Do I have a decent shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time viewer, first time poster.

Here are my stats:

I'm a senior, currently with a 3.5 overall GPA, and serving as an officer in my school's health science society.

I am married with a 6-month old, and a former Navy Corpsman (medic). I have about 3.5 solid years of direct patient care, working under the licence of a Navy MD. I am also a registered member of the Navajo tribe.

Academically, I could be better off. I have a C in organic chem 2 and also a C in physics 1. I have a D in calc 1 but retook and got a B. I calculate my science GPA at about 3.2. With DO grade replacement, it bumps up to a 3.4.

I have not taken the MCAT yet - having the baby took every ounce of spare time that I have.

After I graduate this fall my wife and I will be doing a year long volunteering gig on a reservation, and during that time I plan to study for and take the MCAT.

I plan to apply to both DO schools and also programs like INMED at South Dakota. However, I'm really fretting that my science GPA is going to keep me from even getting an interview.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my stats:

I'm a senior, currently with a 3.5 overall GPA, and serving as an officer in my school's health science society.

I am married with a 6-month old, and a former Navy Corpsman (medic). I have about 3.5 solid years of direct patient care, working under the licence of a Navy MD. I am also a registered member of the Navajo tribe.

Academically, I could be better off. I have a C in organic chem 2 and also a C in physics 1. I have a D in calc 1 but retook and got a B. I calculate my science GPA at about 3.2. With DO grade replacement, it bumps up to a 3.4.

I have not taken the MCAT yet - having the baby took every ounce of spare time that I have.

After I graduate this fall my wife and I will be doing a year long volunteering gig on a reservation, and during that time I plan to study for and take the MCAT.

I plan to apply to both DO schools and also programs like INMED at South Dakota. However, I'm really fretting that my science GPA is going to keep me from even getting an interview.

I think you'll be fine for DO med schools.

For a better shot at MD, a high grade in Biochem would redeem your C in OChem II. Presumably, you did better in Physics II already. Some As in upper-level Bio classes like those offered in med school (Genetics, Cell Bio, Physiology, Immunology, Virology, are examples) would demonstrate your capability with relevant coursework, as well as establish a strong upward grade trend, which adcomms will be looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, many thanks for your service to your country. Veteran and URM status will get you noticed.

I'm a senior, currently with a 3.5 overall GPA, and serving as an officer in my school's health science society. I am married with a 6-month old, and a former Navy Corpsman (medic). I have about 3.5 solid years of direct patient care, working under the licence of a Navy MD. I am also a registered member of the Navajo tribe.

Despite the low sGPA, I think your chances at many MD schools are excellent. Ditto for ALL DO schools.

Just score in the high 20s, and you'll be fine. But aim for 30+

Sounds like a plan. Congrats on the baby! Start planning for college now; they grow up fast.

Are you a SD native? I think you're fine for all state schools in the mid-mountain west. And you will get plenty of interviews.

Are you a SD native?

No...no ties with the Dakotas; my applying to ND would be specifically via INMED as a Navajo.

Presumably, you did better in Physics II already. Some As in upper-level Bio classes like those offered in med school (Genetics, Cell Bio, Physiology, Immunology, Virology, are examples) would demonstrate your capability with relevant coursework...

I'm currently in physics 2 - the series is all during this summer, which is why I earned a C for phy 1. It moves very quickly and I have a poor foundation in fundamental algebra prior to the military.

I can't take biochem unless I stay anther semester, which I cannot afford. I might be able to squeeze in an upper-level transfer course at the local community college during the fall.

Here are my stats:

You have an excellent shot. As part of your MCAT prep, though, brush up your math skills. It'll be important for the physical sciences section. You will want to try and get at least an 8 in every section.

You have a lot going for you, though, so don't let yourself get discouraged. Good luck!