DO going for MD Derm--Step 2 Necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirCuneus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I got a 241/99 on my step 1 exam and want to go into derm into an allopathic residency? Do you think I should take step 2 as well? I've heard mixed reviews from various students.

Is my score good enough to say that step 2 should be a good score too, or do I apply with that step 2 score?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

given the fact that the avg. step 1 for derm is like 242, and ure a d.o. with a 241, i would think that you would need a stellar step 2 to really make those biased PD's believe that you should be chosen over every other applicant with 240+. i would aim for 250+ on step 2 if you really want a shot at allo derm. not trying to be a downer, but it's just the unfort. reality of the matter.

good luck to u

I thought about derm in the first part of 3rd year. If you were an MD student at a good school with a 241, you would be average at best. Its not impossible because I know of someone who did it, but he also put in 2 years of research and made some good connections at the program. If you go Derm, your time would be better spent trying to make connections with DO Derm programs because they arnt easy to get either.

I agree with the previous posters ...take it and plan on blowing it out of the water. I'm assuming you have (or are seriously working on) research, connections, strategic audition rotations, etc. Good luck