Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnysunsun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm very concerned with my chances for medical school because of a very low gpa ~3.04.

I've had 2 pretty bad semesters where productivity was at a standstill for me ( at that time, gpa fell from 3.7 to 2.5). Eventually, I snapped out of it and started to get to work. I'm a philosophy and physics major with a biology minor, and I only have 2 semesters of undergraduate school left so I'll be able to raise my gpa just a tad bit more.

-I'm in training as an advanced emt right now. I plan to do paramedic training next year. I intend to work as a paramedic for a while.
-I will have 2 years of research done. I will be published as a second author for one of the research next year.
-I am about to start shadowing in a surgery department. I plan to rack up at least 200 hours.
-I'm good with extra curricular activities (have held leadership positions).

-I will be taking the MCAT early next year.

However, if I am able to make a pretty decent score on the MCAT, what are my chances of getting into med school like?

Guys, I honestly don't know what else I can do with the exception of taking some post-bac classes. I'm not sure about SMPs anymore either since I don't want to move from atl if I get a job here. Someone, please give me some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you raise your GPA to 3.2 and score at least 500 on the MCAT you could receive interviews at some of the DO schools. MD is unlikely unless you score over 510 on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

So should I retake the pre med courses? Those are the classes that I currently have problems with. I got a B in orgo 1 and a C- in orgo 2. I just retook orgo 2 and ended up with a C. I understand the material in it, but I don't know what happens to me during those exams. I will be taking biochem in the fall.

However, for post-bac, would it be better to take some higher level science classes or redo the orgo 2 class? My adviser said to not retake it since it was already my 2nd time retaking it.

What part of "retake all F/D/C science courses" is too difficult to understand?

You want to show that you can handle Anatomy or Physiology, not that you have mastered Orgo II.

So should I retake the pre med courses? Those are the classes that I currently have problems with. I got a B in orgo 1 and a C- in orgo 2. I just retook orgo 2 and ended up with a C. I understand the material in it, but I don't know what happens to me during those exams. I will be taking biochem in the fall.

However, for post-bac, would it be better to take some higher level science classes or redo the orgo 2 class? My adviser said to not retake it since it was already my 2nd time retaking it.

Reactions: 1 user

You want to show that you can handle Anatomy or Physiology, not that you have mastered Orgo II.
OP also needs to realize anything under a C will not count towards requirements for medical school regardless of whether or not the undergrad considers it passing. C- is a failing grade. Retake all failing grades and receive grade replacement for DO. As for AMCAS, these will still count, and could affect the GPA negatively if significant changes are not made.

It's hard to tell, but my advice would be to get the grades up A LOT and then make sure to take time for the MCAT. I would not rush an application next year if these things are not inline because it will only lead to wasted money. FYI most schools automatically screen out GPAs below 3.2, and you won't get a secondary app if its below that.

Reactions: 1 user

OP also needs to realize anything under a C will not count towards requirements for medical school regardless of whether or not the undergrad considers it passing. C- is a failing grade. Retake all failing grades and receive grade replacement for DO. As for AMCAS, these will still count, and could affect the GPA negatively if significant changes are not made.

It's hard to tell, but my advice would be to get the grades up A LOT and then make sure to take time for the MCAT. I would not rush an application next year if these things are not inline because it will only lead to wasted money. FYI most schools automatically screen out GPAs below 3.2, and you won't get a secondary app if its below that.