do i have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bean

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to know your honest opinion if I have a chance to get in. First of all, I REALLY want to become a doctor. I cannot imagine myself doing anything else, it is my passion, my dream, my goal, etc.
I guess I need to tell you more about myself. Well I graduated with BS in Biology (finished in four years) with GPA 3.1. My GPA is not great, it was due to my first year of college. I did not perform well at all. But the next three years was much better. My grades were improving and at the same time I was doing various communiy volunteer work, held executive roles in multiple clubs/organizations and held two part time jobs. Also, I was part of an undergraduate research project. I feel I was succesful in college, but my first year GPA is still hurting me. After undergrad, I enrolled in a master program and two years later received a MPH in Epidemiology. During this time, I was involved in community service, held a part-time job and at the same time doing my master's project. I finished my master with 3.5 GPA. Right after graduating from my masters, I started working as a Research Analyst for one of the major Health Care Organization in the country. It is a kind of job where I am utilizing my master's degree. Overall, I believe I am a well-rounded applicant. But my downfall is my MCAT scores, the highest I ever got is 21. I have taken the test 3 times since 1995. I know some of you are probably saying "give it up". But I want to become a doctor, and I feel that I need to take the MCAT again. I'm lost whether I should or not. What do you guys think I should, and do I have a chance to get in?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Bean,

I don't see your first year of undergrad as being a problem at this point. As far as I'm concerned your academic credentials are in good shape for an osteopathic medical school. 21 isn't THAT bad. If you can get yourself 3 more points It'll bring your average to an 8 and there *ARE* schools in the U.S. with an 8 for an average MCAT.

My suggestion would be to take the MCAT this April. Prep courses are expensive, but I hear they work. Put time into it and I think you'll be able to get the couple points you need.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't think you should give up over an MCAT score.

YFZ

I think your MCAT runs a little low. Your master GPA doesn't match up with your MCAT score. Tough!!
Frankly pal, your chances are slim.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am all for *keeping at it*. STudy like crazy and retake the MCAT. Remeber schools look for GPA improvement. So you increase over the years is good. What is your GPA in the pre-req sciences?

Bean,
I am a fourth year medical student. Although your MCAT scores are low your Postgrad grades are decent. You should apply to whatever schools you want to including Osteopathic. At the same time plan on taking the MCAT again. If you increase your scores to at least 24 you should have no trouble getting in. How are your study habbits? There are several books out their that have just questions with explanations. This is an excellent way to study especially for people who seem to have a hard time with standardized tests.
I had a friend who applied to schools three times before getting in. He took the MCAT at least three times. You need to dedicate a period of time to improving your scores and then you have a good shot.

Good luck

Kent

Bean,

You have a unique life experience and it'd help you a lot in your application. If I was you, I'd focus more on DO schools. DO schools tend to accept students with life experience like you. I applied to a few MD schools, but no luck. I was accepted to a few DO schools this year and I also took MCAT 3 times. My highest scores was 23 (my undergrad GPA is 3.5). I have a few friends who got into DO schools with MCAT of 21-25 and GPA of 3.2-3.3. The key is applying early. You definitely have a good chance. Good luck!

The key is to apply early and make sure you have a good letter of recommendation from a DO, and try to talk to shadow DOs.

I have two 24 MCATS a 3.7 GPA, have been working in the medical field for 8 years doing everything from military medicine, research, and pathology, I had 10 doctors writing me letters of recomendations and still I have no acceptance letter. I feel that my MCAT is the problem but most schools still will not look past that (granted that all the regection letters to date were from MD programs). I wish you luck but my 7 in physical sciences is keeping me out.

[This message has been edited by fmfcorpsman (edited 03-06-2000).]

fmfcorpsman,

Did you apply to DO schools? If yes, when did you apply? I'm very surprised that you can't get into any DO schools with that credentials.

TQL,
I have applied to two DO schools (in january) and have not recieved an interview yet, I have spoken to admission people at both schools and they said that I would be competitive. The reason that I waited so long was that I didn't know anything about the DO profession. I still don't know alot about it, but these posts and other internet sites are helping me out. We'll see how everything goes.

fmfcorpsman,

I think the reason is that you apply late for DO schools. Most of them started the interview process in October. If you'd apply earlier (June-August), I'm sure you'll get in DO schools. But the game is not over and I hope you'll get in this year. Good luck! If you'd like to talk more about it, just send me an email.

Thanks you very much for all your suggestions and encouragement. I need all the help I can get.
I did apply to DO schools this year, but I was late when I turned in my application. It was complete by January. I have not heard anything from any of the four schools I applied to. Do you think it's too late by now?
I am planning to retake the MCAT, but not till August. April is too soon. I think my biggest problem about the MCAT is I do poorly in standardized test, multiple choice is my weaknest. Just my luck!!! I am also planning to reapply again for next year and turn in my applications early.
Thanks again,
Bean

Keep it up Bean! If you really want to be a Doctor just plan on applying as many times as it takes. Some people start as late as their 40's, so your still in good shape. I had to take the MCAT four times and I finally got in this year. Persistance will pay off. good luck!

fmfcorpsman,

Your gpa and mcat will get you a slot in an osteopathic program for sure, especially with the service experience. If they dont call you this year then reapply this coming JUNE and apply to more programs. Most MD programs will turn their noses up to your mcats, regardless of life experiences.

Bean,

you gotta get that mcat up somehow to at least a 24 or they will just continue to shun you like the plague. its a bummer, but its the real deal bro.

best of luck,

8404 (sound familiar corpsman??)

yes it does 8404, what unit were you with, I was at pendleton 3rd bn 1st Mar. with the grunts.

spent 88-92 floating around east coast and overseas as 0000, then went to lejeune for 8404, got out and went to college while drilling with 4th ANGLICO in reserves. made the decision to give it all up to concentrate on school(smart choice), and now I am in DO school on HPSP and very happy.