Do I have a chance at getting accepted into PA school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allied32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I transferred from a state university with a 3.8 GPA and I was also in the honors program to a private liberal arts college where classes are A LOT harder. I will have around a 3.3-3.4 GPA here. By the time I graduate I will have a degree in biopsychology with a minor in chemistry. I am guessing I will finish with an overall GPA around 3.4-3.5 and a science GPA of 3.3-3.4. I know this isn't the best, but it would be a lot worse. I should accumulate around 1000 hours working in an assisted living facility (no certification). However, I can't find any PAs to shadow. I will also have volunteer hours in hospice care and at a nursing home. I'm not too worried about the GRE because I have done above average on every standardized exam I've taken (I know it's different, but I am studying my butt off for this as well). I am also very well structured on my writing skills, so I think the personal statement should help me out. Should I wait to apply until I can bring my GPA up a little, or do you think it'll be okay? Also, if you have any other comments on something that would make me stand out I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You have a strong chance. The big thing you need to do is find a PA to shadow or work alongside, as many schools either require or strongly recommend shadowing.

If you have an unsuccessful cycle, it will be unlikely that your GPA is the culprit. Beefing up your ECs or a broader application would be substantially more likely to boost your chances of admission the second time around.

Try cold calling (just leave a message at the office, your name and interest in shadowing). Worked well for me, got a call back 2 days later.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a strong chance. If you are concerned about your GPA, take more science electives (that's what I did). Your connections to PA's and other health-professionals are important too - you want people who know you well that are going to write you an enthusiastic LOR!

I think you have a good chance as well, as long as you do well on your GRE and can find some PAs to shadow. For me, I volunteered in a hospital and met PAs during my shifts. I asked if I could come back at another time and shadow them and they said yes since I was already cleared to be in the hospital as a volunteer. I would work on getting more hours and re-taking any classes to beef up your GPA.

Good luck!

Grades are king, and yours are decent enough that if you present your experience in health care the right way, you are in decent shape if you apply broadly.