Do I have a good chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just wondering if I've got a good chance at getting in.
I've got a 3.75 gpa from a top 25 school (UCLA) and my mcat score was 7v, 10p, and 11b.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good chance to get into any medical school. If you have other things in your application that shines in the ADCOMs direction then that is good. But like everybody says...apply to a wide range of schools. Show the ADCOMs that you are a wonderful person behind the numbers. I wish you the best of luck, may I ask what year you are?

Depends where you want to go. I would suggest applying to a wide range of schools. Also, if you are a minority, it will definitely help you to get into CA schools. UCLA gets alot of respect, so that will help you as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you do not have a "good" chance... maybe ~a~ chance, but not a good one. I would suggest retaking the MCAT.... good luck.

I have to agree with relatively prime. You need to retake the MCAT. Your overall score is not too bad, but the 7 in verbal is going to hurt your chances of getting in.

That said, prepare for the August test and work on your apps so you're ready to go for this application cycle.!

Good luck!

you have a good chance, dont listen to people who tell you otherwise. the 7 in verbal isnt helping a whole lot, but it wont keep you out. there are more people getting in with 7s in verbal than not. i mean, obviously use some good judgement and apply to a wide range of schools. some higher ranked as well as a few lower tier ones. but all in all, your chances are pretty good. you should get in. good luck! :D

i'm not worried, i've read posts of people and I know people who have gotten in with a 7 and who were not urms!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bruinkid:
•i'm not worried, i've read posts of people and I know people who have gotten in with a 7 and who were not urms!•••••If you're not worried, why did you post the question? :wink: Seriously, everyone who applies should be a little worried. This is a very grueling, and sometimes random, process. I wish you the best of luck, but I'd have to say that, based solely on your MCAT, your chances are not good, but slightly below average. But then, the process is not all about an MCAT score. What's the rest of your app like? EC's, LOR's, essays and interview skills will play a large role in deciding your fate. Best of luck to you! :)

I'm pissing in my pants already! This year is going to be bad... unless it turns out to be good! :p crossing my fingers

I hate to be negative, but a 7 in verbal is going to hurt you, a lot. Unfortunately schools look at verbal more then the other sections on the MCAT, because they think it predicts how a student will do in first year of medical school.
That being said, with a high GPA and good scores on the other two sections, you should apply (if you have good extra curricula?s and letters of recommendation).
But to be safe get every verbal prep book for the MCAT (especially Columbia review), and retake the test.
GOOD LUCK!

Wow. When I first read the question, I thaught there were going to be a ton of rubber stamps, you can do anything you want to replies.
I've got to agree with the majority of the peopel who posted, your chances arn't good/great. Being a californian, you don't have in state schools that would accept you with those numbers. So basically you chances reside on lower teir out of state schools. MCP, Finch, Temple, etc. If I were you I wouldn't apply this year, take the MCAT, and apply again.

There are so many other things besides the MCAT score and the GPA in assessing one's qualification. But, still, the adcoms would be hesitant to offer acceptances to those who have a questionable ability (as judged by the quantitative factors like the GPA and MCAT score) to handle the med school academic rigor. So unless you have a very very good reason to explain the "7" on your verbal, your chance is not good at this point. Why not improve your chance of getting in by restudying and retaking the exam?