MD Do I have a Chance? , URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PandaHero

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to SDN, and I was wondering where I stand in my application and how competitive I am? Is there anything I need improve or work on before I apply this summer? I don't have an MCAT yet, but I intend to take it in May or June.

Here are my stats:
I'm a black female, and first generation American. Both of my parents were born in Jamaica.
I go to a local university that I have been going to full-time since I was a junior in HS as part of a dual enrollment program that allowed students to start college early.
FL Resident
Majors: Biology and Chemistry Minors: Math and Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54 (This includes taking 21-24 credits every semester for last two years)
Work Experience:
SWFL Sustainability Intern at Visaggio and Co.: ~1 year
·Research information on environmental issues taking place in Ft. Myers and write papers on them
Life Sciences Intern at Clinical and Translational Genomic Research Institute (Over the summer)
· Researched information on psychological disorders, launched program to inform workers in healthcare about pharmogenomics
Peer Mentor: Helping high school students (that are part of the dual enrollment program I'm in) transition more smoothly to college ~1 year
Tutor for General Chemistry I: ~2 years
TA for Gen Chem I: ~1 semester

Research Experiences/ Projects
· Runway Program— Member of program that allows student entrepreneurs to work on a business idea and present it to investors for funding (Basically I'm creating a product and a business plan for it) ~ 1 semester
· Entrepreneurship—Helped found and develop business called DoorAdd
Microbiology—Determining whether bacteria found on local beaches have anti-biotic resistant genes and integrons. Poster presentation will happen in April ~0.5 years
Forensic Chemistry—Determining most discriminatory method of detecting possible adulterants in saffron. Will be presenting poster later in Feb, hopefully pubs soon~ 1.5 years
Astronomy & Astrophysics—Detecting exoplanets in contribution to the K2 mission with NASA (Basically I am discovering planets). Currently being paid to continue this research. Research was presented at national conference. ~2 years
Miles of Smiles—Developed plan to raise money and increase awareness for organization that offers free treatment to soldiers with PTSD ~1 semester

Volunteering Experience

Lion Eye Care Clinic—Help screen children in underpriviledged neighborhoods for sight and hearing problems ~5 hrs (hopefully will work with them more throughout this semester)
Volunteered in hospital in Comprehensive Patient Care Unit, Emergency Dept., and Heart Central ~125 hrs
Global Medical Brigades—Take blood pressure and inform people about health in underprivileged neighborhoods ~20 hours
Volunteered at a local middle school~ 20 hours
Leadership Activities
Member of school's student-based journal editorial board ~ 1 year
Writer for honors program newsletter ~ 1 year
Member of school's symphonic band as clarinetist ~2years
E-Board Member for campus organization ~ 2 years
Member of Business and Entrepreneurship Club ~ 1.5 years
Member of school's Multicultural Ambassador Program~ 1 semester
Currently in process of being interviewed for school's senate
Nominated by school for Goldwater Scholarship

I'm afraid my GPA is a bit low, though, but I'm working on getting it up this semester. And my ECs are kind of scattered and all over the place. How are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything looks good. Your GPA is fine. We just need your MCAT score to really determine your chances. Assuming you get at least a 505, you'll be set! Especially as an URM, you're decently competitive with these stats.

Your EC's exceed the maximum amount that AMCAS allows (unless you group them)

Anyways, I hope most of your EC's weren't half assed. If you can't provide much substance to any of your EC's, you might not be taken seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really skeptical about your ECs... seems way overblown. I don't know how you can take 21-24 credits a semester for the past 2 years and have time for any of that. Most people can barely handle rigorous classes, work, research, and 1-2 more ECs TOPS. Not all of this.

edit: Just saw that you started as a junior in highschool, which gives you an extra 2 years of ECs I guess..

I'm really skeptical about your ECs... seems way overblown. I don't know how you can take 21-24 credits a semester for the past 2 years and have time for any of that. Most people can barely handle rigorous classes, work, research, and 1-2 more ECs TOPS. Not all of this.

edit: Just saw that you started as a junior in highschool, which gives you an extra 2 years of ECs I guess..

No, I didn't get two more years. I started as 4 years ago as a 16 year old freshman (junior in HS) and now I'm a 19 year old college senior with over 120 credits. I got so much done in these four years by hard work and dedication. I'm usually on campus the whole day, for 12+ hours, so although it involved a lot of work, I was able to build up my ECs to makeup for my low GPA. And there's the fact that I don't really study (which is bad, I know!). So yes, it's possible to do all of this, just with good time management skills and dedication. Do you really think that Adcoms won't believe I did all this work when I apply? Should I take out some things when I submit my app?

Last edited:
No, I didn't get two more years. I started as 4 years ago as a 16 year old freshman (junior in HS) and now I'm a 19 year old college senior with over 120 credits. I got so much done in these four years by hard work and dedication. I'm usually on campus the whole day, for 12+ hours, so although it involved a lot of work, I was able to build up my ECs to makeup for my low GPA. And there's the fact that I don't really study (which is bad, I know!). So yes, it's possible to do all of this, just with good time management skills and dedication. Do you really think that Adcoms won't believe I did all this work when I apply? Should I take out some things when I submit my app?

Well its a lot better to have too many ECs than not enough. When you have almost double the amount of EC's as the typical applicant its going to be questionable, especially if you are calling 8 of them leadership activities, (what does being member of club x, y, z actually entail?) But yeah you only have 15 slots to put in so you can just load up your most involved activities anyway. Its not going to matter.