Do I have a chance? also, suggestions on where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcatsaymeow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Just got my MCAT score (second time around) and I'm not sure it's good enough. I also don't think I have time to study enough to retake and boost my score while still applying this coming cycle. I would love some more suggestions of where I should be applying (open to reputable schools abroad as well).
So far, schools I'm applying to: all Va state schools (especially interested in VCU), GW, Georgetown, Tulane, U Colorado, UC Dublin, UC Cork, Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. Would love some more suggestions! I am specifically interested in matching to neurology

I've got a masters degree in clinical neuroscience from UCL and a BA (GPA 3.85) in Psychology w/ neuroscience minor from UNCW
MCAT: 509 (124/127/128/130) & I've taken it previously with 506 (124/130/123/129)

Research experience: currently an RA at a clinical trials lab at Johns Hopkins, 2 dissertations, 2 publications as second author (hopefully more to come)
Volunteering: I was a translator on a medical trip to Honduras- 200hrs
Physician shadowing: some here and there, most of it abroad and pertaining to neurology/neurosurgery/radiology. (Total maybe 40 hours)
Nonclinical volunteering: ESL tutor 3 hours a week in college, random bits of soup kitchen/food drive help, currently a kids science educator at the Maryland science center 4 hours a week

Extracurriculars: free lance film editing, published film theorist, did a bunch of societies in undergrad
Employment: worked as waitstaff/bartender during grad school, in college I was a wedding film editor and clinic coordinator at peds EEG clinic, and in high school I was a surgical videographer for an ENT doc

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated! Can I do this with my current MCAT score or do I need to hold off and take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are additional schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
Wake Forest
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Vermont
You need to apply broadly to at least 20 schools to maximize your chances for an interview.