Do I have a shot at Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr aaron

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a USIMG at Ross University, I scored a 203/83 on step 1. I have yet to take step 2. I received all A's and a few B's in basic sciences, and really good clinical grades as well. I put myself through undergrad working as an anesthesia tech for a local university hospital and i have several recommendations from practicing anesthesiologists. I know my step 1 score is on the low end, but do you guys have any advice on possible programs that i should apply to? I really appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a USIMG at Ross University, I scored a 203/83 on step 1. I have yet to take step 2. I received all A's and a few B's in basic sciences, and really good clinical grades as well. I put myself through undergrad working as an anesthesia tech for a local university hospital and i have several recommendations from practicing anesthesiologists. I know my step 1 score is on the low end, but do you guys have any advice on possible programs that i should apply to? I really appreciate any input!

I think it's going to be a stretch, although still worth trying. Your Step 1 score is on the low end even for American graduates. I do know of IMGs having obtained Anesthesiology residencies with Step 1 scores below yours, but that was a few years back.

My advice is to focus on smaller community based programs, especially is less desirable locations. I hate to tell you (in essence) to 'focus on the worst possible programs,' but that's the gist of what I'm saying.

Honestly, I think you have a shot but you really need to apply to the right programs. I don't know the specific ones, but the general advice I gave you should lead you to the right programs. University programs are going to be tough, as are programs of either sort (University or Community) in the big cities and areas that are popular. Good luck! I'd definitely give it a shot.

Try to find the IMG friendly programs and the less competitive programs and apply to as many as you can afford. Anesthesia residencies are slowly becoming less competitive, so your chances may be better this year than a similar candidate in last years match.

Members don't see this ad :)
according to the data, of 52 applicants that applied in 2009 with scores in your range, 11 matched. Not impossible, but the numbers are against you. May I suggest you apply to a back up just in case.

according to the data, of 52 applicants that applied in 2009 with scores in your range, 11 matched. Not impossible, but the numbers are against you. May I suggest you apply to a back up just in case.

what would these backups be? prelims or somethin in a totally different field?

what would these backups be? prelims or somethin in a totally different field?

I was thinking a less competitive field such as IM/FM/Peds...

But you have to ask yourself this question. Do you want to go into anesthesia bad enough to go through the incredible amount of stress of the possibility of not matching? Because at best, you won't get too many interviews and will be hoping to match on match day on the few places you got an interview at.

I was thinking a less competitive field such as IM/FM/Peds...

But you have to ask yourself this question. Do you want to go into anesthesia bad enough to go through the incredible amount of stress of the possibility of not matching? Because at best, you won't get too many interviews and will be hoping to match on match day on the few places you got an interview at.

Yeah, the thought of that kinda scares me.

Do you know anything about the competitiveness of say, neurology?

The dudes I know at places like Ross/St. Georges who have matched anes have had very serious board scores. However, like others have said, it's worth the shot. Get good LORs and rank those programs highly, which means you'll need to be very location flexible. I would dual apply with a second pick avenue, however.

cf

Try to find the IMG friendly programs and the less competitive programs and apply to as many as you can afford. Anesthesia residencies are slowly becoming less competitive, so your chances may be better this year than a similar candidate in last years match.

This is good advice.

Anesthesia residencies are slowly becoming less competitive, so your chances may be better this year than a similar candidate in last years match.

This is a tough thing to quantify this early in the season, but it's my understanding that Anesthesia is still at a peak or maybe a plateau. If you don't count the large number of unfilled seats at SUNY downstate, wasn't last year one of the more competitive years in recent history?

This is a tough thing to quantify this early in the season, but it's my understanding that Anesthesia is still at a peak or maybe a plateau. If you don't count the large number of unfilled seats at SUNY downstate, wasn't last year one of the more competitive years in recent history?

agreed.

it seems everything is getting more competitive - even fields like IM/psych.

I am hoping that my years working in the anesthiology field as a tech will really help me. I really appreciate all of the honest advice!

I am hoping that my years working in the anesthiology field as a tech will really help me. I really appreciate all of the honest advice!

Those years probably will help, after (and if) you have been chosen for an interview. In many cases, USMLE scores are used to screen applicants, so many programs will reject you off the bat.

If you take Step 2 CK and score 215+, that may help.

Honestly, I don't like the concept of applying to two fields b/c it's more work and there's no way to justify loyalty to one field. Maybe you can give Anesthesia your best shot and, if things don't work out, try something else next time. Maybe the 2nd time, you can try for two fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those years probably will help, after (and if) you have been chosen for an interview. In many cases, USMLE scores are used to screen applicants, so many programs will reject you off the bat.

If you take Step 2 CK and score 215+, that may help.

Honestly, I don't like the concept of applying to two fields b/c it's more work and there's no way to justify loyalty to one field. Maybe you can give Anesthesia your best shot and, if things don't work out, try something else next time. Maybe the 2nd time, you can try for two fields.

Yeah, it would be a pain and less than ideal, but it's better than not matching and having to scramble for some sh.ty prelim gig.....

I say, in the OPs case, dual apply to whichever easier to get into specialty is the OPs "second" choice..... Gotta be practical here.

i am an SGU grad that matched into anesthesia during the last match cycle. my step scores were over 20 points higher than yours and I had all A's in my 3rd year cores, (4th year was pass/fail). I pretty much applied to every program except the top tier places. I applied early and was on top of my game, however, I still struggled to get interviews and had to constantly call programs to check my status. I ended with under 10 interviews and was lucky enough to match, looking back at things i feel like i got lucky by matching and i am surprised I wasn't more nervous during the days leading up to the match.

with your low step1 score you'll definitely have a very tough time if not an impossible time. many programs set a minimum step1 score especially for IMGs usually that score is around 220, it's a different story for AMGs but us IMGs really have to work hard in order to match. not sure how your work experience will help, what I found is that being an MD is totally different from other health professions and a lot of times the MD's aren't impressed nor do they care if you were a tech or a nurse for a number of years before.

By all means try and apply, but be realistic. I know that with your step score you'll even have a tough time matching into a solid IM program. You definitelly have to improve by at least 15 points on step2 and must take it early, also have CS score early too. Apply to a lot of prelim programs as well. I too am not a fan of those that apply to more than one specialty so i was going to use a prelim year as a back up if I didn't match. you're really going to need to have your application ready to go in the frist 2 to 3 weeks of september and will need a lot of luck. also use every connection you have, maybe call up those attendings that you worked with, maybe they're close friends with program directors and can help get you in.

i am an SGU grad that matched into anesthesia during the last match cycle. my step scores were over 20 points higher than yours and I had all A's in my 3rd year cores, (4th year was pass/fail). I pretty much applied to every program except the top tier places. I applied early and was on top of my game, however, I still struggled to get interviews and had to constantly call programs to check my status. I ended with under 10 interviews and was lucky enough to match, looking back at things i feel like i got lucky by matching and i am surprised I wasn't more nervous during the days leading up to the match.

with your low step1 score you'll definitely have a very tough time if not an impossible time. many programs set a minimum step1 score especially for IMGs usually that score is around 220, it's a different story for AMGs but us IMGs really have to work hard in order to match. not sure how your work experience will help, what I found is that being an MD is totally different from other health professions and a lot of times the MD's aren't impressed nor do they care if you were a tech or a nurse for a number of years before.

By all means try and apply, but be realistic. I know that with your step score you'll even have a tough time matching into a solid IM program. You definitelly have to improve by at least 15 points on step2 and must take it early, also have CS score early too. Apply to a lot of prelim programs as well. I too am not a fan of those that apply to more than one specialty so i was going to use a prelim year as a back up if I didn't match. you're really going to need to have your application ready to go in the frist 2 to 3 weeks of september and will need a lot of luck. also use every connection you have, maybe call up those attendings that you worked with, maybe they're close friends with program directors and can help get you in.

RJ, sure a TOP program, but let's be real here. There are plenty of very small, off the radar programs with good IM training and in-house fellowships to boot (cards, pulm, you name it). Too many to list actually. Also, for general IM (which I highly respect), does it REALLY matter where you did residency??? I don't think so.

cf

i think where you trained matters for every specialty. Maybe if you're going to go into an already established family owned private practice then it might not matter, but if you're going to start a practice on your own or find a group to join, being trained at the best place you can get into will give you a lot more street credit you'll have a much easier time finding a job then going to some small community program. It always matters where you went, those that went to an Ivy league undergrad had an easier time getting into med school, those that went to a good medical school had an easier time getting into a strong residency program. The name and prestige mean a lot, sure people that don't have the name to back them up can still do very well for themselves but it's much easier if you have that name.

but this is all off topic. basically OP you might have a shot, but eitherway you look at it it's very very small. if this specialty is truely your passion then by all means apply, but be ready by having a back up plan.

russianjoo would you mind sending me a list of programs you applied to?

In order to carry weight, LOR's need to be from anesthesiologists that have directly observed you in a clinical manner while a med student rather than as a tech (which you may already have).

With that being said I personally don't think LOR's carry much weight except if you get an obviously glowing one (which a lot are anyway) or you are red-flagged. My personal opinion is most are somewhere in the middle.

This pretty much sums it up:

I pretty much applied to every program except the top tier places.

Sounds like Joo paid a pretty penny but also sounds like he played his cards right. When you are coming from a disadvantage you really need to go all out.

I applied to 70 programs. I didn't apply to any California program because it's tough to get into Cali and they require a California letter for IMGs. I didn't apply to places like Harvard, UPenn, John's Hopkins, NYU, Cornell. basically the interviews I got were 2 places that I rotated during 4th year (on the east coast) and the rest were in the midwest. I got no interviews in NY, which is kind of disappointing, but I guess that's a very popular market.

After being hundreds of thousands in debt i felt that spending an extra couple of hundred dollars was well worth it to increase my chances of matching into the specialty of my choice.

I applied to 70 programs.

After being hundreds of thousands in debt i felt that spending an extra couple of hundred dollars was well worth it to increase my chances of matching into the specialty of my choice.

Congrats on your match. From your link, looks like Wayne State takes a lot of SGU-er's (from all departments). It's amazing there will be 3 of ya'll from the same graduating class into the same matriculating anesthesia class.

thank you, there's actually 4 of us in my class, and 3 of us interviewed on the same day. i guess it was a good day to be interviewed. This is a big place with lots of oppertunities, I just hope I am able to take full advantage of them all.