Do I have a chance at any D-schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wansuen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My First post here. Basically I've been looking at this forum for a while but I thought I might try getting some direct feedback on my situation.
I graduated this past spring 2006 with a low GPA of 2.75 (calculated by my school (UC, Irvine), so it's probably even lower through AADSAS because I retook a number of classes). I have since then started a Masters program in Biotechnology at a CSU and my average GPA will be about a 3.8 after this semester I think.
I did approx. 100 hours of volunteering at a free dental clinic while doing my undergrad, and I have been working part time as a Dental Assistant at an Endodontics office for the last 5 months (approx. 25 hrs a week) mainly to just show that I still have an interest in dentistry.
I will be taking the DAT this May and I hope to score at least 20s in everything.
So basically I plan to apply this year to D-schools. My top school would be UOP because I'm from california and thought I might have the best shot at UOP to stay in california. Otherwise I don't mind going anywhere for D-school, I just really want to get into dental school. NYU is probably my top out of state choice.
What do you guys think my chances are to getting into UOP, NYU, or really any dental school in the U.S.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are good. Many schools will roll a graduate GPA or second bachelors into previous undergrad, in your case- the 2.7 something gpa. Schools like to see an upward trend and you obviously changed a bit during this time, which is good and will be noticed by schools. Do well on the DAT and when interviewed, if they ask about the undergad GPA, explain it without making excuses- and move on quickly. The reason is they know your grades, scores, etc. so dont plunge into a discussion about your life back then. I think your good to go with a good DAT.

I'm in the same boat as you...

2.8 GPA at UCI. 3.6 GPA at Masters/Post-bacc at Duquesne University. 21 PAT/19 AA that I hope to improve on when I retake my DAT. New letters of rec, lots of experience in the field...

Regarding your chances, I spoke with an admissions counselor at NYU and they said that people that complete a masters are considered highly in the application cycle. I'm not sure if you've completed your masters, but if you haven't, if you state on your application that you intend on completing it before Fall 2008, then that would be considered the same as a completed masters.

When I told the counselor I would ideally not like to finish my masters (since I don't really have any use for it) and spend another 15000, they said I shouldn't state that I am going to complete my masters. There are also other things that might influence whether I should finish my masters, like how well I score on my DAT (I guess if I score very high i.e. 22+ across), then I might not have to complete a masters.

I hope that answers your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is America. Honestly, you can do whatever you want to do if you persist enough and can do alright on standardized tests.

nail the dat. Some schools to look at:

case
nova
louisville
temple
NYC
tufts
AZ
UNLV
indiana
marquette

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I really want to get into dental school as soon as I can without wasting anymore time.

Anyone else have any other advice or opinion?

Thanks

I think they are good. Many schools will roll a graduate GPA or second bachelors into previous undergrad, in your case- the 2.7 something gpa. Schools like to see an upward trend and you obviously changed a bit during this time, which is good and will be noticed by schools. Do well on the DAT and when interviewed, if they ask about the undergad GPA, explain it without making excuses- and move on quickly. The reason is they know your grades, scores, etc. so dont plunge into a discussion about your life back then. I think your good to go with a good DAT.

Yes, that is very accurate!

Marion

Hi Everyone,
My First post here. Basically I've been looking at this forum for a while but I thought I might try getting some direct feedback on my situation.
I graduated this past spring 2006 with a low GPA of 2.75 (calculated by my school (UC, Irvine), so it's probably even lower through AADSAS because I retook a number of classes). I have since then started a Masters program in Biotechnology at a CSU and my average GPA will be about a 3.8 after this semester I think.
I did approx. 100 hours of volunteering at a free dental clinic while doing my undergrad, and I have been working part time as a Dental Assistant at an Endodontics office for the last 5 months (approx. 25 hrs a week) mainly to just show that I still have an interest in dentistry.
I will be taking the DAT this May and I hope to score at least 20s in everything.
So basically I plan to apply this year to D-schools. My top school would be UOP because I'm from california and thought I might have the best shot at UOP to stay in california. Otherwise I don't mind going anywhere for D-school, I just really want to get into dental school. NYU is probably my top out of state choice.
What do you guys think my chances are to getting into UOP, NYU, or really any dental school in the U.S.

Thanks

I have a friend that is in a very similar situation, only they are finishing an MPH now. I think you have a good shot to get into d-school, especially at NYU of the two you mentioned. For UOP I'm not so sure, as a lot of people with excellent stats in my class didn't get interviews there. For UOP I think applying early and having an inside connection (LOR from a well known alumni, family member alumni etc.) is key. Your dental experience and advanced degree will make you stand out though. Good luck.

i personally know about the difficulties with UCI...i didnt go there but someone very dear to me does...

anyways...id say the past is past...now uve just got to look towards the future--> its seems ur heading in the right direction....

STOP thinking about the schools u want to go.get into...focus more on tearing up the DAT's...as you know--it sets everyone on a level playing field whether u goto calstate longbeach, UCI, or harvard...the DAT's set everyone equal so to "mask" your previous GPA show what u are actually capable of

after assessing your performance then decide on the schools...if u get into better schools than NYU and UOP go for em!

lol UCI...

I still remember the Upper Division Cell Biology Lab Final for that class...

I think the average was a ~17 out of 100 out of a class of about 150...

and its considered the 4th best UC.

if your dat is below 3.0 you have zero chance of getting into dental school. period. end of thread.

This is America. Honestly, you can do whatever you want to do if you persist enough and can do alright on standardized tests.
if you believe this, i have a bridge i want to sell you.

honestly people, if you couldn't even crack 3.0 in undergrad, you are too stupid for dental school.

dental school makes undergrad look like middle school

if your dat is below 3.0 you have zero chance of getting into dental school. period. end of thread.

If you really did get a DAT score below 3.0, I agree that'd be pretty bad. But a GPA below 3.0, while certainly not good, does not necessarily exclude you from dental school forever. The guy is getting good marks and working toward an advanced degree now that he's got his s*** together. I figure he's got a shot to get in somewhere.

not to come off offensive but...how are you guys getting into graduate schools with low GPA? I'm guessing they look at current GPA instead of cumulative??

thanks again.

honestly people, if you couldn't even crack 3.0 in undergrad, you are too stupid for dental school.

What a flamebait post. There is a user on these forums by the name of Armorshell that couldn't get a 2.8 in undergrad for whatever reasons, but he busted out an insane score on his DAT (25AA, I think). Are you saying that he's too stupid to make it in dental school, yet he can score in the Top .05% of all DAT takers? So by your definition, he's no good for dental school. :laugh:

GPA and DAT are not indicators of dental school performance. They only indicate academic potential of an applicant, which helps during the selection process. Trust me on this, there are studies out there to completely back it up. My uncle finished with a 2.88 in his undergrad, attended dental school on the east coast, and is now an oral surgeon after finishing his residency some three years back. The original poster was right in that this is America and you do what you want. Telling applicants they are stupid and can't make it for whatever hiccups they had in undergrad is not an acceptable way of building the profession.

If having a Masters factored into Admissions extending an acceptance offer, I would double check with them before just dropping out/not finishing. If you put on your application that you planned to finish, you probably should.

Because I know that for undergrad, the acceptance letter can say that it is contingent upon meeting the requirements for graduation. The school can actually rescind the offer if the applicant didn't meet the conditions under which the acceptance was offered.

I don't think I would risk it . . . at least find out!

not to come off offensive but...how are you guys getting into graduate schools with low GPA? I'm guessing they look at current GPA instead of cumulative??

thanks again.

I think I was pretty lucky to get into my grad school. Most of the grad schools I looked into had a minimum average GPA of 3.0. But a newer CSU school near me just started their biotech masters program a couple years before I started (so I assumed they were a little more lenient about who they accepted) and also I indirectly knew the program director so I was able to get accepted with my below 3.0 GPA.

seriously nobody needs to see posts like this.