DO general surgery residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WOndering if anyone has any info on DO surgery residencies as in: what are the best ones out there? How competitive are they? Recommended or not? and anything else you can add about programs. I would especially like to hear from anyone who is in or has been in one of these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a student at DesPeres in St. Louis and the surgery program there was very strong. The surgeons leaving there were great for generay surgery.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else out there have anything to say about any DO surgery program?

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC, not too many surgery residents here who went the DO route for med school. But I could be wrong, maybe they're just being more quiet. :)

Oh I know this, there arent many DO surg residents on the forums, but this is such a great resource, and I have gotten alot of good info off this site, so I thought I'd try.

WOndering if anyone has any info on DO surgery residencies as in: what are the best ones out there?

Just out of curiosity, what field are you applying for?

I saw that you've recently posted the following...

When applying to transitional year programs should you have a seperate personal statement and recommendations? I am also applying to anesthesia and I have recs and a statement for that.

How easy is it to scramble for a medicine residency position?

Say you go to a bottom tier IM program, excel do research, good letters of rec, is it still harder to get a cardio spot than if you come from the top tier programs?

So which is it? General Surgery? Internal Medicine? Anesthesia? :confused:

All three?

gen surg, the other posts were for friends and stuff I was just curious about.

What is your take on PCOM's general surgery?

I worked with a few of the PCOM residents when I was on my first surgery rotation. I had the luxury of working on a team that had both PCOM and Jefferson surgical residents on it, so I had a chance to compare the two. Overall the PCOM residents seemed to stack up well with the Jeff residents. Their surgical and decision making skills were impressive. However, I felt the Jefferson residents were happier and less cynical than the PCOM residents. I also felt like the PCOM residents were annoyed with having students under them. That is about the extent of experience I have with the PCOM residency program. I know it's not much, but I figured someone should try and help you out.

I worked with a few of the PCOM residents when I was on my first surgery rotation. I had the luxury of working on a team that had both PCOM and Jefferson surgical residents on it, so I had a chance to compare the two. Overall the PCOM residents seemed to stack up well with the Jeff residents. Their surgical and decision making skills were impressive. However, I felt the Jefferson residents were happier and less cynical than the PCOM residents. I also felt like the PCOM residents were annoyed with having students under them. That is about the extent of experience I have with the PCOM residency program. I know it's not much, but I figured someone should try and help you out.

Amazing, I thought only I had had that impression. They do seem annoyed with having students under them. So I appreciated your comment.

If anyone else has more information on it, please share, I would hate for the previous poster and I, to be anomalies regarding our opinion on this program.

My experience with PCOM gen surg was a good one. I didn't experience any of the angst that the other two posters did. The academics is excellent and the residents rotate through hospitals and get a solid case load. Overall, I'd say it is an excellent program which will adequately prepare you for gen surg.

Does anyone have any experience with the DO surg residencies in New York? Such as Peninsula, St.John's, St.Barnabas? Any information would be helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with the DO surg residencies in New York? Such as Peninsula, St.John's, St.Barnabas? Any information would be helpful.

I would like to hear about these as well...anyone have experience with Lutheran (LMC)?

St. Barnabas supposedly is a Level 1. And it's in New York, which is attractive to some people I guess.

I didn't apply to any of them, but I've never heard a good thing about any of the other New York programs.

PCOM has a good reputation, and it enjoys a hardcore following by many students/residents (I suspect this is significantly influenced by it's Plastics fellowship). They rotate through a bunch of different hospitals. Solid educational backbone, and I'm sure they see plenty of crap being in Philly.

One program that doesn't get mentioned often in the DO program in New Jersey (UNJMD?). I interviewed out there. Very nice residents, the PD seemed cool. It was better than I anticipated.

You're not going to like my answer, probably, but it's what I believe.

I'm a DO surgery resident, and compared a couple of programs on my path to getting where I am. Des Peres (St.Louis) and Olympia Fields (Chicago) and where I am now, Southpointe Hospital, Cleveland.

I believe that after the 5 years of training, at the end, you will have what you need to get going in general surgery, plus have enough opportunity to get fellowship if you want it, pretty much no matter where you go. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, i.e, at Olympia Fields at the time I was looking at it, their residents did NO endoscopy, but they are a trauma center. My program gives you plenty of endoscopy experience by the end (which, from what I gather, is important according to job ads) but has no trauma (we go out for our trauma rotations). My choice had a lot to do with location and the fact that my roots/life are in the Cleveland area.

I was always leary of "newer" programs, and stayed away from those with really bad reputations (i.e, Peninsula in NY--although I've heard they're getting better). Our program has had its rough spots, but we have a program director who cares about our education and our experience. I know there could be many improvements in the way things are done, but again, that's anywhere. I'll still be well-trained at the end. We get to rotate at the Cleveland Clinic, too.

Any truth to the rumor that the surgery residency may be moved to a different hospital in the near future? Also, can anyone comment on the changes and imporvements being made to the program. I've heard it is getting better? What is better?