Medical Do I have a chance at residency (IMG)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non US IMG who graduated in 2016. My step 1 in Dec 2016 was 210 and step 2 CK in June 2017 was 215 and CS pass (1st attempt). I had only 2 USCE in 2018 , but then I got diagnosed with a chronic illness that left me bed bound. I literally had to leave everything while I tried my hardest to recover. In 2019, I became better and joined an MPH program at a top university in the US to focus on mental health and get back on my feet. Meanwhile I never applied for residency.

I took Step 3 and got a 250.. I am over the moon happy that I did well.. but I am scared and unsure of whether I have a chance of matching. I am deeply passionate about Family medicine since I am a patient of chronic illness and primary care is a huge part of my life but I only have 2 USCE and no publication. I am doing research right now, and hopefully will be joining Harvard for research too (waiting to hear back from them) but I don't have a publication yet. I have such passion about integrative medicine and research regarding managing chronic illness. I know I will work with extreme devotion.

But do you think as a visa requiring person, I have a chance?? Step 1 210, Step 2 215, Step 3 250.

Would love some insight. I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

You still have a chance.

There may be positions available outside the match currently that you could look into, though I'm not the most familiar with that process.

There may be some limitations, for instance graduation 4 years ago (will be 5 if you enter the next match). Some programs limit how many years since graduation you can be, but family medicine is more open than many other fields in terms of what they accept.

Apply broadly and I think you'll get your interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.