Jul 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello I was just wondering what my odds are of getting into a decent medical school (preferably anywhere in California or the west coast). 3.45GPA, 3.2sGPA, 30MCAT (am retaking 1-2 times more), 2 years of paid research at 2 high tier undergraduate institutions, 1 year of working as an intern, and 2 years playing a club sport (not sure if that matter). I will be applying out of USC. GPA isn't as high as I'd like but it is brought down by a low freshman/sophomore gpa (2.6 in the first 2 years of school). Will my final GPA and upward trend be enough? I'm also a URM if that makes a difference. Thank you.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
A couple of questions:
- what UIM group do you represent?
-why are you planning to retake the MCAT 1-2 times more? You have a 30. Why would you PLAN to retake it again and again? What if your score goes down once or twice?
-what is your state of residence?

All US medical schools are decent. @gyngyn can advise you on Cali schools but I do know it is very hard for anyone to gain an acceptance in Cali. I think I read that more California students leave the state to attend med school than stay. Are you considering DO?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

OP
H
Jul 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm half African American. I've taken the MCAT once and got a 30. I think I can get like a 32 perhaps so that's why I'm considering retaking it. I haven't applied yet to med school. I mean I'll apply to DO schools, but I would much much rather go the MD route.
I'm from California. @candbgirl @gyngyn

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Do not re-take an unexpired 30!
You are a good candidate for most CA schools.
Depending on the rest of your application, OOS privates are also a good bet.

Reactions: Goro