do i have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red dot

burning, burning
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering whether or not you thought I ought to apply this semester. I completeley bombed my first two years of college (F and everything) but I've been working my ass off ever since. Now I'm a senior and my gpa is just barely over a 3.3. I'm currently studying for the MCAT and i think i'm about a 30 -- I still have a month and a half to try to bump it up another notch or two. Do you think i have a chance? Should I apply this summer? I'm not doing a post-bacc or anything -- i was planning to just hang out and take some upper divs at SFstate or at a city college or something. Should I apply for a post-bacc instead, but wouldn't that look bad because i'd be doing it late?
<3 June

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmm.... hard to say. i'm no expert, but i think you're certainly not out of the running, however a 3.3 will probably make it a bit difficult... depending on what schools you're applying to, of course. my BCPM is a 3.3 and my cumulative is a 3.6 and i just got into one school. if you are shooting for a top tier, you should probably take the time to do post bac and bump your gpa up a bit, but if you're happy with any medical school, you could just go for it. make sure you take the april mcat though, because the august mcat will put you at even more of a disadvantage!

myodana said:
hmmmm.... hard to say. i'm no expert, but i think you're certainly not out of the running, however a 3.3 will probably make it a bit difficult... depending on what schools you're applying to, of course. my BCPM is a 3.3 and my cumulative is a 3.6 and i just got into one school. if you are shooting for a top tier, you should probably take the time to do post bac and bump your gpa up a bit, but if you're happy with any medical school, you could just go for it. make sure you take the april mcat though, because the august mcat will put you at even more of a disadvantage!

thanks for the feedback! well after my sophomore year i figured i was out of the running. but now my cumulative and science are both about 3.3 if you don't count my pass/not pass classes. (i was hoping med schools could see that i had been improving). i know top tier is wayyyy out for me... i just want to get into a decent one where a good residency isn't out of reach. i was worried that because i'm devoting so much time and energy into studying for the mcat that i wouldn't be applying to post-baccs til after, and it'd be too late by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think you need to do a post-bacc if you plan on taking some extra upper lvl BCPM classes....hopefully you do well and improve upon your GPA...as far as your MCAT score, get into the 29-30 range and I think you'll be a competitive applicant for most middle-tier schools...good luck with everything! :luck:

The fact that you were able to bring your GPA up to a 3.3 from where you were two years ago is pretty impressive, I think that combined with a good MCAT score should give you a decent shot.