DO from America or MD from Caribbean, which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys which one has a better chance for residencies? DO from the States or MD from Caribbean?

Members don't see this ad.

sekem said:
Guys which one has a better chance for residencies? DO from the States or MD from Caribbean?

Personally, I would go American DO before resorting to the Carib for anything. But that's me.

I want a program that I know is going to fit me and I think I could find that amoung the DO schools. I don't think I trust the programs that take just about anyone that applies.

vl006029.jpg

^sekem

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on a lot of things: board scores, class standing, research, and desired specialty. IM or FM? Either way you'll find a slot. Derm? Good luck regardless of where you went to school!

sekem said:

you're stirring the pot. you know what the response to this thread will be

DO from american school. people rag on DOs but the stigma that they're stupider docs is quickly changing. the DO education is the same as an MD's education, just a different philosophy and with added manipulation techniques.

The thing about an MD from a Carribean school (or other international school), you will always have an MD after your name. I don't know which will give you a better shot at a residency program, (my guess is DO), but I personally would advise you to have that MD after your name. That said, the difference in respect for MD and Do probably varies greatly by part of the country and community you are in, so it may not matter where you choose to practice. But, if it does matter, remember, you do not cart around your diploma, but you do keep your MD/DO by your name all the time. This is not to say that you would be better trained at one program over another, just talking about perceptions and how they are interpreted. IMHO, of course.

yourmom25 said:
DO from american school. people rag on DOs but the stigma that they're stupider docs is quickly changing. the DO education is the same as an MD's education, just a different philosophy and with added manipulation techniques.
Using the word "stupider" certainly won't help

paradisedoc said:
The thing about an MD from a Carribean school (or other international school), you will always have an MD after your name. I don't know which will give you a better shot at a residency program, (my guess is DO), but I personally would advise you to have that MD after your name. That said, the difference in respect for MD and Do probably varies greatly by part of the country and community you are in, so it may not matter where you choose to practice. But, if it does matter, remember, you do not cart around your diploma, but you do keep your MD/DO by your name all the time. This is not to say that you would be better trained at one program over another, just talking about perceptions and how they are interpreted. IMHO, of course.

And why is that?

sekem said:

Most DO schools are better than just about all non-U.S. M.D. schools. In addition, the top DO schools are better than a large portion of U.S. M.D. schools.

Since the end result is exactly the same (board certified & licensed physician), the degree is irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
yourmom25 said:

Everyone knows that the stigma of incompetence falls on Caribbean M.D.'s.

Get the degree from where you'd like to practice.

ooooooo....

Law2Doc said:
I still wouldn't suggest using it in a PS though...
I apparently left my dictionary in my old place when we moved a couple months ago. I can't believe "stupider" is actually a word. Anybody with a Webster's handy confirm this??

I kind of assumed that was common knowledge. :confused: If stupidest is a word, why wouldn't stupider be one?

AngryBaby said:
I apparently left my dictionary in my old place when we moved a couple months ago. I can't believe "stupider" is actually a word. Anybody with a Webster's handy confirm this??
If google (v.) is a word. Stupider is a word.

AngryBaby said:

I couldn't find it in Websters, but it's in the Oxford Dictionary.

sekem said:

IMO, if residency is your issue I say go D.O.

If you just want to be a primary care physician, don't agree with the osteopathic philosophy, and really want that M.D. behind your name then go carib. if and only if you get into SGU.

Hardbody said:
IMO, if residency is your issue I say go D.O.

If you just want to be a primary care physician, don't agree with the osteopathic philosophy, and really want that M.D. behind your name then go carib. if and only if you get into SGU.

Just to finish a topic, I can't believe "stupider" is in the Oxford dicitonary...unbelievable.

Are Caribbean Medical schools graduates being considered as Foriegn Medical Graduates?

lol my bad. i totally didn't realize my poor choice of words.

also i don't even know whether i'm going to an MD or DO program. i was just telling the OP that he/she has a better chance at residency from a US DO program than a foreign MD program.

I think what matters for residency is how you do on the USMLE. Kick some buns on the USMLE. That's all.

paradisedoc said:

Just put Dr. in front of your name instead of D.O. There your problem is solved. That's what the plastic surgeon who I shadow does and he says it works fine. By the way have any of you guys who have had doubts about being a D.O. ever shadowed one? I think this will answer all the questions you will have about the legitimacy of a D.O.

If I'm a patient, I probly don't know jack about med schools or degrees. I see the word DO after a name, i get uncomfortable. I'd rather go to the MD....it sounds more familiar. Besides, if I see the word St. George after a person's name (assuming, that I actually find out where a doctor got his degree), I probably wouldn't know that the school is int'l anyway.

geno2568 said:
If I'm a patient, I probly don't know jack about med schools or degrees. I see the word DO after a name, i get uncomfortable. I'd rather go to the MD....it sounds more familiar. Besides, if I see the word St. George after a person's name (assuming, that I actually find out where a doctor got his degree), I probably wouldn't know that the school is int'l anyway.

You will never see the school listed after the person's name in practice. Perhaps if he hung up his diploma in his office. But perhaps one wouldn't hang up the diploma, and just let everyone assume he went to Harvard. Just do a 3 month fellowship and buy a T shirt and coffee mug from that school (a la Dr. Rey of Dr 90210) and everyone will assume you went there for real. (He really went to Tufts for med)

OSUdoc08 said:
Most DO schools are better than just about all non-U.S. M.D. schools. In addition, the top DO schools are better than a large portion os U.S. M.D. schools.

Since the end result is exactly the same (board certified & licensed physician), the degree is irrelevant.

Could you elaborate on this a little more? I'm just curious about it. I'm probably gonna end up at one of my unranked state school (which I turned down 2 US news research ranked private schools to go to), so this might be an MD program you were talking about?

(PS Im happy with my decision, but curious about your POV)

breakitdown753 said:
Just put Dr. in front of your name instead of D.O. There your problem is solved. That's what the plastic surgeon who I shadow does and he says it works fine. By the way have any of you guys who have had doubts about being a D.O. ever shadowed one? I think this will answer all the questions you will have about the legitimacy of a D.O.

I sure have, and after over 60 hours of shadowing and thousands of patients, NOT ONE PATIENT EVER ASKED THE FAMOUS, "WHAT IS A D.O.?" QUESTION!!!!!!!! The doctor was an Ophthalmologist if anyone is curious, and he will be writing me lor for medical school (osteo schools require/recommend one). He also didn't put "dr." on his white coat, I think that is highly unethical and misleading to do so. He wore D.O. proudly on the front! BTW, this doctor has a phenomenal reputation.

Hardbody said:
I sure have, and after over 60 hours of shadowing and thousands of patients, NOT ONE PATIENT EVER ASKED THE FAMOUS, "WHAT IS A D.O.?" QUESTION!!!!!!!! The doctor was an Ophthalmologist if anyone is curious, and he will be writing me lor for medical school (osteo schools require/recommend one). He also didn't put "dr." on his white coat, I think that is highly unethical and misleading to do so. He wore D.O. proudly on the front! BTW, this doctor has a phenomenal reputation.

patients probably assumed the O in DO had something to do with ophthalmology...

sekem said:
Are Caribbean Medical schools graduates being considered as Foriegn Medical Graduates?

There are some who differentiate between US grads of the Caribbean schools as US International Medical Graduates (USIMG) or IMG, and people from other countries who either attended the Carribean or a medical school of their homoe country as Foreign Medical Graduates (FMG) or IMG.

Personally, I wouldn't care about the initials after someone's name, and like most people in this thread, we will never know where you went to school unless you advertise it with a wall diploma.

I just want a doc who treats me with respect and is good at what he or she does.

Law2Doc said:
patients probably assumed the O in DO had something to do with ophthalmology...

Maybe, but I doubt this question gets asked often to any other D.O., I shadowed a family physician D.O. and this didn't happen, but this experience doesn't count (long story).

Hardbody said:
Maybe, but I doubt this question gets asked often to any other D.O., I shadowed a family physician D.O. and this didn't happen, but this experience doesn't count (long story).

I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon who's a DO in a large practice w/no other DO's, just MD's. No one asked him, but they have a separate pamphlet in their waiting room called "What is a DO?" from AACOM or something - next to the pamphlet for the practice. Couldn't tell you if anyone reads it or not. One thing you know is there's probably no pamphlet for "What is an FMG?".
Even though they are eqivalent, and the letters shouldn't and don't matter, I think after a while it might be tiring to always be asked what DO means.

Orthodoc40 said:
I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon who's a DO in a large practice w/no other DO's, just MD's. No one asked him, but they have a separate pamphlet in their waiting room called "What is a DO?" from AACOM or something - next to the pamphlet for the practice. Couldn't tell you if anyone reads it or not. One thing you know is there's probably no pamphlet for "What is an FMG?".
Even though they are eqivalent, and the letters shouldn't and don't matter, I think after a while it might be tiring to always be asked what DO means.

I must admit when I first heard of D.O.'s I was a bit skeptical that patients don't ask about it. I thought certainly every patient must ask, but I now know that I am wrong. It truly is a pre-med paranoia phenomena. I shadowed two M.D.'s in a split practice (2 M.D.'s and 2 D.O.'s) and they all seemed to be equally as busy (the reason I shadowed the M.D. is because he scoped my father's knee).

yourmom25 said:
lol my bad. i totally didn't realize my poor choice of words.

also i don't even know whether i'm going to an MD or DO program. i was just telling the OP that he/she has a better chance at residency from a US DO program than a foreign MD program.
I just went for the cheap laugh at your expense...sorry.

NotAnMD said:
Could you elaborate on this a little more? I'm just curious about it. I'm probably gonna end up at one of my unranked state school (which I turned down 2 US news research ranked private schools to go to), so this might be an MD program you were talking about?

(PS Im happy with my decision, but curious about your POV)

yeah I didnt understand that comment either...the top DO schools are "better" than a large proportion of MD schools..what does that even mean??? its hard enough trying to convince people that MD is not to be considered "better" than DO w/o having DO's spouting the same BS...different schools, DO or MD, are "better" for an individual applicant

Vizsla said:
yeah I didnt understand that comment either...the top DO schools are "better" than a large proportion of MD schools..what does that even mean??? its hard enough trying to convince people that MD is not to be considered "better" than DO w/o having DO's spouting the same BS...different schools, DO or MD, are "better" for an individual applicant

The bottom line is patients don't really give a damn where you went to medical school as long as you are qualified and damn good at what you do. I agree that making a statement that MD is better than DO or vice versa can only start a heated debate that is totally unproductive.

Hardbody said:
The bottom line is patients don't really give a damn where you went to medical school as long as you are qualified and damn good at what you do. I agree that making a statement that MD is better than DO or vice versa can only start a heated debate that is totally unproductive.
I second that, but he does that from time to time. I have heard of patients having probs with the idea of a DO being their doctor but out of ignorance rather than personal history. That being said I'm in TX and have the DO school here ranked 3rd for me (not including Baylor cause I've got no shot there).

Orthodoc40 said:

I can't believe you have Tom Brady in your profile. That fool is going DOWN! Go Colts! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.