Do I have a chance for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citsouca1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Semester at my school

B+ Gen Bio
A- Calculus 1
A- English 1
A Spanish

Second Semester (Current)
~ B or B+ Gen Bio II
~ B Calc 2
~ B+ English Seminar
~ A psychology

Pharm tech almost a year at a local CVS.

I feel as if I won't make into pharmacy school with these ugly Bs especially in Biology. I never really had Bs until college = /. I am taking Gen Chem 1+2 with 2 other prereqs over the summer and trying to apply for the accelerated program in MCPHS in Worcester/Manchester. Where else could I apply to accelerated programs. I regret so much not applying to MCPHS in Boston straight out of high school but oh well. I want to become a pharmacist as soon as I can and move on with my life. However, I feel as if MCP won't accept these Bs.

I emailed them about the acceptance rate. One told me that 85% had a 3.3 average with a BS degree. With this statistic I feel I won't get in but I am trying hard... sort of. >_<

Do I have a chance despite these numerous Bs in my second semester. I am quite mad about it but eh, what can I do? Is there any hope? What schools should I apply for 2009? (I know its really early to ask)

Members don't see this ad.

B+ Gen Bio
A- Calculus 1
A- English 1
A Spanish

~ B or B+ Gen Bio II
~ B Calc 2
~ B+ English Seminar
~ A psychology

I feel as if I won't make into pharmacy school with these ugly Bs especially in Biology. I never really had Bs until college = /. I am taking Gen Chem 1+2 with 2 other prereqs over the summer and trying to apply for the accelerated program in MCPHS in Worcester/Manchester. Where else could I apply to accelerated programs. I regret so much not applying to MCPHS in Boston straight out of high school but oh well. I want to become a pharmacist as soon as I can and move on with my life. However, I feel as if MCP won't accept these Bs.

I emailed them about the acceptance rate. One told me that 85% had a 3.3 average with a BS degree. With this statistic I feel I won't get in but I am trying hard... sort of. >_<

Do I have a chance despite these numerous Bs in my second semester. I am quite mad about it but eh, what can I do? Is there any hope? What schools should I apply for 2009? (I know its really early to ask)

It's kind of hard to make a prediction when you didn't even complete your second semester of college yet and have't even taken your most basic core science pre-reqs.

I don't know what your chances are but if she said that 85 % had a BS that means your are competing with people who are 3-4 years ahead of you in their education and you have to work extra hard to make your application stand out.

What kind of EC's do you have ?

Do you plan on applying for Fall 09 ?

Also if I was you I'd change my study habbits - chemistry to a lot of people is more intense than biology - so if you want to do well in it you need to figure out what you are doing wrong and change it.

B's are pretty good for grades. Problem with Chemistry in college is that they don't give you any formula sheets. The only way to remember them is to do the problems in the book.

Chemistry isn't hard to learn. It is easy, but just takes time.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for extracurriculars, I have none during college. I work about 21 hours each week. I hear chemistry is awful but I was taught in high school to enjoy chemistry a lot unlike Biology.

I also do not plan for applying in fall 09. I want to get my prereqs done first and then transfer to a pharmacy school.

What should I do to make myself stand out of others? Volunteer work at a local hospital pharmacy?

The important thing to remeber is that pharmacy schools aren't just always looking for an all A student. They want students who are well rounded and have good communication skills. Keep your good work up and try to enjoy your life as much as possible. The last thing you want is to end up hating your profession becuase of the stress you put on yourself getting there.

B's are pretty good for grades. Problem with Chemistry in college is that they don't give you any formula sheets. The only way to remember them is to do the problems in the book.

Chemistry isn't hard to learn. It is easy, but just takes time.

lol @ formula sheets

The important thing to remeber is that pharmacy schools aren't just always looking for an all A student. They want students who are well rounded and have good communication skills. Keep your good work up and try to enjoy your life as much as possible. The last thing you want is to end up hating your profession becuase of the stress you put on yourself getting there.

But the thing is, I want to move on with college and make it the quickest years possible. I don't know. Eh... So I am in good standing thus far as it appears?

But the thing is, I want to move on with college and make it the quickest years possible. I don't know. Eh... So I am in good standing thus far as it appears?

What he means by that is that you lack and desperately need EC activities that will make you appear as a well rounded applicant to the adcoms.

So far you appear as a fairly ordinary applcaint to me: you have only completed your most basic classes and you are doing ok in them - so academics do not set you apart because there are applicants that are applying with multiple BS and even MS degrees and 4.0 GPA's.

What will set you apart is the stuff you will do on top of school and you seem to have none of it so far.

What he means by that is that you lack and desperately need EC activities that will make you appear as a well rounded applicant to the adcoms.

So far you appear as a fairly ordinary applcaint to me: you have only completed your most basic classes and you are doing ok in them - so academics do not set you apart because there are applicants that are applying with multiple BS and even MS degrees and 4.0 GPA's.

What will set you apart is the stuff you will do on top of school and you seem to have none of it so far.

alright, so what do you suggest to make myself stand out?

Why?? College is supposed to be FUN.

I never understood how college is supposed to be "FUN". If your major requires constant work and studying and your goal is to be accepted into professional school, leaving you with very limited time to actually enjoy life such as socializing or going out, then I don't see how it is supposed to be fun. And those who say it's supposed to be fun because of lack of real responsibilities, I disagree with that. There are people who also hold down a job throughout college, such as myself, and therefore know what it is like to have responsibility. I would say college might be fun if you are an art history major or something along those lines because you have plenty of leisure/down time in which you could meet other people and go out OR if you go away to school after you graduate from high school...in the latter case, moving away from home and making yourself independent in college by living alone might make the experience more exciting. However, if you go to a local school and live with your parents, it's not exactly fun. But to each his own.

alright, so what do you suggest to make myself stand out?
That depends on you and your school. Is there a group or an activity that is offered that you enjoy. Or in your community?
My example is that I joined my local volunteer fire department, it was something that I was interested in and I really enjoy. However, not everyone is cut out to be a firefighter and so they should find something else that they enjoy. Make it something that you are going to enjoy taking part in. If you just do something to make it look good on the application then you won't be able to convey why you enjoy that activity in an interview setting.
I hope that makes sense, my brain is about dead from the last weeks of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That depends on you and your school. Is there a group or an activity that is offered that you enjoy. Or in your community?
My example is that I joined my local volunteer fire department, it was something that I was interested in and I really enjoy. However, not everyone is cut out to be a firefighter and so they should find something else that they enjoy. Make it something that you are going to enjoy taking part in. If you just do something to make it look good on the application then you won't be able to convey why you enjoy that activity in an interview setting.
I hope that makes sense, my brain is about dead from the last weeks of school.

Thanks. I have thought of a few ideas to do for my high school. The commute to the college is very discouraging to do clubs there though. But oh well, I guess I'll find a club to start there.

B+ Gen Bio
A- Calculus 1
A- English 1
A Spanish

~ B or B+ Gen Bio II
~ B Calc 2
~ B+ English Seminar
~ A psychology

You probably won't like this since you want to hurry through life but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to have a 4 year degree to enter an accelerated program.

From their website:
"PharmD and Nursing Applicants

Who should apply? Students applying for admission into the accelerated Nursing and PharmD programs on the Worcester/Manchester campus. Students must hold bachelor degrees or substantial credits to apply."

So its not something you can rush into. Sorry.

B+ Gen Bio
A- Calculus 1
A- English 1
A Spanish

~ B or B+ Gen Bio II
~ B Calc 2
~ B+ English Seminar
~ A psychology

First of all dont listen to that idiot who puts up pictures of individuals suckling on strawberries...that person hasnt even been accepted to any school yet and if you read any of past threads she has failed a bunch of classes.....

Know saying that...you definitely have decent grades...I strongly think you can get into a pharmacy school by working in the field as a pharmacist clerk or technician...With a combination of your grades, some related work experience, and good letters of recomindations..you will get in...no doubt about it.

First of all dont listen to that idiot who puts up pictures of individuals suckling on strawberries...that person hasnt even been accepted to any school yet and if you read any of past threads she has failed a bunch of classes.....

Know saying that...you definitely have decent grades...I strongly think you can get into a pharmacy school by working in the field as a pharmacist clerk or technician...With a combination of your grades, some related work experience, and good letters of recomindations..you will get in...no doubt about it.

You do not deserve any explanations. I changed my mind about having to explain myself to someone I, personally, consider a failure. Please do not project your middle life crisis on me.

Wow, at the personal attacks here.

Yeah, clubs are a good start. I'm having problems here at LIU because my ideas for clubs are being shot down even though there is a lot of interest generated.

Since LIU is an urban campus, there is a phobia going around of anything related to guns and weapons.

I wanted to start a club on campus for Paintball, Archery, Riflery (is it spelled like that), Martial Arts, swords, etc.

But yeah, each of them has been struck down. I mean, there are much higher rates of injury in basketball and soccer, but those clubs have no problems being funded by the school.

The soccer field is big enough to hold a paintball and archery range. Paintballs cannot reach that far and as long as the participants are wearing goggles, there are no injuries.

You don't know what is going on, so do not get involved. This person has harassed me for weeks even after I specifically asked him to leave me alone, sending me personal message in which he cussed me out and used a language criminals in prison wouldn't use ( he is an ex cop btw:confused:.) He has also badmouthed a bunch of other people in different threads, pretty much everyone who ever got on his nerves.

I'd like to meet him in person, I wonder if he is as brave and rude in person as when he is when hiding behind a computer screen.

You don't know what is going on, so do not get involved. This person has harassed me for weeks even after I specifically asked him to leave me alone, sending me personal message in which he cussed me out and used a language criminals in prison wouldn't use ( he is an ex cop btw:confused:.) He has also badmouthed a bunch of other people in different threads, pretty much everyone who ever got on his nerves.

I'd like to meet him in person, I wonder if he is as brave and rude in person as when he is when hiding behind a computer screen.

lol......let it go...........simmerdown..my old friend ...simmerdown.....oh i forgot...So does that picture mean you look like Angelina Jolie" Let me guess your her twin from russia...

lol......let it go...........simmerdown..my old friend ...simmerdown.....oh i forgot...So does that picture mean you look like Angelina Jolie" Let me guess your her twin from russia...

It just simply means that this is my avatar. Once again I am convinced that maturity and wisdom do not always come with age. You are a decade older than me, yet, pocess a maturity of a 12 year old. That is sad.

If you care to find out what I look like, drive to SF and I'll be happy to go out with you. Of course, I do not guarantee that I wouldn't accidentally spill my drink into your face. I have almost no tolerance for rude poorly educated middle aged men.

It just simply means that this is my avatar. Once again I am convinced that maturity and wisdom do not always come with age. You are like a decade older than me, yet, pocess a maturity of a 12 year old. That is sad.

If you care to find out what I look like, drive to SF and I'll be happy to go out with you. Of course, I do not guarantee that I wouldn't accidentally spill my drink into your face.

I wouldnt mind if you spill your drink "into" my face...depending what kind of drink your throwing into my face ...if its an "adios"...I love adios...im all game for it...your the best honey bunny

OK, this thread has been hijacked :hijacked:. Can we get back to the OP's original question now?

I wouldnt mind if you spill your drink "into" my face...depending what kind of drink your throwing into my face ...if its an "adios"...I love adios...im all game for it...your the best honey bunny

Sorry, I only date accomplished people with science backgrounds. Don't waste your time on me.

Really, my current bf is working on his master's in biochemistry. My ex graduated with 2 BS in chemistry and biochemistry at the age of 20. He is now a medical student.

As you see, I like em young and smart, you are neither.

lol...you like little boys...thats cool....to each their own...i dont think we would work..because I like strong confident women who are not shallow and have to put on a masquerade so they can send an image of something they are not...you seem kinda fake...so we wouldnt work

lol...you like little boys...thats cool....to each their own...i dont think we would work..because I like strong confident women who are not shallow and have to put on a masquerade so they can send an image of something they are not...you seem kinda fake...so we wouldnt work

I am everything I am and much more than you can imagine. As for the shallowness, I think intellect is the most erotic spot in the man. I can't seem to find it in you though.

If you still like a drink thrown into your face, let me know though.

Funny thread :laugh:, something to waste time on!

Meh, lets go back to the original topic. I realized that I do have/had some extracurricular activities and here they are:

Peer tutoring young children for 2 months 06-07
Created Fall Intramural Tennis at local high school 07
Will become High School Assistant Tennis Coach of Spring 08
Will create Summer Intramural Tennis of Summer 08
Will teach high school students the mechanics of tennis during summer 08
and when I apply in 2010, pharm tech for 2 years at local cvs.

should I include ECs during high school?