DO Gen Surg Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

george_joseph

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what people think about the various DO gen. surgery programs; their strenghts, weaknesses etc. How competitive are they, do you have to rotate there as a student for a chance at residency? What have people heard about St. James in Olympia Fields? Thanks, any input is appreciated greatly.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a MS IV at Doctor's in Columbus and I think the program here is very strong. The residents split most of their time between Doctor's and Grant (a level 1 trauma center in downtown Columbus) but also rotate at Children's and OSU. You get to work with a large number of attendings and the residents all seem very well trained. While they all work hard, the residents also seem pretty happy too.

As a DO I will admit that the osteopathic residencies are not up to par with most MD programs, in terms of volume of surgery, number of faculty, opportunity for research, fellowship opportunities and convenience of peripheral rotations. Just look at their website (if they have one) and that tells you alot about the program.

The best way to learn about the program is to call the program and ask to speak with their residents, the more the better but definitely, both a chief resident and a lower level resident. (Forget the PD).

Ask questions and try to gauge their response. No program is perfect. If they have only good things to say and try to sell the program, you should worry. If they are honest, it shows in their response and tone of voice.

Regardless, you can become a well trained, capable surgeon if you go to most of these residencies. Also, ultimately you really learn about a program only if you attend the program by rotating or through residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know about the G-surgery residencies at PCOM? thanks

george_joseph said:
I am curious as to what people think about the various DO gen. surgery programs; their strenghts, weaknesses etc. How competitive are they, do you have to rotate there as a student for a chance at residency? What have people heard about St. James in Olympia Fields? Thanks, any input is appreciated greatly.

George, I PM'd you. It is not necessary to rotate in order to get a spot, but at the same time, it doesn't hurt unless you are a complete bonejob and they see that they won't be able to work with you.