DO gpa/mcat averages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyo,
Im currently awaiting my mcat score and was looking around for some mcat/gpa averages for DO schools, but I couldn't find any. I was curious if there are any sites that give any information of that sort. If anybody happens to know the averages I am looking at PCOM in particular, and any DO schools in the NJ/PA/NY tristate area(im from NJ). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Heyo,
Im currently awaiting my mcat score and was looking around for some mcat/gpa averages for DO schools, but I couldn't find any. I was curious if there are any sites that give any information of that sort. If anybody happens to know the averages I am looking at PCOM in particular, and any DO schools in the NJ/PA/NY tristate area(im from NJ). Thanks.

Probably not up to date, but a good start:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5184261&postcount=192

My prediction is that you're gonna get flamed for this question because you didn't use the "search" function. This is probably one of the most asked questions on this forum. If you try the search you're bound to get several hundred hits. Yet, the bottom line is that any material is either anecdotal, which makes it hard to generalize, or several years old, which just makes it totally out of date. Scores have gone up slightly over the last few years even though the number of positions has opened. Applications have gone from 6000 just over 5 years ago to 12,000 last year. More students are applying making it more competitive. Your MCAT score, however, is one very small part of your package. If it is too low it can exclude you from consideration, but it will not get you a position-- your entire app needs to be good these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did use search and nothing came up... i searched "gpa mcat averages" 0 hits.... i apologize.. but thanks for the help.

So many factors go into it, its tough to tell what is the magic number mcat, that pcom will accept you. I would just apply broadly. and not put all your eggs in pcom's basket. Alot of things come in play like how early did you apply, state residence, etc. The average for all DO students according to accomas was like 3.5 26, for individual schools its hard finding the stats. I think us news premium use to do it, but not sure if they still do it. There a few schools in the area you mentioned. It's tough giving you advice, without know your whole app or stats.

below...

Last edited:
because more and more are now learning of DO schools, more and more students are steadily applying to various programs.

Thus, the avg scores/gpa have dramatically increased. To get a shot at one of the top program, better have a gpa of 3.5 and avg. of 9's or above... it is really exciting to know that next couple of years, DO schools will be just as competitive as MD schools.:scared:

Regarding tri-state schools: All of them are exceptional programs, so it is very competitive to get into their programs. remember that UMDNJ probably stick to its small class size of around 110 or less. Not to mention they had nearly 3k more applicants than year before.

thus, expect even more applicants at each of the three programs with avg. numbers being even higher than before.

I think the "accepted" averages might go up, but I don't think the matriculating averages will change THAT much. Its not like we have tons more premeds now than 5 years ago. In fact, we may have less due to costs. I've heard of a lot of kids not going to college yet because of how expensive it is. Many people still use DO schools as a backup. They apply to a couple get in, and then may matriculate into an MD program still. It is kind of a double edged sword. At least they have heard of DO and apply there, thereby giving it a chance, but they also may choose MD for the perception. This is all speculation, and I am not saying otherwise but it is hard to say that the averages are going up as much as people think. Online applications, grade inflation, changing amount of premeds, etc. all make it a very difficult thing to anticipate. You can't extrapolate from 2 or 3 years of data with this. You can only view the general trend and then when you are done with med school, look at a nice little line chart seeing how competitive it was relative to other periods of time.

I have a question and a comment:

My question is: when people throw around the phrase "average GPA" are they generally referring to overall or science? I know this is speculative, but it appears that Osteopathic schools more heavily consider science GPA. I ask because my overall is only around 3.21 while my science (57 credits) is 3.73. Based on my reading it seems that a lot of DO schools look to that science GPA before anything else to predict success.

My comment is about the averages getting higher and higher. Clearly that is true, but I think with the relatively small amount of DO schools it's hard to classify schools into tiers (hardER than allopathic anyway). My impression is that most people consider PCOM to be a very strong program. At their open house, the Dean of Admiss. said the MCAT averages were "about 8 in each section"....for PCOM-GA they "are 7 to 8 in each section". My point in posting was to state my opinion that DO schools place relatively less emphasis on the MCAT than allopathic schools. The GPA gap seems to be closing quickly, but the MCAT gap apparently not as much....which is great in my opinion. I don't think one exam should carry so much weight (read: i'm taking the MCAT this friday so i will believe that until i get an acceptance).

I took the MCAT in May and received a disappointing 25Q (8PS 8VB 9BS). I was getting 10-11 on my practice testing in the verbal section. I had read that 25 was the average for accepted DO students, but my advisor told me I should definitely retake. Mean GPA 3.2 Science GPA 3.3, clinical experience for past two years, great letters of recommendation. Am I not competitive with this MCAT score for DO school this cycle?? Thanks for your help:love:.

I have a question and a comment:

My question is: when people throw around the phrase "average GPA" are they generally referring to overall or science? I know this is speculative, but it appears that Osteopathic schools more heavily consider science GPA. I ask because my overall is only around 3.21 while my science (57 credits) is 3.73. Based on my reading it seems that a lot of DO schools look to that science GPA before anything else to predict success.

My comment is about the averages getting higher and higher. Clearly that is true, but I think with the relatively small amount of DO schools it's hard to classify schools into tiers (hardER than allopathic anyway). My impression is that most people consider PCOM to be a very strong program. At their open house, the Dean of Admiss. said the MCAT averages were "about 8 in each section"....for PCOM-GA they "are 7 to 8 in each section". My point in posting was to state my opinion that DO schools place relatively less emphasis on the MCAT than allopathic schools. The GPA gap seems to be closing quickly, but the MCAT gap apparently not as much....which is great in my opinion. I don't think one exam should carry so much weight (read: i'm taking the MCAT this friday so i will believe that until i get an acceptance).

They look at science and non science separately, they both are important. I have heard a low science gpa and low mcat is tough to overcome. But you have a nice science gpa, do well on the mcat and you will have no problem

Maybe if I post in this thread I will actually get an answer. I have posted in two other places and have waited patiently for a couple of days to get an answer, but have you to receive one and it is driving me crazy. :eek:

Does anyone know which schools accept the highest score from each section of the MCAT if you have taken then MCAT multiple times? For example, if you got an 8 on PS one time and a 7 on PS the next time, which school would mix and match your individual scores to come up with the highest total? I did a search but only came up with the allo schools that did that.

Please help!

Maybe if I post in this thread I will actually get an answer. I have posted in two other places and have waited patiently for a couple of days to get an answer, but have you to receive one and it is driving me crazy. :eek:

Does anyone know which schools accept the highest score from each section of the MCAT if you have taken then MCAT multiple times? For example, if you got an 8 on PS one time and a 7 on PS the next time, which school would mix and match your individual scores to come up with the highest total? I did a search but only came up with the allo schools that did that.

Please help!

I don't know of any osteopathic school that does that. I haven't researched it too thoroughly though. Maybe just call the schools you want to apply to and ask?

I don't know of any osteopathic school that does that. I haven't researched it too thoroughly though. Maybe just call the schools you want to apply to and ask?

i know some md schools do that, not sure about osteopathic school. you should call them

Just out of curiosity, how competitive is an applicant with a 3.4 GPA overall, a 3.5 Science GPA, and a 30 MCAT?

Just out of curiosity, how competitive is an applicant with a 3.4 GPA overall, a 3.5 Science GPA, and a 30 MCAT?

very, but they are other factors that go in to it.

I took the MCAT in May and received a disappointing 25Q (8PS 8VB 9BS). I was getting 10-11 on my practice testing in the verbal section. I had read that 25 was the average for accepted DO students, but my advisor told me I should definitely retake. Mean GPA 3.2 Science GPA 3.3, clinical experience for past two years, great letters of recommendation. Am I not competitive with this MCAT score for DO school this cycle?? Thanks for your help:love:.

your advisor probably wants you to retake so that you can be as competetive as possible. with a 3.2 overall/3.3 science and a 25 MCAT, it is very possible (even likely) that you will get in somewhere if you apply early (like soon soon) and broadly. however, it would not be surprising if you didnt get in somewhere. Your advisor just wants you to have the best chance possible. Its up to you whether you want to risk it and hope to get accepted somewhere, or retake it and get a higher score knowing that you will very likely get in somewhere.