DO for the right reasons??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardiacGuy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what is the percentage of persons in DO schools who really wanted to get into allopathic school? Are there really people out there who see DO school as a "backup"? I have a great deal of respect for the theory behind osteopathic medicine and the docs who practice it. Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect that allot of people wanted to go to MD schools but could not get in and went to DO schools instead.

Of course, then there are those of us who used MD as a backup to DO--yes, I was accepted to both and chose the best program, not the most accepted letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then there were those of us who didn't care. ie first acceptance is the school of choice.

I didn't apply to any allopathic schools this year because I didn't think they would accept my low MCAT and low GPA. However, I am taking my MCAT again in April 2002. Hopefully, I can make some significant improvements. And when I do apply, it will just be for my two state schools since the tuition is cheap and one of the schools is ranked in the top 25.

However, I did apply to DO schools instead, but not as backup, but as a means of hoping to become a physician. I have shadowed a DO in family practice and there is no difference that I found between a DO and MD. I think both practice good patient advocacy. Yes, the DO has extra training in muscle manipulation, and one factor that appeals to me, but I also see it seldomly used.
Also for me, one of the drawbacks for DO schools is that they are all expensive compared to my two state MD schools.