanced standing in degree programs in professional studies elsewhere, subject to the procedures of the receiving institution" (so depending on what the school I apply to says which I plan to contact). I do know the course is NOT a graduate level course. Also, so it will be listed as PB, AND it WILL be counted towards my final BCPM (and not "graduate level") correct? PB also counts towards your undergrad GPA?

I do already have a BS. I'm not sure if the course is undergrad level but it says it is "Generally post-baccalaureate credit-bearing courses and may be transferable for advanced standing in degree programs in professional studies elsewhere, subject to the procedures of the receiving institution" (so depending on what the school I apply to says which I plan to contact). I do know the course is NOT a graduate level course. Also, so it will be listed as PB, AND it WILL be counted towards my final BCPM (and not "graduate level") correct? PB also counts towards your undergrad GPA?
Taking undergraduate courses after getting a degree is postbacc.
Taking undergraduate courses affects your uGPA and bcpmGPA.
Thus, postbacc courses affect your uGPA and bcpmGPA.

The phrasing that you quoted is essentially talking about how their classes tend to be treated if you apply for a school which specifically gives credit to some undergraduate courses. So, if you decided to get a second bachelors, you might get advanced standing due to these postbacc credits, or if you applied to a BSN program you might get some consideration for your Physiology course. Med schools look at all undergraduate work - any classes taken anywhere - but do not give credit for them or apply them for advanced standing in any way.

Also, as a note, the extensions tend to list things as 'Graduate level' when they could be used by an official graduate program. However, usually when you take those courses outside of an official graduate program, and without making specific arrangements with a grad school that you are actively enrolled in, they just count as ugrad courses. I'd call UCLAX and ask, but that's how it worked at UCBX.

I'm taking an Physic "X400" course specifically, not an "XL" course. Did you take an "X400" course and have it count? I think it will count hopefully, since it's post-bacc, but just wanted to confirm before I sign up and pay $600+

not me personally. but whether a physiC X400 or physio X400, it will count as bcpm. Just gotta follow the classification rules.

Reactions: 1 user
X vs XL makes no difference to AMCAS.
https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/fos/DegreeCreditFAQs.aspx

The difference between those two things is whether the courses are directly accepted by all UC undergrads. That is completely and utterly irrelevant to med schools. It is completely and utterly irrelevant to you forever and always unless perhaps you feel like applying to UG schools again to get a second bachelors (which, why would you?) It doesn't matter.

UC extensions pretty much only offer undergraduate coursework. There are a few courses which can, under exactly the right circumstances for a student who is already enrolled in an official graduate school program, also count as graduate work, but unless you fit the above description, every course you take there is a ugrad course and WILL count towards your AMCAS gpas (and BCPM depending on content.)

It's that simple.

Reactions: 1 users
X vs XL makes no difference to AMCAS.
https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/fos/DegreeCreditFAQs.aspx

The difference between those two things is whether the courses are directly accepted by all UC undergrads. That is completely and utterly irrelevant to med schools. It is completely and utterly irrelevant to you forever and always unless perhaps you feel like applying to UG schools again to get a second bachelors (which, why would you?) It doesn't matter.

UC extensions pretty much only offer undergraduate coursework. There are a few courses which can, under exactly the right circumstances for a student who is already enrolled in an official graduate school program, also count as graduate work, but unless you fit the above description, every course you take there is a ugrad course and WILL count towards your AMCAS gpas (and BCPM depending on content.)

It's that simple.

Thank you!!!! I'm doing DYI GPA repair and UCLA extension is the closest to me and at a fraction of cost compared to USC.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user