Do I even have a shot at MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SIUnit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
undergrad 3.17c/3.04sci.

32R on the MCAT (10 on bio, 11s on the other sections)

Decent ECs, got my share of volunteer/shadowing/hospital/lab and a published paper (2nd author though).

I did a year of georgetown's SMP and result was pretty bad, sitting at 3.02 due to pretty much all B's (just got my final grades, was waiting on my final paper grade to be in).

At this point, do I even have a shot at even DO schools? Should I just cut my losses and switch careers?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really don't know, but this is why I don't advocate SMP programs. I wish you all the best.

You could get into a few DO schools. I am not too sure about MDs at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance to get into some D.O if you're lucky. Any idea if you can retake some classes?

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Take a look at this chart...Your chances are not good, but it is not impossible.

No shot MD unless you did another SMP, perhaps toledo, cinic, drexel? you can go DO for sure.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Take a look at this chart...Your chances are not good, but it is not impossible.

Thanks. Somehow I really don't buy that based on numbers, I got a 1 in 3 chance. Seems a bit too good to be true especially considering I got 0 interviews last cycle.

Doesn't Georgetown have an advisor to talk to about this? I don't think your chances are very good at this point, but he/she would know better

I do, and while I don't want to really badmouth anybody, I asked them this and tldr what they essentially said boils down to "not sure, but at least do your best so you can graduate from the program." They did mention to look into DOs which is what I'm gonna be focusing, but I don't think they really kept any detailed data on this kind of thing.

No shot MD unless you did another SMP, perhaps toledo, cinic, drexel? you can go DO for sure.

Probably wont do another SMP. The financial drain is way too much, and my MCAT is only good for 1 more cycle. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't select drexel's program to begin with, since at least they guarantees an interview if you break all B's. It's no acceptance, but I ended the past cycle with no interviews so at least that would've been a slight improvement.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll probably try for one more cycle focusing on DO schools. Based on the numbers, I might try for 3 or 4 of the more "bottom tier" MD schools.

Last edited:
no way for MD. The SMP GPA basically ended your chances at MD. You did ok in the SMP, but you are expected to get at the very least a 3.5 GPA. I think you still have a shot at DO, but it may be tough since you did not do that well in the SMP. You need to just apply and see.

The only route now, whether its for MD or DO, is to buckle down another 2-3 years and pack it with undergrad courses to bring your undergrad GPA up to a respectable 3.5.

Then, nail the MCAT with a 35-37.

Thats the only way I see how you can redeem from recent SMP, because it basically says you are not cut out for medical school.

I see, it seems I really shot myself in the foot going for the SMP as I heard people have gotten into DO with 3.2s before.

I think I will apply to a few DO school and see how it goes, but in the mean time, I should probably look into a career change, especially if the alternatives involves 2 or 3 more years of school.

I see, it seems I really shot myself in the foot going for the SMP as I heard people have gotten into DO with 3.2s before.

I think I will apply to a few DO school and see how it goes, but in the mean time, I should probably look into a career change, especially if the alternatives involves 2 or 3 more years of school.

2-3 years are not really that significant considering if you get into med school at 25 - you will be practicing for 35+ years.

If being a physician is your passion - then I say continue to pursue that path. If there is a will, there is a way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say with a year of 3.8+ grades and continuing ECs you would have a very reasonable shot at DO and maybe an outside chance of an MD acceptance. Don't give up if being a doctor is your dream.

Thats the only way I see how you can redeem from recent SMP, because it basically says you are not cut out for medical school.

Doesn't all B's indicate that the OP was in the top half of all classes? (looking at GU SMP website and grading policies)

MD is game over. Throwing away 3 years to get to a 3.5 and then gambling for a 35 for maybe a shot is way too much cost and risk to be worth it. A year of retakes and applying to Osteopathic is the smart thing to do. Even then, I would fear Osteopathic schools would want an "MD reject" that's obviously taking them as second choice. Ever thought about Podiatry or Optometry?

Doesn't all B's indicate that the OP was in the top half of all classes? (looking at GU SMP website and grading policies)

For SMP, you need a 3.7 to be viewed as "success". It is expected that the student give it all they got in a SMP.

MD is game over. Throwing away 3 years to get to a 3.5 and then gambling for a 35 for maybe a shot is way too much cost and risk to be worth it. A year of retakes and applying to Osteopathic is the smart thing to do. Even then, I would fear Osteopathic schools would want an "MD reject" that's obviously taking them as second choice. Ever thought about Podiatry or Optometry?

DO schools (AACOMAS) would not know that you applied to MD, as they are on a different system.

A 3.5 + 35 is not a long shot to MD acceptance, it is about a 75% chance of acceptance somewhere. When I advocate taking 3 more years - usually you would know after the first year, or even the first semester, whether or not it is worth continuing on. Getting all As first year, will make the second year easier, and so on. If you get Bs again, then you know its time to pack up the bag.

DO schools (AACOMAS) would not know that you applied to MD, as they are on a different system.

A 3.5 + 35 is not a long shot to MD acceptance, it is about a 75% chance of acceptance somewhere. When I advocate taking 3 more years - usually you would know after the first year, or even the first semester, whether or not it is worth continuing on. Getting all As first year, will make the second year easier, and so on. If you get Bs again, then you know its time to pack up the bag.
You think they're going to see his Georgetown SMP and think that he wasn't gunning for MD all along and now he's moving into DO? Please.

3 years of work IS a gamble. It doesn't matter what you say. Lets put this scenario:

Semester 1 4.0, Semester 2 4.0, Semester 3 4.0, Semester 4 3.2. This CAN happen. 2 years of life are wasted. Lets put another scenario. All post-bacc: 3.9. Takes MCAT: 29. Game over. 3 years wasted. Money down the drain. 75% chance is still 1 in 4 chances to get rejected everywhere. Gamble. Not worth it.

You think they're going to see his Georgetown SMP and think that he wasn't gunning for MD all along and now he's moving into DO? Please.

3 years of work IS a gamble. It doesn't matter what you say. Lets put this scenario:

Semester 1 4.0, Semester 2 4.0, Semester 3 4.0, Semester 4 3.2. This CAN happen. 2 years of life are wasted. Lets put another scenario. All post-bacc: 3.9. Takes MCAT: 29. Game over. 3 years wasted. Money down the drain. 75% chance is still 1 in 4 chances to get rejected everywhere. Gamble. Not worth it.

I am not really concerned with his low MCAT. Most schools only look at your most recent take - so no damage is done with a bad score. Unless there is a learning disability, I am a strong believer that anyone can achieve a high score with adequate preparation.

Young pre-meds do need to take step back and look at their life and career in the grand scheme of things. Becoming a doctor at 30 or even 35 still gives you a long and rewarding career. Ask yourself, become a PA at 28 or become a Physician at age 35? If you choose the latter, then it is time to stand your ground and fight to the bitter end.

I know my school offers a school specific chart about:
how many students at my school applied to a med. program
and how many got accepted.

Find out if your school has one. It might help out your odds :)
gl

For an MD school, do even bother applying. For DO schools, you probably will make it in somewhere. You're a tad below our minimum cutoff (out here in the West), but i'm willing to wager another school will take you.
So start applying. B's in an SMP are fine. Cs are bad!

undergrad 3.17c/3.04sci.

32R on the MCAT (10 on bio, 11s on the other sections)

Decent ECs, got my share of volunteer/shadowing/hospital/lab and a published paper (2nd author though).

I did a year of georgetown's SMP and result was pretty bad, sitting at 3.02 due to pretty much all B's (just got my final grades, was waiting on my final paper grade to be in).

At this point, do I even have a shot at even DO schools? Should I just cut my losses and switch careers?

MedAdComMD, I never knew that to be viewed as "successful" in an SMP I'd need a 3.7. I wished I had known this prior to enrolling, since I got talked into the "it's a medschool B, not a normal B" shenanigan, which looking back was the exact same mistake I made in undergrad, so I got nobody to blame but myself. I always was a bit ******ed in that regard.

I actually wouldn't mind going into optometry, but I thought that was supposed to be crazy competitive? And I guess no matter where I go, I'll always carry the "MD reject" stigma with me, and it's just something I'll have to deal with.

This is actually the first time I've heard of podiatry, so I'll look into that too.

By the look of things its either make most out of my 5 yrs of education and do something primary care related, which I planned to do had I been able to get into MD anyway, or completely switch careers, and I really don't want to make that latter choice lightly.

I hesitate to go the 2-3 year school route just to gamble for a chance as MD/DO, and it's not because of MCAT. I got that 32 with only 1 week of studying, so breaking 35 shouldn't be too difficult for me if I get a bit more time to properly review and prepare. What I'm most worried about is shooting myself further in the foot by going back to school. Looking back now, while I've gotten plenty of A-'s in my non-math science courses to go with my B's and B+'s, I've never actually managed a proper A, not a single one. To me I think that's an extremely important indicator that I'd be better served with using what I already have instead of wasting money digging myself into a deeper hole, both financially and academically.

For an MD school, do even bother applying. For DO schools, you probably will make it in somewhere. You're a tad below our minimum cutoff (out here in the West), but i'm willing to wager another school will take you.
So start applying. B's in an SMP are fine. Cs are bad!

I assume you mean -don't- bother?

Well, I did have 1 C due to family problems (short 2 week class, so once I fell behind I wasn't able to catch back up), and it took 2 B+'s and a A- to wipe that one even. The reason I was waiting on my last paper grade was that I needed to do well on the paper to break a 3.0, otherwise I wouldn't even get the degree, so it's game over everywhere. I don't know if that C can get overlooked as an outlier, or if it's the final nail in the coffin, but there's no point hiding it either way. Finally, I was 1 and 2 points away from the B+ cutoff in 2 other courses, but that doesn't really matter much now.

Last edited:
Optometry averages sit around a 3.3. You can make it into a school as is if you have the right OAT score. You wouldn't need to do anything new for podiatry. The average MCAT there is like a 22. They will take you in a heart beat.

If being a doctor is truly your passion, I say play your odds for DO after some grade replacement. You can even do a year of Osteopathic post-bacc. Like you said, you can't beat that stigma of MD reject, but if you phrase it in the right way, the osteopathic whole person look might get you lucky.

Have you thought of Caribbean schools. You should be able to get into one of the big 4

For SMP, you need a 3.7 to be viewed as "success". It is expected that the student give it all they got in a SMP.

I still can't agree with this. Even if this person didn't give it their all they came out above the majority of the accepted students at Georgetown (3.7/32 as stats). If they did give it their all, then their all resulted in being ranked top half. Either way this person beat out 50% of an entering class which most people would never question was qualified.