do i have a decent shot at pcom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do i have a decent shot at pcom?

im going to be a senior right now, im a biochem major (w/chem minor), from NY State

my stats so far are 3.08 cum (as for sci--i dunno), mcat (1st time) 24M 8ps, 6v, 10bs; (2nd time) 25M 8ps, 8v, 9 bs...probably going to take the test again in august

i really want to go to pcom, but i dont know if i have a decent shot

my low gpa is primarily due to the really bad fall semester i had, my aunt got diagnosed with cancer that semester...im retaking the class that i did horrible in this year

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I dont know if you have a shot but the worst you can do is try. I am pretty much in the same boat you are in except I already graduated so I cant retake any classes. My GPA is 3.04 with a 2.83science and I had a 25 then 24 MCAT. I have some awesome extracurriculars though so I am hoping that saves me.

The only thing I can tell you is the advice I recieved from a bunch of people. You will never know if you can get in unless you try. Osteopathic schools really do look at the entire candidate moreso than allopathic, at least I hope so and have been told so. So your best option is to just send in the application and hope for the best. If you really want to go to PCOM, for the right reasons and not because you dont have the grades to get into a MD school, then do your best to do what you can to get in. Good luck and hope to see you at interviews some day.

My stats were slightly better, and I am completing my Ph.D. I didn't get invited to PCOM. They do prefer applicants from in-state so if you are, you have a better chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do prefer applicants from in-state so if you are, you have a better chance.

so is that it, do i not have a good shot at all because im out-of-state?

ComicBookHero20 said:

I couldn't really tell you what your chances are. You have to apply and find out. I know from my experience they prefered PA residents. Next on the priority seemed to be people on the east coast. My guess is they want someone that will stay in the area for practice.

In the little booklet given to us at the PCOM interviews, it clearly stated that each applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.3 and 8 in each section of the MCAT. How often they stick to this is anyone's guess, as I'm sure people have been admitted with numbers below these.

JKDMed said:
In the little booklet given to us at the PCOM interviews, it clearly stated that each applicant must have a minimum GPA of 3.3 and 8 in each section of the MCAT. How often they stick to this is anyone's guess, as I'm sure people have been admitted with numbers below these.

That explains why I didn't get in. One of my MCAT section was below 8.

i have the minimum mcat requirement met, does that help me at all?

JKDMed said:

Well...I had less than 8 on one of my MCAT sections and still got in.

ComicBookHero20 said:
i have the minimum mcat requirement met, does that help me at all?
YOu might as well apply, but you have a very uphill battle. I had a much lower GPA then you, but a much better MCAT. Anything is possible though

What do your extracurriculars/clinical experiences look like?

Your stats as an out-of-stater are low for PCOM, which will of course hurt you. But if the rest of your app is stellar they will probably be more forgiving. I think the minimum stats are more guidelines than hard cutoffs, but if you fall below the line you will have to really impress them with the rest of your application.

ComicBookHero20 said:

I dont know about you guys, but I think it is kinda crappy that there are so few D.O. schools compared to MD schools and there is all this preference to in-state applicants. It puts a lot of people at a disadvantage. I can understand if they were state funded with contracts and such but gosh, what about us who don't have a state D.O. school? I just dont like it.