Do I carry a purse on my interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikkiwit

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read that it is a no-no to carry a purse on interview day and that all I should carry is a leather folder/notepad. I do want to carry a tube of lipstick and some cash, but my coat doesn't have pockets. What do you suggest? I do have a brand new Coach purse I could carry, but is it appropriate to do so? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Nikki,

I see no reason why it wouldn't be okay to carry a purse. Something that goes with the outfit and matches the shoes and all that
smile.gif

I had a small brush and my car keys and I could not fit them neatly into a portfolio binder, so I carried a small clutch. You will look fine. Good luck to you!!

Billie, MS-III

Nikki,

I am one of the students who gives tours and comes in during interviews to calm everyone down with small talk (and answer questions) at my school. I can state that carrying a purse has never been an issue that I have heard of. If you are truly concerned, you can leave it with the receptionist or another interviewee during the time of your interview.

I don't think this is something that you should worry about any more. It sounds like someone giving you information to make you more nervous (perhaps in competition with you for the spot?). Good Luck in your interviews. I'm sure you will do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
My God, aren't there enough real issues to be concerned with at an interview than such trivia? Why would anyone in their right mind be offended by a woman carrying a purse, or for that matter, a man carrying a purse? What deep pit of paranoia do these rumors emanate from?

Okay, so obviously Gower is a man. Get a grip. People, especially women, worry about the way they look and an interview day is a day you want to be completely confident. I think you are being pretty petty to rag on someone for politely asking a simple question. Calm down!

i saw one poor interviewee being strangled with her own purse by the admissions director!!!

Ofcourse this did not happen, go ahead with the purse. I too have seen many a purse on interview day.

Thinking back to my interview at COMP, I accidentally brought my backpack in.. I thought it would be handy to have around in case I needed to pull out materials to look over or stash new info I received during the info sessions. I can picture myself in a suit with a backpack walking around when just about everyone else had portfolios. Oh well.. it was my first interview.. perhaps my last, but I think I'll invest in a portfolio/binder somewhere down the line for the sake of looking more professional. Guess I forgot about those little details having not gone to a school interview since college five years ago. :p At any rate, as long as the purse does not have some outrageous and offensive material on it you should be in good shape.
smile.gif