Do I have a chance to match in Gen Surgery? (IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jelly-Bean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an IMG. Recently I got my Step 1 score and I blew it. (I got low 240s).
Is there any chance, any chance at all, for me to match to gen surgery residency in mid tier program?
Do you have any advice for what should I do next?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am a med student from Europe. I will be graduating in 2017. Recently I got my Step 1 score and I blew it. (I got low 240s).
Is there any chance, any chance at all, for me to match to gen surgery residency in mid tier program?
Do you have any advice for what should I do next?

Here is what I'm planning to do:
get some USCE while still at school & some more USCE after I graduate...I would like to apply for 2019 match.
step 3 before applying
I haven't done any research whatsoever, and I should probably do something about that too.
I (probably) won't need visa.

Is there anything more I can do to improve my chances? Or am I doomed and I should stick with some more IMG-friendly specialty?

You can't get U.S.clinical experience after graduating from medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Didn't know that. What about externship - doesn't that count?

An externship won't count for much. Actual clinic rotations mean much, much more. Getting some letters from US surgeons will go far in getting you a chance for a spot. As an extern, all they could say is that you did good shadowing them. You aren't allowed really any meaningful patient interactions as an extern.

Reactions: 1 users
research won't help, unless you are a star with a PhD.
you will need a visa
your chances are poor, but not zero.

Reactions: 1 user
Since when did a 240 on Step 1 become "blowing it" ?

Since I think I was capable of doing much better. And it is only slightly above average and I am an IMG. I'm not saying 240 is a low score in general. All I'm saying is that I underperformed big time.

An externship won't count for much. Actual clinic rotations mean much, much more. Getting some letters from US surgeons will go far in getting you a chance for a spot. As an extern, all they could say is that you did good shadowing them. You aren't allowed really any meaningful patient interactions as an extern.

Thank you for your insight! I will definitely try to get some clinical rotations done!

research won't help, unless you are a star with a PhD.
you will need a visa
your chances are poor, but not zero.

Ok, so in terms of application, research efforts are pretty much worthless, correct?
Yes, I know I will need a visa, what I meant was - I won't need the program to sponsor my visa.
Would a killer CK score change anything? I mean, I know that getting 250 on CK is probably better than getting 220. But, theoretically if I got 270+ would programs give my application a second look? What about step 3?

Do you have any ideas on how I can improve my chances of matching?

Since I think I was capable of doing much better. And it is only slightly above average and I am an IMG. I'm not saying 240 is a low score in general. All I'm saying is that I underperformed big time.

Yes, I know I will need a visa, what I meant was - I won't need the program to sponsor my visa.

Who are you planning on having sponsor the visa? ECFMG sponsors J1s and programs have to sponsor you for H1B.

where in Europe are you now? why not stay there?