DO-Friendly Allopathic Gen Surg spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, cause a flame war or anything else like that.

Im just looking for reasonable information on allopathic general surgery programs that are considered DO-friendly.

I was speaking to someone recently about a program and they told me that the program has never taken DOs and has rejected many qualified DO candidates, but readily accepts FMGs. In looking at the program website that seems to be true...docs from India, Pakistan, Israel and Spain...but no osteopathic grads.

Just want to know which programs would be a waste of my time to include.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

which program did you talk to? Send me a PM if you dont want to post.

I believe there are a couple of programs in afganistan. But I hear that Americans have not done too well applying there.

Members don't see this ad :)
goooooober said:
I believe there are a couple of programs in afganistan. But I hear that Americans have not done too well applying there.

Right. Thanks. ;)

I hope to match into my top choice DO program, but I would very much like to stay in Pennsylvania/Delaware/New Jersey.

JPHazelton said:
Right. Thanks. ;)

I hope to match into my top choice DO program, but I would very much like to stay in Pennsylvania/Delaware/New Jersey.

I have read extensively on this and have also spoken to a lot of residents. the bottom line is that none really knows. One program may be anti-DO one year and then choose a DO and vice versa. Also, programs that do not generally take DOs may become inclined to do so if their application pool is not so hot or if you are really hot (academically of course). If you are applying to DO programs then just make sure that you impress the PD and maybe he will give the spot on the spot. Otherwise, apply to all the allo programs that you would like to go to and see what happens, you just never know. Peace out and let me know what happens. It will be interesting to see what the trend is this year. And for your information, afghanistan can be a very lovely place during the fall at nights when it is pitch black.