Jul 15, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
:rolleyes:

i went to two different schools for undergrad,
at the first school i did horribly (left with a 2.96 gpa)
graduated the second school a year later with a 3.87 gpa
finished up a post-bacc at the same school in may with a 3.83 gpa
i have one F on my transcript from not withdrawing in time...it was from my first school
i am taking the mcat in aug, and my aamc tests are between 32 and 35 so far.
my ec's are few, but i have done a clincial internship at a hospital ER, i volunteered for over 300 hours, and i've worked for kaplan and as a tech at a doctor's office for the past two years.

what do you guys think?

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Assuming the same courseload each year, I come up with a cumulative GPA of 3.31. Is that about right?

If so, with an MCAT score of 34+, you might have a chance at allo med schools, especially with the upward grade trend. If the score is lower, you could consider an SMP (Special Masters Program) to further redeem the low GPA.

With a lower MCAT score you'd also become a good candiate for some DO med schools, say 27+. With their application service only the most recent grade from repeats is included, so your cGPA could get higher that way.

Your ECs are another issue, and of course there are certain minimum expectations for clinical experience (you're good there) and shadowing, not to mention community service. Other good things to have are research, leadership, and teaching (Kaplan is great).

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Assuming the same courseload each year, I come up with a cumulative GPA of 3.31. Is that about right?

If so, with an MCAT score of 34+, you might have a chance at allo med schools, especially with the upward grade trend. If the score is lower, you could consider an SMP (Special Masters Program) to further redeem the low GPA.

With a lower MCAT score you'd also become a good candiate for some DO med schools, say 27+. With their application service only the most recent grade from repeats is included, so your cGPA could get higher that way.

Your ECs are another issue, and of course there are certain minimum expectations for clinical experience (you're good there) and shadowing, not to mention community service. Other good things to have are research, leadership, and teaching (Kaplan is great).
Post #1,111 !! :luck: for you OP!

You really wanna get shadowing in.

MCAT of 34+ (with the presumed 3.3 GPA) gives you a shot at your state schools (unless you are from CA, TX, or MA), as well as the 'low' tier schools in NY, PA, and Chicago. Also, Tulane. But note it will still be difficult.

I would definitely look into an SMP in the mean time. A strong performance (3.5+) with a 32-34 MCAT will really make you a great candidate throughout the 'low' tier, and at some 'mid' tier as well.