Do Hours of Animal Experience from HS Count for Vet School?

Cephal0pod

c/o 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a junior in HS and in pursuit of a career as a veterinarian. I've been doing a lot of research and have learned that vet schools require a certain number of animal experience hours (as well as veterinary experience hours). Do hours accumulated in high school count towards the required amounts for vet school or is it only hours acquired as an undergrad college student?

Thank you very much for your time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not a pre-vet but I would think that the hours you have accumulated during your college/undergraduate years are more favored by vet schools instead of the hours you have achieved during your high school years. If you can continue to volunteer at the same place (from high school) during your undergraduate years, you will be fine :)

The hours accumulated in high school will definitely count.

The application will require you to put in when the time was put in, so old experience with no recent experience may raise some questions.

Most of my animal experience was gained in high school, although I didn't have nearly as impressive of a record as some applicants.

Check out the pre-vet threads too; there's lots of info flying around over there.

Okay, thanks. I will be sure to keep that in mind. :) Oh yes, I've loved reading through the pre-vet threads. As I read I get so excited about vet school that I feel as if I should be getting started on my own personal statement or filling out applications or something, as ridiculous as that sounds :oops: I always have to remind myself that I'm only in high school still. :p Thanks again for your answer, Nechochwen. And you as well, Richardh. :)