Do I get "credit" for non-surgical pubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summer after MS1 I did psych research and ended up on a few papers, including one first author. This was a pretty neuroscience heavy psych project involving cortical rhythms and modulation. I'm now interested in academic surgical programs. Obviously research in the field is best, but how will programs look on this?

Members don't see this ad.

how the hell do people end up with "a few papers, including one first author" with one summer's worth of work. There's something so suspicious about that...

I had research in a similar area including a first author pub as an undergrad, and in my experience my interviewers were genuinely interested - mostly, as far as I could tell, in how well I could explain the research and my role to someone outside the field.

I did also go on to do more surgical related research prior to my apps, which I'd advise for you also.

Do also be prepared to discuss when and how your interests shifted from this field to surgery. Be able to explain this positively ("I realized I love X about surgery") rather than negatively ("I realized I didn't like Y about psych/neuro").

Reactions: 1 users
@addy, got lucky mostly. Older PI just really wanted to see me succeed. It wasn't just a summers worth of work either- project started in the spring and we got most of the data collection done in the summer, then kept working through the fall.

@TraumaLlamaMD thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user