do FMGs have a good chance at matching(gyn/ob) if they get real good scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amirame

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know if you work hard you will get what you want so if i get good scores at the usmle will i have a chance to match as an FMG .why people here make it sound impossible?
i want to take my residency in the US , and i really to be a gyn/ob do you think it's very competetive if so what(s the least competetive speciality thanksattachFull194567

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-31_1-47-50.png
    upload_2015-7-31_1-47-50.png
    95 bytes · Views: 114
There are programs that take FMGs (non-US-citizens who are students at foreign medical schools). But unless you're, say, at the top of your class at the Royal College of Surgeons, it will be very tough. Even with great USLME scores (difficult to achieve if not a native English speaker), a lack of US clinical experience and visa issues can make it hard to get programs to take a look at you. So there is a chance, but without knowing anything else about you I don't know if I'd call it a good one.

Reactions: 1 user
There are programs that take FMGs (non-US-citizens who are students at foreign medical schools). But unless you're, say, at the top of your class at the Royal College of Surgeons, it will be very tough. Even with great USLME scores (difficult to achieve if not a native English speaker), a lack of US clinical experience and visa issues can make it hard to get programs to take a look at you. So there is a chance, but without knowing anything else about you I don't know if I'd call it a good one.
I am from france now I am taking my residency(ob/gyn) here in france . my husband is American (has nothing to do with medecin) now he wants to go back to the US he thinks it's as simple as that to get into a residency program there . What can IMG applicants do to improve their chances ? iread somewhere that of all the IMG's that come to the US , 90-95% will not obtain a residency.and The few that do, do so, after either years and years of trying, or, because they know people in high places who 'pull strings' for them. is that true

Members don't see this ad :)
my husband is American (has nothing to do with medecin) now he wants to go back to the US he thinks it's as simple as that to get into a residency program there

Quite simply, he's wrong. You should tell him that. It would be a long, difficult, costly process that could end with no residency for you and therefore no chance to get licensed in the USA. I know several people who were fully licensed physicians in their home country, and ended up taking lower-level jobs (scrub/first assist, research assistant) because of the lengthy, tough path to US training. You two need to have a long talk about what is the most important for you. Would he still want to move back if it meant you losing your career?

Here's a rough overview of what it would take to get to where you can practice in ObGyn or family med plus obstetrics in the US, after doing some or all of your ObGyn residency in France.

1. Register with ECFMG and get certified. Usually this means getting transcripts evaluated and taking an English proficiency exam. ecfmg.org
2. Take the 3 US board exams (USMLE 1,2,3). 2 & 3 have parts that have to be taken in the US. Prep is difficult and expensive. Step 3 may be later in the process, but many foreign grads get it done early to add to credibility. nbme.org
3. Find US programs that will allow you to do observerships, such as inpatient medicine. This gets you recommendation letters and credibility. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/graduate-medical-education/freida-online.page?
4. Apply for residency in late summer. Many foreign grads apply to over 100 programs.
5. Go on residency interviews October - February.
6. Wait for the match in March. If you match, you are legally bound to take the spot. If you don't match, you can try to pick up an unfilled spot, or try again the next year. The match rate for foreign medical grads is currently 50% and falling. You can get more info on the match at nrmp.org.
7. Deal with citizenship and permanent residency paperwork. Learn how to live in the US etc.

The above is what you have to do before 4 years of residency. If you can work full time on these objectives, earning nothing and spending a great deal, then it could theoretically be done in 2 years.

Of note, the US is enormous and fragmented. You can't assume you'll have any control over where you end up for residency.

Hope that helps. Basically your husband is asking you to redo your training, have no income for 2+ years, and then have a minimum wage job with an 80 hour work week for 4 years.

If you do not yet have any experience with US healthcare, I suggest getting some exposure as a first step. You will almost certainly find it barbaric. You may have heard of Obamacare: 50% of the US thinks Obamacare is bad because it's not socialized medicine, and the other 50% thinks Obamacare is bad because it is socialized medicine.

Best of luck to you.

Here's a rough overview of what it would take to get to where you can practice in ObGyn or family med plus obstetrics in the US, after doing some or all of your ObGyn residency in France.

1. Register with ECFMG and get certified. Usually this means getting transcripts evaluated and taking an English proficiency exam. ecfmg.org
2. Take the 3 US board exams (USMLE 1,2,3). 2 & 3 have parts that have to be taken in the US. Prep is difficult and expensive. Step 3 may be later in the process, but many foreign grads get it done early to add to credibility. nbme.org
3. Find US programs that will allow you to do observerships, such as inpatient medicine. This gets you recommendation letters and credibility. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/graduate-medical-education/freida-online.page?
4. Apply for residency in late summer. Many foreign grads apply to over 100 programs.
5. Go on residency interviews October - February.
6. Wait for the match in March. If you match, you are legally bound to take the spot. If you don't match, you can try to pick up an unfilled spot, or try again the next year. The match rate for foreign medical grads is currently 50% and falling. You can get more info on the match at nrmp.org.
7. Deal with citizenship and permanent residency paperwork. Learn how to live in the US etc.

The above is what you have to do before 4 years of residency. If you can work full time on these objectives, earning nothing and spending a great deal, then it could theoretically be done in 2 years.

Of note, the US is enormous and fragmented. You can't assume you'll have any control over where you end up for residency.

Hope that helps. Basically your husband is asking you to redo your training, have no income for 2+ years, and then have a minimum wage job with an 80 hour work week for 4 years.

If you do not yet have any experience with US healthcare, I suggest getting some exposure as a first step. You will almost certainly find it barbaric. You may have heard of Obamacare: 50% of the US thinks Obamacare is bad because it's not socialized medicine, and the other 50% thinks Obamacare is bad because it is socialized medicine.

Best of luck to you.
really informative thank you :)

Dr. Midlife, you are wrong. I appreciate all the opinion that state it clear. it is almost dead end for FMG to get OBGYN in USA.

I am unfortunately in this crap situation, I have been looking for residency after I came from my country to USA because my American husband want to comeback. This is my 5 years looking for resdiency and doing researches.. publications ..earning nothing.. paying for my rents living and no one helping me or even look at me,, or even give me a chance. on top of this, my American husband have divorced me and let me struggle in this battle alone. Americans are horrible people they killed my career, marriage, and am now taking anti anxiety medications to stay calm. They don't accept FMG and even if you were the top of your class or even have super high scores. Now i am thinking to shoot myself because even other specialties like FM IM peds, dont want to give me residency training also.

here is my suggestions for any FMG have OBGYN career in home country and need to do OBGYN:
1- FORGET ABOUT COMING TO USA.
2- IF YOU MARRIED TO AMERICAN, TRY TO SELECT YOUR MARRIAGE OR YOUR CAREER.. AND LIVE WITH IT.
3- IF YOU STILL NEED YOUR MARRIAGE AND YOUR CAREER AND NEED TO COME TO THE STATE.. SO ONLY WAY IS TO DO MEDICAL SCHOOL AGAIN IN USA. AND GOOD NEWS IN THIS OPTION THAT YOU DONT NEED TO STRUGGLE TO GET USMLE ALONE. MEDICAL SCHOOL WILL HELP YOU, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO MCAT OR CHOOSE OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOL THAT MIGHT TAKE YOU WITHOUT MCAT IF YOU HAVE ECFMG CERTIFICATE.
4- DONT EVER VOLUNTEER FOR YEARS ... I CHEEP MYSELF AND ALL WHAT I GET DISRESPECT.. NO ONE TALK TO ME OR HELP.
5- DONT NOT DO PUBLICATION TO ANY ONE EVEN IF HE TOLD YOU I WILL GET YOU RESIDENCY ... HE WILL NOT
6- YOU CAN GIVE UP OBGYN AND WORK ANYTHING ELSE.. LIKE IM OR FM.. THIS IS PRECIOUS ADVISE, BUT IN MY CASE I WAS APPLYING TO ALL OF THEM AND NOW ONE SENT TO ME IV.. AND WHEN I CALL TO ASK THEY SAID YOU ARE AN ATTRACTIVE APPLICANT FOR OBGYN AND YOUR DEDICATION FOR OBGYN IS KILLING YOUR CHANCE FOR ANY OTHER FIELD..THATS WHAT PROGRAM DIRECTOR OF IM SAID TO ME AFTER REVIEWING MY APPLICATION AND DESPITE THIS I KEPT APPLYING TO ALL IMG FRIENDLY IM AND FM programs without hope.
6- IT SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING ILLEGAL GOING ON AGAINST THE FMG WHO ANT TO GET OBGYN IN USA... SOMETHING FROM ACOG OR APOG WHO TAKE IT AS A GENERAL RULE TO NOT TAKE FMG... IT IS UNFAIR

NOW I AM PRAYING EVERY DAY IN THE CHURCH TO FIND A WAY OUT TO AVOID SHOOTING MYSELF ...

Last edited:
Thanks for your advise. I am on antidepressants and believe me prayers is best thing to ease you

This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.