DO for Canadians: 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't quote me on it but I thought I had heard you can move your LOC amount into another account as proof and then move it back?
Thanks for the reply. Anyone know if the same can be done with US student loans? I think it will be hard for me to get LOC from Canadian banks, so a private student loan from US will probably be what i will go with.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call the banks directly just to make sure you would have access to all the money right away but getting the US loan and transferring it is what I've heard other people do

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a NY Touro secondary, and am debating whether to fill it out. Do they accept many Canadians?

I just received a NY Touro secondary, and am debating whether to fill it out. Do they accept many Canadians?
they're very canadian friendly. I got accepted off waitlist last year. I had my interview in march...pretty darn late

hello fellow Canadians,
have you guys looked into process of getting back and stuff? or are you guys planning on staying there? Ive recently been stressing about it and I was hoping to share my worried with you poeple. lol.

hello fellow Canadians,
have you guys looked into process of getting back and stuff? or are you guys planning on staying there? Ive recently been stressing about it and I was hoping to share my worried with you poeple. lol.

Most likely going to stay there!

I am a Canadian applicant who was suppossed to be verified today, but got the message saying my application was undelievered because my Ryerson Uni transcript does not have the conversion scale and I will have to go through the evaluation process which is another $500 plus the delay in application verification. Did anyone else from Canada have to go through this or is it me only? If someone did, what was their experience? After getting the evaluation done, do they right away verify you or it takes some additional time?

Any input will be immensely appreciated!

I am a Canadian applicant who was suppossed to be verified today, but got the message saying my application was undelievered because my Ryerson Uni transcript does not have the conversion scale and I will have to go through the evaluation process which is another $500 plus the delay in application verification. Did anyone else from Canada have to go through this or is it me only? If someone did, what was their experience? After getting the evaluation done, do they right away verify you or it takes some additional time?

Any input will be immensely appreciated!

Hey,

I got an evaluation done through WES. I had to have my transcript mailed to them from my university, and then they converted it and sent it to AACOMAS and my home address. Whole process takes a couple weeks at the minimum if I remember correctly. Goodluck!

Hey

Thanks for your reply. This is what I am planning to do too except that I will want to pay more and make everything express. However, what I am not too sure of is whether they will they verify my application right away since I was suppossed to be verified today or will they make me wait all over again?

P.S. Did you get your Ryerson transcript verified or was it some other school?

Hey

Thanks for your reply. This is what I am planning to do too except that I will want to pay more and make everything express. However, what I am not too sure of is whether they will they verify my application right away since I was suppossed to be verified today or will they make me wait all over again?

P.S. Did you get your Ryerson transcript verified or was it some other school?

You will have to call AACOMAS and see what they say about the verification. I go to UWO.

You will have to call AACOMAS and see what they say about the verification. I go to UWO.

Yeah they asked me to get the evaluation done which will be another two weeks from now. I was almost five weeks through the processing time, so not sure if they will put me in the end of the processing queue or not once I have the evaluation. Their reps are really confused people, some say yes it will be all over and others say no, it will not be.

Would you mind asking me how did it go for you? Did they make you wait for 3-6 weeks after recieving the evaluation or did they start from wherever your application was when they asked you to get the evaluation done?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Quebec applicants know how Osteo schools deal with CEGEP transcripts? I sent out emails but no bites yet. Was wondering if anybody was in my position.

Yeah they asked me to get the evaluation done which will be another two weeks from now. I was almost five weeks through the processing time, so not sure if they will put me in the end of the processing queue or not once I have the evaluation. Their reps are really confused people, some say yes it will be all over and others say no, it will not be.

Would you mind asking me how did it go for you? Did they make you wait for 3-6 weeks after recieving the evaluation or did they start from wherever your application was when they asked you to get the evaluation done?
I had my evaluation done before the application cycle opened up. So I can not answer that for you!

those of you applying to CCOM and AZCOM, the requirement of showing 300+K in the bank account in the US was changed last year and now you can just put that money into a Canadian bank and show them (major banks BMO, scotia etc)

Just thought id let you guys know/

those of you applying to CCOM and AZCOM, the requirement of showing 300+K in the bank account in the US was changed last year and now you can just put that money into a Canadian bank and show them (major banks BMO, scotia etc)

Just thought id let you guys know/

Damn. Still doesn't help that I need to show 370K in a friggin; bank. That's ridiculous.

Damn. Still doesn't help that I need to show 370K in a friggin; bank. That's ridiculous.

Yeah man. Still trying to figure out how ima come up with that.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

has anyone applied to CCOM here? how long did it take them to update the reference letter received?

thanks

I'm a Canadian lurker as well and I was hoping someone here could help me out. I only applied to MSU and according to AACOMAS my app was released Aug 30th but I still haven't received the secondary? Should I be worried, anyone know how long it takes to receive it? And I checked to make sure it wasn't in my junk mail either. The longer it takes the less of a chance I feel I have so would really like to get it done since its getting pretty late into the cycle. Thanks in advance!

Could anyone clarify the English course prereq that most D.O. schools require? It says that you need "6 Sem. hrs" --- I have no idea if this means we need one half credit (1 semester) of English, or if we require a full year course (2 semesters) of English ... if more than one poster could answer this, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Could anyone clarify the English course prereq that most D.O. schools require? It says that you need "6 Sem. hrs" --- I have no idea if this means we need one half credit (1 semester) of English, or if we require a full year course (2 semesters) of English ... if more than one poster could answer this, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

It is one year of English. I am 100% sure.

It is one year of English. I am 100% sure.

Thanks! Would you happen to know if humanities course(s) can be substituted for the English course requirement? I went to UofT and we never had to take ENG courses for science programs.

if anyone is applying to LMU-DCOM...
send me a pm...would not mind helping you out/ showing you around the place during interviews!!

goodluck fellow canadians!

I started at CCOM this year and for the financial proof it had to be a US bank, US funds, in the US. I saw the post earlier saying it could be a Canadian bank. You'll want to double check that because at CCOM it was not an option.

I did the prepay of four years tuition. When you do the math it's not such a bad idea. It freezes your tuition rate which is excellent because it goes up 3-5% every year. Extra handy if you get a good exchange rate.

If you prepay you don't have to show the 370K in the bank. Prepaying was ~258K.

I'm a Canadian lurker as well and I was hoping someone here could help me out. I only applied to MSU and according to AACOMAS my app was released Aug 30th but I still haven't received the secondary? Should I be worried, anyone know how long it takes to receive it? And I checked to make sure it wasn't in my junk mail either. The longer it takes the less of a chance I feel I have so would really like to get it done since its getting pretty late into the cycle. Thanks in advance!

No its only been 2 weeks. Last year canadian spots filled up by early october, so you are kind of late--make sure you get everything asap once you have the secondary.

Which LECOM Campus is Canadian friendly? Erie or Bradenton or both?

WesternU Pomona is supposed to be Canadian friendly correct? I sent them a primary in June and still never heard back. Should I email an admissions coordinator?

WesternU Pomona is supposed to be Canadian friendly correct? I sent them a primary in June and still never heard back. Should I email an admissions coordinator?

Call them for a quicker response. I sent my primary in June and have had an interview scheduled for a month or so already.

Is UNECOM Canadian friendly? Is there anyone who is currently a student there?

I got to see my verified application today as it was sent to schools. One thing that was really wierd was that they put 6 semester hours for prereq courses that I have completed. For instance, I have 2 credits for organic chemistry with lab and those are listed as 6 hours instead of 8, with a deficit of 2 hrs. What is that suppossed to mean? Do I need to take more courses? Or do they list Canadian courses like that but schools automatically consider them as 8 hrs?

It will be a problem for some schools. I had to explain it to KCUMB and Western. MSU and AZCOM didn't need any explaining. Don't worry about it for now.

Thanks for the reply. Did you call them up and bring it to their attention or did they contact you for that?
It will be a problem for some schools. I had to explain it to KCUMB and Western. MSU and AZCOM didn't need any explaining. Don't worry about it for now.

I started at CCOM this year and for the financial proof it had to be a US bank, US funds, in the US. I saw the post earlier saying it could be a Canadian bank. You'll want to double check that because at CCOM it was not an option.

I did the prepay of four years tuition. When you do the math it's not such a bad idea. It freezes your tuition rate which is excellent because it goes up 3-5% every year. Extra handy if you get a good exchange rate.

If you prepay you don't have to show the 370K in the bank. Prepaying was ~258K.

hey,

im attending CCOM as well, and all my funds were shown through BMO using Canadian dollars. The policy was changed last year. Although prepay is not a bad option either, if you have the funds available.

For the English requirement, some schools accept writing intensive courses instead. For example I took philosophy instead of English and had no issue with any of the schools I applied to.

:eek:
For the English requirement, some schools accept writing intensive courses instead. For example I took philosophy instead of English and had no issue with any of the schools I applied to.

:eek:

How do most canadians finance their four years? Where do they draw the funds from? Any scholarships, grants, loans, OSAP, etc. to note?

How do most canadians finance their four years? Where do they draw the funds from? Any scholarships, grants, loans, OSAP, etc. to note?

Also need an answer to this... I am looking at LOCs. Unfortunately they are not even enough to cover my expenses at MSUCOM...Not happy atm.

Accepted 9/26 to MSU-COM class of 2017! Woot!

Mayer- its nice to see we will have some uwo representation at msu. Are you still thinking about commuting from windsor?

same i'll see ya there!
Yeah for sure. Super excited to meet everyone! Which site are you leaning toward?

By the way, I see you've changed your signature as well. It felt good changing it :)

Mayer- its nice to see we will have some uwo representation at msu. Are you still thinking about commuting from windsor?

Indeed it is! I am. I may have changed m sig a little too soon. I can only afford MSU if I am placed at the DMC site which I will not know until January. But I will definitely commute from Windsor during pre-clinical years at least.

Yeah for sure. Super excited to meet everyone! Which site are you leaning toward?

By the way, I see you've changed your signature as well. It felt good changing it :)

DMC only. And yeah it did feel pretty good!!

DMC only. And yeah it did feel pretty good!!
Did you ever visit the school? I am on the west coast and have not gotten a chance to visit. I've been doing lots of research on the different sites and feel like DMC and Macomb appeal to me more because I won't have to move again during clinical years.

Did you ever visit the school? I am on the west coast and have not gotten a chance to visit. I've been doing lots of research on the different sites and feel like DMC and Macomb appeal to me more because I won't have to move again during clinical years.

No I havent. I am only going DMC because I live in Windsor. But that's good to know clinicals are in detroit as well.