Do I have a chance OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prays4snow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had always planned on General Dentistry after school but very recently I have become really interested in Oral surgery. I have a 3.75 GPA/ ranked 13 out of 83, and and 89 on Part 1. No externships but I can arrange maybe 2 before the fall semester is over. Is it worth applying this year or should I consider a GPR or internship to better the chances next year? Also can you apply for GPRs and Residencies at the same time or does that look bad? If it makes a difference I'm really interested in 4 year programs.

Please let me know what ya think and give any helpful advise.

Members don't see this ad.

your numbers actually look really good. I would do at least 2 externships and apply this year. Don't apply for GPRs. If you don't get in, then apply for internships or try to post-match. Also, the 4 yr programs are a little more competitive than 6, but you look like you'd have a good chance for either program.

I would schedule like 2 externships. Then I would fill out your application and say you did the two externships that you will eventually do.
Just make sure you do them.
And 6 year programs are definitely more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is free and is worth equal to or less than that. If I were in your situation, I would do as many externships as possibly. Get them set up and put them on your application even before you go, DO THE EXTERNSHIPS, talk about them in your interviews.

Your numbers are good but just barely outside some programs' cut off point. You might not get all the interviews you want but I bet you will get plenty of interviews, as long as the rest of your application is just as solid. (good PPIs, LORs, well written personal statement, well rounded CV) So I would apply to more programs to increase your chances of getting interviewed.

Apply now, no GPR, if you don't match then do an OMS internship. Good luck.

Now as far as that little comment EXT tried to throw in and pass off as a well known fact, I will have to disagree. In my theory, 6 year programs are more competitive.

your numbers actually look really good. I would do at least 2 externships and apply this year. Don't apply for GPRs. If you don't get in, then apply for internships or try to post-match. Also, the 4 yr programs are a little more competitive than 6, but you look like you'd have a good chance for either program.

Medical schools most often require a certain requirement on NBDE Part I due to studies correlating Part I scores to USMLE Step I (i.e., http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239103001150).
This is where the whole "90 or above" comes from. 4-year programs don't have these stipulations from a medical school.
However, bigger nerd --> higher board score --> LESS hot wife :( So it is kind of a tradeoff... Either way though, chicks dig surgeons :thumbup:

Medical schools most often require a certain requirement on NBDE Part I due to studies correlating Part I scores to USMLE Step I (i.e., http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239103001150).
This is where the whole "90 or above" comes from. 4-year programs don't have these stipulations from a medical school.
However, bigger nerd --> higher board score --> LESS hot wife :( So it is kind of a tradeoff... Either way though, chicks dig surgeons :thumbup:

HAHAHAHA! Awesome.....