DO for Canadians: 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not sure. Are you from BC? Are you applying this year?
Yes, I'm from BC and am applying this cycle. Dream school is MSU-COM. Are you from BC as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from BC too.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo. Victory party in Van city when we get our acceptances!

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Applying next cylce, so i'll be a while, but goodluck to you :thumbup::D

That's awesome guys! Great to know there are at least a few of us out there. I went to UBC. Where did everyone else go to school? Are you guys all applying for the first time?

I tought there were not interviews at MSUCOM

Yes, I am from BC (Victoria). I am in LA now and will be starting at Western next week. Nice to see there are more people from the West coast this time around.

Quick question for you guys, would it be better to take the mcat late may or early july so that I am in time for invites and secondaries. I will still submit June 1st if I take the mcat late june/early july, but I am worried MSU will be filled by the time my scores come in around August. Thanks!

I've got a question for Canadians from Ontario thinking about attending MSUCOM.

What are you thoughts on living in Windsor and doing the daily commute w/ nexus pass? (assuming you choose the DMC campus)? How much is an annual nexus pass? It is a pain in the butt or manageable?

I'm starting to look for a place to live in the downtown area, but am open to other options... living in Windsor being one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)

What are you thoughts on living in Windsor and doing the daily commute w/ nexus pass? (assuming you choose the DMC campus)? How much is an annual nexus pass? It is a pain in the butt or manageable?

I'm starting to look for a place to live in the downtown area, but am open to other options... living in Windsor being one of them.

Hey man,

I am actually from Windsor and my family lives here. I am only going to MUSCOM if I am assigned the DMC campus, and I plan on driving across the border to class/lab. I think it will be completely manageable. It is literally 25 minutes from my house, and I know of people who commute from Windsor to Wayne State on a daily basis. My point is I think it will be just fine because we will not have many mandatory classes anyways (since we are at the DMC campus). I haven't looked into the Nexus passes all that much yet. Hope that helps.

Nice, thanks for the response. It's good to know that is a viable option! Something I will definitely consider. I'm going to PM you with a few more questions :p

Quick informal poll, but how many of the Canadian applicants here are dual citizens with the States?

So lucky! Essentially then, you're treated no different than an american applicant :)

I am currently attending MSU at the DMC campus and commute from Windsor every day. I live in an apartment on the river just outside of the downtown area. It is just a short drive to the tunnel and the whole trip to the DMC is about 15 minutes. It would be ideal for you especially if you get Nexus.

I am currently attending MSU at the DMC campus and commute from Windsor every day. I live in an apartment on the river just outside of the downtown area. It is just a short drive to the tunnel and the whole trip to the DMC is about 15 minutes. It would be ideal for you especially if you get Nexus.

That's awesome to hear :) I will definitely stay in Windsor if accepted to MSU (assuming I am placed at DMC campus).

Awesome to hear! I am definitely going to try and make this work.

I'm going to drive down this weekend even to go scope things out haha!

In an ideal world, if we got acceptances from all schools that take canadians, what would be the three best choices for a canadian wanting to return?

Awesome to hear! I am definitely going to try and make this work.

I'm going to drive down this weekend even to go scope things out haha!

Wow, just got back from our weekend trip to DMC and EL. Man... EL has a beautiful campus- typical university town, but very cute haha. Windsor was also very charming. Tough choice between the two. Detroit was a little rough however. We saw a lot of abandoned lots.. too bad.

Do all of these schools accept letters through Interfolio or no? I just want to make sure that I do not give my letter writers a hard time and arrange everything beforehand if any of these schools don't use interfolio.
MSU-COM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUMB
NOVA
Touro-NY
Western
LMU
LECOM
UNECOM
MU-COM

Do all of these schools accept letters through Interfolio or no? I just want to make sure that I do not give my letter writers a hard time and arrange everything beforehand if any of these schools don't use interfolio.
MSU-COM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUMB
NOVA
Touro-NY
Western
LMU
LECOM
UNECOM
MU-COM

Not MSU.

II at Unecom. Any canadian interviews Sep 12?. Any advise on travelling arrangements

anyone know any DO doctors in BC that allows shadowing?

I went to the DO association website and emailed them for some BC contacts. There's not many, if I remember correctly, one in Victoria and one in Vancouver.

2 of the 3 are unavailable for shadowing, I wouldn't worry too much, just get an MD letter. They know there aren't many DO's in Canada, that's what the adcom for MSU told me.

they dont care MD is good
the distinction keeps getting more grey every year

Yah, unlike in the states where there are more DO's, in Canada there is almost none. An MD letter is perfectly fine as a Canadian Applicant.

Oh sweet

I see..
Cheers

Do you guys just call in?
How you get to the doctor? Last time I left a message with the front desk and faxed them something. Yet no replies at all…

Oh sweet

I see..
Cheers

Do you guys just call in?
How you get to the doctor? Last time I left a message with the front desk and faxed them something. Yet no replies at all…

Walk into their clinic and talk to them face to face.

Has anyone taken any courses with Thompson Rivers University or Athabasca, both online?

I'm specifically looking into cell bio and genetics.

Has anyone taken any courses with Thompson Rivers University or Athabasca, both online?

I'm specifically looking into cell bio and genetics.

I took an Engish course at Athabasca. My teaching assistant was really really harsh.:rolleyes:

Hi everyone long time lurker first time poster. Just wondering what you guys think of my chances are for acceptance with DO schools?

- Sent in my AACOMAS application on Monday August 20, I suppose it won't get verified until Mid Sept at best. I made a dumb mistake thinking I had to submit my LOR with the rest of my application to AACOMAS so I waited like 2 months more than I had to. :mad:

- cGPA is 3.14, sGPA is 2.98
yes my GPA is that low, I have completed 3 years worth of studies, my GPA's were 2.3 3.6 and 3.6 going from first year to third. My first year being a total abomination, I signed up for the UBC Science One class that was supposedly for the best high schoolers who wanted a challenge, it was 25 credits worth and I ended up with a 65% grade :(, hence bringing my entire GPA down big time. I am hoping the upward trend will make a bit of a difference.

I have considered retaking all my first year science courses with Athabasca to boost my GPA back to a 3.4 or 3.5 :xf: in my AACOMAS application, but I haven't been able to find out any information about the retake policy since I am in such a unique situation with my Science One class.

- MCAT taken once, ended up with 29Q, VR:7 BS:11 PS:11

- EC average, been volunteering at a research lab, have a ton of volunteering hours at special olympics

- LOR - I have one from a biology professor who I know very well so I know for sure it will be a very good letter, one from a local DO in Vancouver, and I am getting another one from a different science professor but that one I expect will be very generic as the professor only recognized my face but didn't know my name before I introduced myself.

So all in all, I realize my application is weak. The Science One 65% grade thats worth 25 credits really kills (AMCAS conversion would have been 2.7 instead of 2.3). I don't really expect to get any interest from the top DO schools, but I am hoping to get a few interviews from the new schools that just opened up since I put in a lot of effort into the personal statement. Do you think that might happen? Thanks for everyone;s help!

Your MCAT score is awesome. Your GPA is on the low side. If you can improve your GPA through grade replacement, then you are set...

To those of you from BC applying to MSU...If you get accepted make sure you bring your Canucks jersey with you...we gotta go to a Canucks/wings game :D.

Btw, I'm a first year at MSU, if anyone has any questions, ask away!!

To those of you from BC applying to MSU...If you get accepted make sure you bring your Canucks jersey with you...we gotta go to a Canucks/wings game :D.

Btw, I'm a first year at MSU, if anyone has any questions, ask away!!

hahaha you got it. die hard fan here (as seen with my username, lol)

what are my chances? I have mcat score of 30p(v8p11b11) and sci cGPA3.91, non sci-3.76 and over all 3.86....
i will be submitting my primary application this coming weekend. Am i late for this year? Do i have any chance?

you're not late, but do it as soon as possible especially for MSU.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT – QUEBEC FIRST ITERATION CARMS MATCH NOW OPEN TO US OSTEOPATHIC GRADUATES!!

Hi everyone, this is breaking announcement. As of August 29th 2012, CaRMs has officially updated that Canadian graduates of US Osteopathic Medical Schools are now eligible for the 1st iteration of the CaRMs match for all Quebec medical schools.

This breakthrough finally came through after months of dedication and hard work from the Canadian Osteopathic Association (COA), especially the president of the Ontario chapter of the COA. The COA and COMSA have been aware and in contact with the Quebec licensing authorities since early 2012. A verbal agreement was reached early in the year, but the official confirmation came today.

The COA and COMSA are working diligently on behalf of ALL Canadians, present and future, who are or will be studying at US Osteopathic medical schools to ensure that the pathway home is clear. This is the beginning of many more great things to come!!

As always, stay tuned!

I have received a secondary prompt from pcom but is it safe to say that completing it will just be a money grab for them? They aren't known to take Canadians right?

what are my chances? I have mcat score of 30p(v8p11b11) and sci cGPA3.91, non sci-3.76 and over all 3.86....
i will be submitting my primary application this coming weekend. Am i late for this year? Do i have any chance?

with a 3.9 GPA i think you should give MD schools a shot as well. :thumbup:

I have received a secondary prompt from pcom but is it safe to say that completing it will just be a money grab for them? They aren't known to take Canadians right?

yes. Don't apply!

For people applying to CCOM and AZCOM and other schools that require prepayment of tuition, how are you guys planning on paying if u get accepted? My OG plan was to have my US Citizen sister, cosign me for an american student loan, but in the CCOM international student guide it says:

"Though it is permissible for you to access a student loan program for your educational funding, a "preapproved loan" cannot be substituted in lieu of the required U.S. bank account deposit. In other words, loan funds and lines of credit will not be acceptable documentation for approval of your visa."

So now im debating whether its even worth it to submit those secondaries bc i have no clue how to arrange that amount of money without loans or LOCs.

For people applying to CCOM and AZCOM and other schools that require prepayment of tuition, how are you guys planning on paying if u get accepted? My OG plan was to have my US Citizen sister, cosign me for an american student loan, but in the CCOM international student guide it says:

"Though it is permissible for you to access a student loan program for your educational funding, a "preapproved loan" cannot be substituted in lieu of the required U.S. bank account deposit. In other words, loan funds and lines of credit will not be acceptable documentation for approval of your visa."

So now im debating whether its even worth it to submit those secondaries bc i have no clue how to arrange that amount of money without loans or LOCs.

Don't quote me on it but I thought I had heard you can move your LOC amount into another account as proof and then move it back?

Don't quote me on it but I thought I had heard you can move your LOC amount into another account as proof and then move it back?

yes you can (should) do that. once you get your visa yyou don't need that money anymore.