Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspire2BMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a math/science GPA of about 3.1 and cumulative 3.37 from undergrad. I had a pituitary tumor and Cushing's Disease and didn't' find out until a couple years later while doing MS in Nutrition. Had quit the premed track because I was doing so badly in college and opted for something in Nutrition. After finding out about the Cushing's, I wanted to give premed another shot because it had clearly affected me for years and medicine is what I really have always wanted and still badly want to do.

I have retaken Organic Chemistry (got a C the first time in Orgo 1 lecture and A- for lab, never went on to Orgo 2), but still got only a B+ at Harvard for the entire year's worth. I have also taken some other science classes throughout my nutrition program and have gotten A's--but I also got a B- in physiology in this time (this was also at the height of my sickness). Do I have any shot of getting into an MD program? And would it be helpful if I retook all the premed requirements rather than upper division classes to boost my GPA, or would that be frowned upon?

Another scenario: what if I waited five or so years, went to a "career changer" postbacc--would this allow me to "start fresh?"

My cumulative GPA is 3.72 in my Masters program at Tufts (possibly a bit higher after the past spring semester)

note: have not taken MCAT and know I need to do extremely well in order for my application to even be reviewed with my GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends in your mcat. If you get a <30, it is going to be really really tough with your low gpa. 30-33, you might have some luck at your state schools. >34 you may have some luck at less selective schools. You gpa is way low for md so everything hinges on your mcat. The MS is barely going to help, if at all.

Good day.....Am considering going into medicine, Am 26 yrs of age, however am not in standing with the requirements to get into Pre-Med school. What are my chances of getting into it and would doing a Associate Degree in Natural Sciences help or not?

Hello. I have a math/science GPA of about 3.1 and cumulative 3.37 from undergrad. I had a pituitary tumor and Cushing's Disease and didn't' find out until a couple years later while doing MS in Nutrition. Had quit the premed track because I was doing so badly in college and opted for something in Nutrition. After finding out about the Cushing's, I wanted to give premed another shot because it had clearly affected me for years and medicine is what I really have always wanted and still badly want to do.

I have retaken Organic Chemistry (got a C the first time in Orgo 1 lecture and A- for lab, never went on to Orgo 2), but still got only a B+ at Harvard for the entire year's worth. I have also taken some other science classes throughout my nutrition program and have gotten A's--but I also got a B- in physiology in this time (this was also at the height of my sickness). Do I have any shot of getting into an MD program? And would it be helpful if I retook all the premed requirements rather than upper division classes to boost my GPA, or would that be frowned upon?

Another scenario: what if I waited five or so years, went to a "career changer" postbacc--would this allow me to "start fresh?"

My cumulative GPA is 3.72 in my Masters program at Tufts (possibly a bit higher after the past spring semester)

note: have not taken MCAT and know I need to do extremely well in order for my application to even be reviewed with my GPA
Like herpes, your undergraduate gpa is forever.