Do I have a chance to get into medical school if I have a GED?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeeycourt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for my GED, and I wanted to know what are my chances? I plan on going to a community college right after I get my GED. Then I will apply for a university once I get enough credits. I'm about to volunteer at a hospital. I am seriously determined to become a doctor. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

No one cares if you have a GED. Get a high GPA at CC and a high GPA at a university and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
No one cares if you have a GED. Get a high GPA at CC and a high GPA at a university and you will be fine.

This is exactly what I did. Homeschooled 1st through 12th grade, took my GED, and spent my first several years at community college before transferring. Never took an SAT in my life!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly what I did. Homeschooled 1st through 12th grade, took my GED, and spent my first several years at community college before transferring. Never took an SAT in my life!
Any advice?

Any advice?
If I may contribute, I have my GED too. and went the cc route.

Start out slowly... start with a summer course or a 8-12 credit semester.
If you're on the borderline in a course sequence (i.e. algebra vs. precalc, remedial chem vs. college chem), I'd highly recommend going to the lower level since college courses move more quicky.
If you do really well, like a 3.7 or higher, you'll be competitive grade-wise at a handful of well-known universities that are non-trad & transfer friendly. The UCs, Michigan, UVa, Vanderbilt, Emory, Penn LPS, Brown and Columbia GS are good examples. Some do require the ACT/SAT though

If I may contribute, I have my GED too. and went the cc route.

Start out slowly... start with a summer course or a 8-12 credit semester.
If you're on the borderline in a course sequence (i.e. algebra vs. precalc, remedial chem vs. college chem), I'd highly recommend going to the lower level since college courses move more quicky.
If you do really well, like a 3.7 or higher, you'll be competitive grade-wise at a handful of well-known universities that are non-trad & transfer friendly. The UCs, Michigan, UVa, Vanderbilt, Emory, Penn LPS, Brown and Columbia GS are good examples. Some do require the ACT/SAT though

Oh ok. I'm starting a cc next fall because I'm getting tutored in all subjects threw out the spring semester before I start so I can enter in all college transfer table classes rather than remedial classes.

Reactions: 1 user
GED holders are welcome, but undergrad GPA is very, very important, so take every undergrad class seriously.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also a GED holder, I received my high school diploma from a private school. It wasn't acceptable at any colleges (Public & Private). I have to take the ACT June 13, 2015 and get decent scores to start on college level courses. I am starting community college Fall term 2015, is it possible that I could start volunteering and shadowing physicians my freshmen year at community colleges?

Yes.
I am also a GED holder, I received my high school diploma from a private school. It wasn't acceptable at any colleges (Public & Private). I have to take the ACT June 13, 2015 and get decent scores to start on college level courses. I am starting community college Fall term 2015, is it possible that I could start volunteering and shadowing physicians my freshmen year at community colleges?