Do I have a prayer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPAguy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28 years old and have been recently divorced. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but for various reasons (too long to tell here) I ended up going into accounting. 5 miserable years and a divorce later, I have started taking my premed courses to hopefully gain acceptance to medical school. I have always had an admiration for the DOs. For one, my father (who is a pharmacist) has always spoke very highly of the profession. In addition, two of my good friends who have recently accepted residency positions went to KCOM and absolutely loved it. Finally, I am of the opinion that the DO approach is much more in tune with my beliefs (i.e., the holistic, preventative, ect).

Anyway, my only problem is with my grades. I only have a 3.0 from my Accounting degree. I have justed started my other courses. With 128 credit hours at a 3.0 it is going to be dreadfully hard to pull that baby up. Do I stand a chance? What if I do really well on the Premed courses? I have a good reason for the grades being low the first time around. Let's say I get a 3.5-3.7 in all of my premed stuff, will I be able to get considered (assuming say a 25 of the MCAT....but hopefully higher).

What do you all think??

Members don't see this ad.

ace the hell out of your premed courses and get a 25 or more on the mcat....I'm sure that u'll be really competative when u interview for DO schools.... (dont forget clinical work!!!!)

ace the hell out of your premed courses and get a 25 or more on the mcat....I'm sure that u'll be really competative when u interview for DO schools.... (dont forget clinical work!!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
absolutely! Check out some of my other posts on my situation.... Also, check out oldpremeds on yahoo groups! VERY helpful!

Good luck. This is your dream. Don't take NO for an answer.

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002087" target="_blank">Click here</a> for my story. I think it will give you some insight into applying to med school with a less than stellar undergraduate record.