Do i got a shot at an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwills

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at a reputable university (Top 20 University according to US News). URM (Hispanic). BS: Neurobiology

My GPA i am giving is based on the assumption of what i will get this upcoming senior year (I was realistic and know i can achieve these grades and possibly do better)

I also have a strong upward trend:
Feshman Year: BCPM-2.7, cGPA-2.8
Sophmore Year: BCPM-3.3, cGPA-3.42
Junior Year: BCPM- 3.5, cGPA- 3.56
(Projected) Senior Year: BCPM ~ 3.6 cGPA ~3.6

Overall:
BCPM ~ 3.35
cGPA ~ 3.35

MCAT - 31Q (V10/P10/B11)

ECs:
1. Hospital ER Volunteer (100 Hours)
2. ER Doctor Shadowing (~ 100 Hours)
3.Volunteered Helping Mentally Disabled Children with Autism and Down Syndrome - Did this the summer before i entered college so I'm not sure if it counts.
4. Paid Science Tutor in undeserved Public High Schools (1 semester)
5. Program that teaches health education to high school students in undeserved areas (4 semesters) w/ a leadership position in the program
6. Research Assistant in a Lab (3 semesters/15 hours a week) - No publications but hopefully a thesis at the end of this year
7. Summer Research Program (1 summer/40 hours a week) - Possible/likely I will be getting published
8. Hopefully starting a club this year (relevant to medicine)
9. Received an NIH grant to do research
10. Intramural Basketball
11. Civic Team Member (We don't really do anything but I'm a member)

So do i have a shot at getting into an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

so what would your GPA be without the 3.6s added in? If you are thinking of applying now, med schools will only look at the first 3 years.

so what would your GPA be without the 3.6s added in? If you are thinking of applying now, med schools will only look at the first 3 years.

I forgot to add that I am applying next year but just interested in everyone's thoughts.

Edit: Also please feel free to provide some OOS school's you think i have a chance at. I plan to apply to all schools in Texas and private schools in NYC (I know they are long shots but everyone can dream)

Members don't see this ad :)
not being an expert on MD as I am applying DO, if you apply broadly and as in the first few weeks, you have a shot. not a great shot, but a shot.

According to AAMC, a Hispanic with your combined GPA (3.20-3.39) and MCAT (30-32) has a ~68% chance of getting into at least 1 med school. Also, your EC's and MCAT score are great so if you could get your GPA up a little more, I'd say you have a really good chance of getting in.

Just to make sure you know that you are only a Hispanic URM if you are puerto rican or mexican. I am not sure if you are or not, but some people on this forum seem to be confused and think that the Hispanic URM status is liberally applied.
Can anybody confirm or refute this? I'm not sure but I dont think this is correct. I am Central American.

Really? Do you have a source? If so this is good news.
Yes, the source is the same one you posted. You didn't read it properly. It says clearly that "BEFORE 2003" the definition is Mexican/Puerto Rican. Before that statement, it says it's just people that are underrepresented, which leaves the door open for schools to interpret what Hispanics are and are not. Central Americans are not over represented in any part of the country, whereas say Cuban decent doctors have proliferated in Florida.

Adopted by the AAMC's Executive Council on June 26, 2003, the definition helps medical schools accomplish three important objectives:

a shift in focus from a fixed aggregation of four racial and ethnic groups to a continually evolving underlying reality. The definition accommodates including and removing underrepresented groups on the basis of changing demographics of society and the profession

Oh ok. I talked with my premed adviser and she told me I didn't count as an URM despite being half south american and a dual citizen. That is why I was pretty sure it was just for Puerto Ricans and Mexican-Americans.
Being a dual citizen or being only half is not quoted in any part of the text. You ARE URM. Your premed adviser is a *****. The same as the ***** that told me if I wanted to get into a medical school the prerequisites included upper division courses for ALL universities.

Bump.

Any other opinions on my chances and not what my URM status is?

Also, are these considered good/average/poor extracurriculars on average. I honestly thought i didn't have very many ECs and it would hurt my application. When i typed them all out like this they doesn't look TOO bad. Am i wrong?

Bump.

Any other opinions on my chances and not what my URM status is?

Also, are these considered good/average/poor extracurriculars on average. I honestly thought i didn't have very many ECs and it would hurt my application. When i typed them all out like this they doesn't look TOO bad. Am i wrong?
Overall good activities but I would spend more time on medical volunteering and shadow physicians in other specialties.