Do Hopeful...am I in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChmiel2016

WannaBeMD33
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm registered to take the MCAT in September, shortly before my 29th birthday *gulp*. I'm a late bloomer with a lot on my plate...and I assure you it's affected my grades. Here are the stats, see if you can help me out :).

• 3.2 cGPA/3.5 sGPA

• Last 2 practice MCATS 25/27, I'm hoping to bring it up to a 30 *fingers crossed*

• 5 years as a respite caregiver (assisting in wound care, med's, therapies, etc.)

• Trained ABA therapist (doctors always stifle a chuckle here ;))

• Numerous fundraising gigs and a handful of 5 and 10K runs for charity, plus the Chicago Half Marathon in Sept (which I hope illustrates my determined, masochistic side to adcoms) but no real volunteer experience as I've worked 40-50 hrs/wk since I started school

• Letters of rec from 1 DO whom I've known through work for 5 years
  • 1 MD who's kind of a "big deal" at U of M
  • And an advanced physiology professor who's class I completely absorbed myself in
I'm planning on applying at all of the Michigan schools (that's where I'm at now), and a few osteopathic schools around the country...any suggestions?

Also, I recently read that my being married actually looks good to adcoms at DO schools....but the source was some "fluffy" book at the public library, has anyone ever heard that?

And before anyone kind enough to answer wastes time trying to let me down easily, I take criticism exceedingly well so don't worry about sparing my feelings.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just need to know if applying this year is a waste...Please? My "pre-med adviser" is a condescending jerk who has managed to ask if I want children every time I met with him. "A lot of women at your age..."

I think with your current stats you have a decent shot at most DO schools and are a long shot for most MD schools (even with a 30 MCAT).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just need to know if applying this year is a waste...Please? My "pre-med adviser" is a condescending jerk who has managed to ask if I want children every time I met with him. "A lot of women at your age..."

Tough to say. With a 27 or higher you'll get some looks, you just have to nail that interview.

I'm your age (about to turn 30) I was asked about being married in my interview with the school I'm at. I didn't get the feeling that they were impressed, but rather that they wanted to tease out a picture of how supportive my wife is. If your spouse isn't 100% behind you, med-school is a bad idea.

Your lack of volunteering might hurt a little, but your letters and running are cool. Your portfolio of EC's is mostly to get the adcom's attention, which Your's did for me, hopefully it will for them too. Normally I get really bored reading about people's apps on this site, everyones is typically pretty cookiecutter.

Best of luck.

Well, I'm registered to take the MCAT in September, shortly before my 29th birthday *gulp*. I'm a late bloomer with a lot on my plate...and I assure you it's affected my grades. Here are the stats, see if you can help me out :).

• 3.2 cGPA/3.5 sGPA
  • Last 2 practice MCATS 25/27, I'm hoping to bring it up to a 30 *fingers crossed*
  • 5 years as a respite caregiver (assisting in wound care, med's, therapies, etc.)
  • Trained ABA therapist (doctors always stifle a chuckle here ;))
  • Numerous fundraising gigs and a handful of 5 and 10K runs for charity, plus the Chicago Half Marathon in Sept (which I hope illustrates my determined, masochistic side to adcoms) but no real volunteer experience as I've worked 40-50 hrs/wk since I started school
  • Letters of rec from 1 DO whom I've known through work for 5 years
  • 1 MD who's kind of a "big deal" at U of M
  • And an advanced physiology professor who's class I completely absorbed myself in
I'm planning on applying at all of the Michigan schools (that's where I'm at now), and a few osteopathic schools around the country...any suggestions?

Also, I recently read that my being married actually looks good to adcoms at DO schools....but the source was some "fluffy" book at the public library, has anyone ever heard that?

And before anyone kind enough to answer wastes time trying to let me down easily, I take criticism exceedingly well so don't worry about sparing my feelings.

Thanks!!!
I've never heard that "being married actually looks good to adcoms at DO schools."

When is the lasst time you took some classes. Generally adcomms would like to see more acolades on your academic abilities than one letter.

If you don't have any formal office-based shadowing, you might get that started. Perhaps the DO you know will oblige or give you a contact. Your clinical experience will be viewed as excellent. Heavy work hours will excuse some of the usual ECs. At least you do have some altruistic activities.

An MCAT of 29-30 should put you in good shape for a DO acceptance somewhere. Becoming Complete at schools in October is less of a negative factor for DO than for MD, but for more selective schools like CCOM, I've heard it will decrease your chances.

I think the lack of volunteer work will hurt you, but you're definitely within a competitive range for DO school.

Thanks so much for your advice and opinion, it helps to have some feedback outside of library books. I'm not feeling 100% confident in reading your responses. I'm currently taking advanced medical physio and acing it, and I have an english professor that adores me and an anatomy professor that I got to know pretty well....should I get letters from them as well? Or just the anatomy professor?

Also, I was planning on taking physics 2 after applying, is that a fatal mistake? I only got a 3.0 in physics.I'm honestly wondering if I should stretch out my undergrad a little longer and apply next June. If I pull my grades up a bit with my last 12 science credits will it help?

Opinions?

1) I'm currently taking advanced medical physio and acing it, and I have an english professor that adores me and an anatomy professor that I got to know pretty well....should I get letters from them as well? Or just the anatomy professor?

2) Also, I was planning on taking physics 2 after applying, is that a fatal mistake? I only got a 3.0 in physics.I'm honestly wondering if I should stretch out my undergrad a little longer and apply next June.

3) If I pull my grades up a bit with my last 12 science credits will it help?

Opinions?
1) While there is some variation from school to school, letters from two faculty who taught you science and one who taught you a nonscience class are the basics. So get all three.

2) I've seen this done successfully on two occasions, but that leaves a 95% chance you will not master enough Physics II on your own to do well on the MCAT.

3) A steep upward grade trend will be very helpful, even if it doesn't budge your GPA by much. Have you taken advantage of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy by retaking any particularly low grades from the past?

I'm not really sure that it's necessary to retake any of my classes, but I'm definitely willing to if it's helpful. My lowest grade was a 2.8 in O.Chem 1...should I retake it? I miscalculated my grades b/c I didn't understand the transfer info Wayne State sent me re:community college courses. My GPA is 3.7, and after this summer semester grades are in should be close to 3.8. Does this help significantly?

I'm taking O.Chem 2 this semester, and have invested a lot of time this summer prepping for it because of my low grade in the first one. Would I be better of retaking the first, or if I nail the second will it be okay?

I've decided to hold off applying until June, took a volunteer position with a hospice on weekends, and am finishing all pre-med requirements prior to application. My latest MCAT practice (#11) was an 8P/9B/12V...not exactly what I'd hoped in the sciences, but I've got a committed study plan for the next month with a strong focus on physics, o. chem, and biology.

Last edited:
1) I'm not really sure that it's necessary to retake any of my classes, but I'm definitely willing to if it's helpful. My lowest grade was a 2.8 in O.Chem 1...should I retake it? I miscalculated my grades b/c I didn't understand the transfer info Wayne State sent me re:community college courses. My GPA is 3.7, and after this summer semester grades are in should be close to 3.8. Does this help significantly?

2) I'm taking O.Chem 2 this semester, and have invested a lot of time this summer prepping for it because of my low grade in the first one. Would I be better of retaking the first, or if I nail the second will it be okay?

I've decided to hold off applying until June, took a volunteer position with a hospice on weekends, and am finishing all pre-med requirements prior to application. My latest MCAT practice (#11) was an 8P/9B/12V...not exactly what I'd hoped in the sciences, but I've got a committed study plan for the next month with a strong focus on physics, o. chem, and biology.
1) Your GPA doesn't depend on Wayne's policy on credit transfer. The application service for the med schools will require the original transcript from every institution attended and will refigure your GPAs based on their own rules. If you really have a 3.7 instead of a 3.2, thatwill make a huge difference. Maybe try this: AMCAS GPA calculator: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

or:
DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

2) You need not retake a B- unless you didn't master the material well enough to excel in OChem II.

Ok I'm going to join the what are my chances thread...

I am a practicing chiropractor in Michigan, graduated from Palmer College in Iowa 3 years ago. My undergrad GPA is around 3.00, I say around because I haven't looked at it for over 6 years. It trends dramatically upwards or the last two years of undergrad. My chiropractic school GPA was exactly 3.0. I've yet to take the MCAT, I will in April. I participated in a 3 week clinic abroad trip to India, I have volunteered or organized dozens of programs for my community, assisted in lower income/minority health awareness screenings alongside MD's and DO's. This would add up to thousands of community and volunteer hours. I do feel that I would need to re-take some of the basic classes from my early undergrad days to bump up that undergrad GPA. However given the years of clinical experience, volunteering and community health organization, mission work and advanced degree... what MCAT range would be comfortable for admission to MSUCOM?