Do I have A chance in getting in?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by minkyu1, Oct 17, 2001.

1. minkyu1

minkyu1 New Member

I was wondering if i could get some feedback about my chances of getting in. I'm in pharmacy school graduating 2002. I never really wanted to be a Pharmacist, i just went b/c i wanted to work towards something so i have more time to think about what i wanted to do. Well, I plan apply to dent school. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.30 and Pharmacy school GPA of 3.15. I haven't taken the DAT's yet but i think i can do good. I don't know if I can bring up my GPA all that much b/c i have over 200 units?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Thebeyonder

Thebeyonder Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hi,
    I think professional schools might have a serious problem accepting you into their programs with the extreme shortage of pharmacists at the present time.

4. What Thebeyonder says in not true at all. I'm not sure where he got that from. :confused: Why would dental schools care about the shortage of pharmacists? What they want is qualified applicants interested in dentistry. As long as you do above average on the DAT, you should have no problems getting into a dental school. The top dental schools are obviously more competitive and you'd have to do really well on the DAT to be considered. Good luck and let us know what happens.

5. vixen

vixen I like members

minky
    study hard for the dat...3.3 is ok, so do well on the dat, apply early and apply to a decent amount of schools. Good luck! :)

6. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

I'd say your chnaces would be excellent. You completed a tough health care professional program with better than a "B" average. If academia appeals to you, I also think you would be well positioned to apply for acceptance to a combined DDS/PHD program in the area of dental medicine.

7. Thebeyonder

Thebeyonder Senior Member

Medical Student
    Posted by owcc16:
    Perhaps, but I hear that med techs have a low rate (in addition to nursing and pharm) because their "dedication to medicine is very low, considering such, they are entering the MD program primarily for the money". That was not me, but an admin officer who I have spoken to..I kid you not..

owcc16

8. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

I'll bet you a nickel you get in! :)

9. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member

Hrmm, is it me or is this not a<b>dental</b> school forum? What does meical school have to do with this? It's true medical schools don't want you to study in any other field besides medicine but I doubt dental is the same. They are less restrictive. My mom's dentist was in medical school, but by a freak accident he lost 1/2 of his thumb and dropped out to be a dentist. (he wanted to be a surgeon)

10. twinkie

twinkie Junior Member

minkyu1,
    Did you attended UCDavis as an undergrad. I am currently a student there. I'm looking into pharmacy as a career. Can you tell me how competitive it is to get into a pharmacy school and how hard is it to get through it? This is my 3rd year as an undergrad and I have a 3.34 GPA. I have doubts of whether I can get into any pharmacy schools. Which pharmacy schools did you get into?

11. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member

twinkie, go apply at western u pharmacy. you'll get in there 100%.

12. twinkie

twinkie Junior Member

preludexl
    Can I ask what made you think I could get into Western Univ?

13. eleannaDDS

eleannaDDS Member

minky,

You'll be just fine with your undergrad GPA, in terms of the admission process. Just make sure that you'll prepared to answer questions the admissions committee may ask you about why you're choosing dentistry after already selecting and completing another health profession program. They'll wonder why you're changing your mind, and may question your commitment to the dental program, i.e. they might ask what would stop you from changing your mind about dentistry once you start it. As long as you've got a solid answer, I'm sure that dental schools would definitely consider you as being a possible student.