Do I have a chance of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringQueen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure how to say this but I'm basically at my lowest point ever and in need to serious advice.
Short story: I came to the US as an African immigrant with little to no english at the age of 18. I work hard and finished the last year in a half of high school and managed to get into a small private college (that shall remain nameless) which offered me a great scholarship. Unfortunately, since I wasn't well prepared for college due to my background and lack of proper counseling, I needed up with an overall ~3.0 GPA and 2.5 science GPA with a BA in biology. I took the DAT twice and did average (18 and 19) because I didn't have the money to spend on preparatory materials. I retook some of my pre requisites and currently I'm enrolled in biomedical MS program, but my GPA isn't all that great either (3.25). I'm preparing for the DAT for the third time and so far my practice exams look OK (20+).
Extracurricular activities: Soon after graduating from college I landed an internship with the UN in Africa. Also, I've shadowed many dentists (general, orthodontist, and a pediatric dentist). Moreover, I've taken online dental education modules offered by Penn and UCSF dental schools to expand my knowledge about dentistry. Plus, I speak and write 3 languages fluently.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
GPA and DAT are #1. I hate to be blunt but with a 3.25 post bacc GPA you are gonna need at least a 23+AA.

Others may have different opinions so take my advice lightly

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I personally think your unique background and experiences are of the type that can overshadow mediocre GPA and DAT scores. I hate even using the term mediocre here, as these GPAs are actually quite impressive for you having come to the states at 18 years old. If you get the DAT to 20+, I think you're in a solid position to be accepted provided you apply wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes, the DAT and GPA are kind of low and that is key to getting interviews. Honestly? Your ECs are amazing, but more effort there will see diminishing returns because that is not your weak point. Your science background seems to be weak (from your grades), so if I were you, I'd spend a few months working every day for hours a day to get a decent DAT score. Im talking knowing bio/chem like the back of your hand. A fail-safe RC strategy and a plan for PAT section practiced over and over. If you can obtain a 22+ on your DAT, then even with a low GPA (which you can 'blame' on you being a new immigrant), you still look good. Your EC shows that you have the personality and DAT shows that you have the mental acuity.

I think the HBCs would give you a fair shot. Howard and Meharry provided you show more community service.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA and DAT are #1. I hate to be blunt but with a 3.25 post bacc GPA you are gonna need at least a 23+AA.

Others may have different opinions so take my advice lightly
Thank you and I appreciate your honesty

I personally think your unique background and experiences are of the type that can overshadow mediocre GPA and DAT scores. I hate even using the term mediocre here, as these GPAs are actually quite impressive for you having come to the states at 18 years old. If you get the DAT to 20+, I think you're in a solid position to be accepted provided you apply wisely.

I have been woking full time and caring for my family while juggling my MS, which explains the low GPA. As much as I dislike taking advantage of my immigration status, I still want to show that I'm a greta candidate. Thank you for your uplifting response.

I agree with all that has been said already. Score high and then apply to a HBCU! Will be sending prayers your way my African sister!

Yikes, the DAT and GPA are kind of low and that is key to getting interviews. Honestly? Your ECs are amazing, but more effort there will see diminishing returns because that is not your weak point. Your science background seems to be weak (from your grades), so if I were you, I'd spend a few months working every day for hours a day to get a decent DAT score. Im talking knowing bio/chem like the back of your hand. A fail-safe RC strategy and a plan for PAT section practiced over and over. If you can obtain a 22+ on your DAT, then even with a low GPA (which you can 'blame' on you being a new immigrant), you still look good. Your EC shows that you have the personality and DAT shows that you have the mental acuity.
I appreciate the honesty of your response. Actually, I have gotten the highest scores in my GC (20), OC(20), and PAT(23) sections, but due to my slow reading speed RC and QR sections killed my score both times. However, This time I have the budget to spend on preparing hardcore and aiming to score at least a 20+ in each section.

Last edited:
I appreciate the honesty of your response. Actually, I have gotten the highest scores in my GC (20), OC(20), and PAT(23) but due to my slow reading speed RC and QR sections killed my score both times. However, This time I have the budget to spend on preparing hardcore and aiming scoring at least a 20+ in each section.

English is actually my third language and I found that what helped me a lot was reading tons of books. Im talking cheesy horror novels (my favourite) or whatever you like. Then maybe writing short stories on the side (helps you express your thoughts into words without having to do so with speech). Then again this takes time so if you are crunched, just read lots.

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure how to say this but I'm basically at my lowest point ever and in need to serious advice.
Short story: I came to the US as an African immigrant with little to no english at the age of 18. I work hard and finished the last year in a half of high school and managed to get into a small private college (that shall remain nameless) which offered me a great scholarship. Unfortunately, since I wasn't well prepared for college due to my background and lack of proper counseling, I needed up with an overall ~3.0 GPA and 2.5 science GPA with a BA in biology. I took the DAT twice and did average (18 and 19) because I didn't have the money to spend on preparatory materials. I retook some of my pre requisites and currently I'm enrolled in biomedical MS program, but my GPA isn't all that great either (3.25). I'm preparing for the DAT for the third time and so far my practice exams look OK (20+).
Extracurricular activities: Soon after graduating from college I landed an internship with the UN in Africa. Also, I've shadowed many dentists (general, orthodontist, and a pediatric dentist). Moreover, I've taken online dental education modules offered by Penn and UCSF dental schools to expand my knowledge about dentistry. Plus, I speak and write 3 languages fluently.

Thanks
So how old are you now? How long have you been to the U.S.? It seems that you are heavily blaming your low academic performance, English proficiency, and average DAT score on the fact that you are an immigrant and have financial issues. You took the DAT twice but didn't have the money to buy a DAT book? You should have planned more wisely after that first 18 you got. If you have a computer, you have access to ton of online resources and advice from all over. Maybe you should have decided what you were prepared for or not. Think smart! Please be more responsible and please don't portray the idea that you tend to blame on the application to dental schools. Goodluck this year.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

I'll be blunt. You're struggling to do well in your sciences and you will undoubtedly suffer BIGLY in dental school if you are accepted anywhere. In my view, taking the DAT that many times certainly won't be seen as a positive thing. It is not a field for everyone. And there are many other careers for you if science is your passion. Even if your EC's get you an interview think to yourself, do you really want to know that you got into dental school because of an internship in Africa?