Do I have a realistic shot at getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkgrubby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.13 cumulative gpa, 3.04 science gpa with 20 dat. Bit of an older applicant at 26 years old. went to uc school. Messed up mainly during my freshman and sophomore year. Ecs during my undergrad years and post graduation I began to work in various jobs in sales and health insurance/customer service in hospital. I have over 100+ hours of shadowing with a dentist. My plan is to apply early.... as soon as it opens early. I am looking at touro ny, nyc, usc, u of p, roseman, and western for now. My top choice would be U of P, but I don't think my stats are strong enough. What are my chances of getting in to one of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
None of us sit on the admissions staff. Just apply and pray for the best.

I would've done a master program, but a bit late for that now since you are applying in 5 months.

Reactions: 1 user
The whole application process is a total crapshoot. People have gotten in with lower stats, but there are also applicants with better stats who are still waiting to get in after 2-3 cycles.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply as early as possible AND send constant interest emails and such. It makes a WORLD of a difference!

Reactions: 1 user
3.13 cumulative gpa, 3.04 science gpa with 20 dat. Bit of an older applicant at 26 years old. went to uc school. Messed up mainly during my freshman and sophomore year. Ecs during my undergrad years and post graduation I began to work in various jobs in sales and health insurance/customer service in hospital. I have over 100+ hours of shadowing with a dentist. My plan is to apply early.... as soon as it opens early. I am looking at touro ny, nyc, usc, u of p, roseman, and western for now. My top choice would be U of P, but I don't think my stats are strong enough. What are my chances of getting in to one of these schools?
I have the same exact stats as you and I am 26 years old and completed a post-bacc for my pre-reqs. I applied in September and I had one pre dec interview and another interview coming up in february. I'm taking another full load this semester in case I don't get in. You have a good chance to get some interviews. I think my life experiences, experience in the dental field and working full time with a family during my post bacc helped to set me apart a bit. If you have any questions shoot me a message. It's nice to see someone in a similar situation! Best of luck.

This was my OOS school list based on total cost, OOS acceptance rates, and a multitude of others things. Hope it helps. My advice is to use a shotgun approach with your application. I spent probably ~100 total hours forming this list of schools for an OOS applicant so I guess it shouldn't go to waste now that I'm not going to use it. These are by far the best OOS schools to apply to, some more so than others, based on the ADEA Guide over the last 2 editions. There's no specific order to this list, and some of these schools I even consider too expensive now than when I made this list. Although if you just want to get in, these schools are your best chances (NYU and USC are financial suicide IMO, but Buffalo and UNE could be added to this list. I just didn't want to go to school there.)

North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC)
Colorado (Denver, CO)
Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, OK)
Kentucky (Lexington, KY)
Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
Tennessee (Memphis, TN)
VCU (Richmond, VA)
Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
UNLV (Las Vegas, NV)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA)
Creighton (Omaha, NE)
Louisville (Louisville, KY)
Temple (Philadelphia, PA)
West Virginia (Morgantown, WV)
Indiana (Indianapolis, IN)
Marquette (Milwaukee, WI)
Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
Nova Southeastern (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
Western (Pomona, CA)
Midwestern Arizona (Glendale, AZ)
ASDOH (Mesa, AZ)
Roseman (Salt Lake City, UT)
LECOM (Bradenton, FL)
MOSDOH (Kirksville, MO)
Midwestern Illinois (Downers Grove, IL)
Case Western (Cleveland, OH)

As others have said, apply broadly. I'm 29, no prior dental experience other than my recent shadowing hours and minimal volunteer hours. I applied to 17 schools because I didn't think I had a chance with a 3.0 sGPA/cgpa and 22 DAT. To my surprise I got a 3 pre December Interviews and 2 post December interviews and I got into both schools that I interviewed with post December. I've even received updates from other schools stating that my application is still under consideration. Most importantly DO NOT get discouraged if you don't get any acceptances on December 1st! Just keep your head up and stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
Whether you apply June 1 or as late as even August won't affect your chances. I have similar stats as you (3.2 sGPA, 21 AA), got one acceptance so far.

I applied the first week AADSAS opened and I don't think it increased my chances at all. APPLY BROADLY!! You never know which schools will invite you for an interview (3 of the invites were surprises to me lol)

Have you taken anatomy, physiology, and/or microbiology? If not, I think taking night classes for those and getting A's will help you out, especially for schools that require them.

firstly congrats on your acceptance. I have a question on how early you can apply on AADSAS? Did you not need to wait for them to receive your transcripts and stuff before submitting? I'n new and learning about this process

Whether you apply June 1 or as late as even August won't affect your chances. I have similar stats as you (3.2 sGPA, 21 AA), got one acceptance so far.

I applied the first week AADSAS opened and I don't think it increased my chances at all. APPLY BROADLY!! You never know which schools will invite you for an interview (3 of the invites were surprises to me lol)

Have you taken anatomy, physiology, and/or microbiology? If not, I think taking night classes for those and getting A's will help you out, especially for schools that require them.

Which schools were they?

OP the averages at schools are merely that, averages. There are people with stats lower than the mean and those higher than the mean. At my school the average is a 3.6 and a AA/TS average of 21. The lowest was around a 3.0 (or lower, below 3.0, I don't remember) and the highest was a 4.0.