Kphrogg

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Washington State
Status
Medical Student
I'm a 34 year old career-changer. Total undergraduate GPA is 3.2 from a Top 10 private institution. Final two years were about 3.9. Undergraduate science GPA is 3.1. MCAT (this year) is 34P. I have a law degree magna cum laude from a top law school.

Do I have any chance of getting into medical school with my current numbers? I am contemplating an SMP, but from reading what people have to say about them, they seem like a last resort option. What would be the best route to follow?

Oct 21, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Status
Medical Student
Apply early and broadly in June for Fall 2012 admissions. It's probably too late to bother with the current cycle.

The upward undergrad grade trend and law degree should definitely help, although a 3.2 might be under the cutoff for some schools. Medical schools really care about the undergrad GPA, and view additional degrees like very strong extracurricular experiences.

Make sure your shadowing and clinical volunteering are in order by the time you apply. With a 34 MCAT, I think you will find your way to an acceptance.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
You can extrapolate your chances with a 3.2/34 from this AAMC grid for outcomes of past applicants with similar numbers: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf I see it as about a 37% chance.

These stats include those who completed an SMP. Without an SMP, your best shot would probably be at a forgiving state school, if you have one, and would be enhanced with recent excellent science grades, including upper-level Biology classes. Have you taken recent coursework, and if so, how many credits and with what GPA? Nice job on the MCAT, BTW.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm a 34 year old career-changer. Total undergraduate GPA is 3.2 from a Top 10 private institution. Final two years were about 3.9. Undergraduate science GPA is 3.1. MCAT (this year) is 34P. I have a law degree magna cum laude from a top law school.

Do I have any chance of getting into medical school with my current numbers? I am contemplating an SMP, but from reading what people have to say about them, they seem like a last resort option. What would be the best route to follow?
DO school is your best bet right now, and a 28+ MCAT would give you a decent shot without spending your money and time doing a SMP.

OP
Kphrogg

Kphrogg

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Washington State
Status
Medical Student
You can extrapolate your chances with a 3.2/34 from this AAMC grid for outcomes of past applicants with similar numbers: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf I see it as about a 37% chance.

These stats include those who completed an SMP. Without an SMP, your best shot would probably be at a forgiving state school, if you have one, and would be enhanced with recent excellent science grades, including upper-level Biology classes. Have you taken recent coursework, and if so, how many credits and with what GPA? Nice job on the MCAT, BTW.
My most recent science coursework was about four years ago. They were all 200-level and above. GPA was 4.0. Do you think it would be advisable to take an SMP while going through the next application cycle in order to keep my science knowledge up to date?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
How many credits in science have you taken since you graduated to make up that 4.0 you cited? Did you include all newer coursework in your undergrad GPA like AMCAS will? If you didn't already do that, what is your BCPM bumped up to?

Some med school expire the prerequisites. I've seen feedback from med schools that having zero academics in the last two years was their excuse for a rejection. Even SMPs would like to see evidence from high grades in upper-level Bio classes (like Biochem, Physiology, Genetics, Cell Bio, etc) that you have the potential to excel in their program. Did you take any classes like that?

What is your state of residence? Would the high cost of an SMP be prohibitive for you?