Do I have a good chance at acceptance in the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justinowen223

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So first, I wanted to give a little background on my story. I started in the military, not knowing where I was headed or what I was doing with my life, but I have found medicine an absolute passion. I served my four years and attended a local university in which the first two semesters I did pretty well with around a 3.9 GPA; at the same time, I was attending an EMT course and was able to get to the top of my class having a full course load. I also applied to transfer to an exceptional school and got accepted and did just that. Then COVID hit, and I was working full time as an EMT and doing school during the summer, and I thought I would quit, and I did with my summer courses; I stopped attending them and stupidly did not withdraw and got Fs in two separate classes. I then decided to quit my EMT job as I would focus on school, then my mental health hit extremely hard, and I could not get out of bed to do even the most mundane tasks. I then suddenly got motivated again due to getting the necessary treatment, and I am exceptionally now, but this last semester I received a C- and the rest Bs. I started applying for a great deal of stuff for the following semester, and am now in an executive position within a fraternity; I volunteer to tutor children of frontline workers, I am in MEDLIFE, I set up a study group for the MCAT for people across the country and began setting up the entire schedule and making worksheets and such to cover all the material. I got accepted into a physician shadowing program in Africa for 3 months. I also plan to apply for research positions as well. If I could receive excellent grades from this point forward and receive a good MCAT score, my goal being a 518 or 520, would I have a good chance at getting accepted into an MD program? Could I improve anything to help my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

So what's your GPA now? An upward trend is highly favorable and depending on what those F's are in, you may need to consider retaking those courses.

Research isn't always necessary but I highly recommend getting involved in some form of research as early as possible. Aside from that, you have some promising extracurriculars as of right now.

You can have whatever MCAT goal you want but it means absolutely nothing right now. Everyone aspires to that score but very, very few achieve it (hence, 90th+ percentile). As @Goro says, no prediction can be made without an MCAT score. Crush your classes from here on out, kill the MCAT, and then we can talk chances. It's important to know that 60% of applicants are rejected from medical school, so having a "good chance" really just becomes "a chance."

Reactions: 1 user
So what's your GPA now? An upward trend is highly favorable and depending on what those F's are in, you may need to consider retaking those courses.

Research isn't always necessary but I highly recommend getting involved in some form of research as early as possible. Aside from that, you have some promising extracurriculars as of right now.

You can have whatever MCAT goal you want but it means absolutely nothing right now. Everyone aspires to that score but very, very few achieve it (hence, 90th+ percentile). As @Goro says, no prediction can be made without an MCAT score. Crush your classes from here on out, kill the MCAT, and then we can talk chances. It's important to know that 60% of applicants are rejected from medical school, so having a "good chance" really just becomes "a chance."
My GPA is around 3.1 now, and I thought 518 was reasonable, I have taken diagnostics in which I received a 500 without taking Gen Chem 2 Bio 2 Any Orgo or Physics, and I am sure it should improve by then with a 128 CARS and a 126 Behavioral Sciences

Hello everyone!
So first, I wanted to give a little background on my story. I started in the military, not knowing where I was headed or what I was doing with my life, but I have found medicine an absolute passion. I served my four years and attended a local university in which the first two semesters I did pretty well with around a 3.9 GPA; at the same time, I was attending an EMT course and was able to get to the top of my class having a full course load. I also applied to transfer to an exceptional school and got accepted and did just that. Then COVID hit, and I was working full time as an EMT and doing school during the summer, and I thought I would quit, and I did with my summer courses; I stopped attending them and stupidly did not withdraw and got Fs in two separate classes. I then decided to quit my EMT job as I would focus on school, then my mental health hit extremely hard, and I could not get out of bed to do even the most mundane tasks. I then suddenly got motivated again due to getting the necessary treatment, and I am exceptionally now, but this last semester I received a C- and the rest Bs. I started applying for a great deal of stuff for the following semester, and am now in an executive position within a fraternity; I volunteer to tutor children of frontline workers, I am in MEDLIFE, I set up a study group for the MCAT for people across the country and began setting up the entire schedule and making worksheets and such to cover all the material. I got accepted into a physician shadowing program in Africa for 3 months. I also plan to apply for research positions as well. If I could receive excellent grades from this point forward and receive a good MCAT score, my goal being a 518 or 520, would I have a good chance at getting accepted into an MD program? Could I improve anything to help my chances?
Getting accepted is 100% on you.

Without an MCAT score, we can't even comment on your chances at getting IIs.

Everyone thinks that they're going to score 518+ on the MCAT. The median MCAT score is 500. While doing well on practice exams is all well and good, it's batting practice, not a major league game.

You're going to need to do some serious GPA repair. But first, make sure that your mental health issues are 100% under control, as med school is a furnace.

See if your school can allow to take retroactive Ws for the Fs. Some schools do.

And read this:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users