Do I have a shot at any of these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnynight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently attend USC
GPA: 3.8c
3.7s

MCAT:
Biology: 12
Physics: 13
Verbal: 8
Total: 33

EC:
Vietnamese Student Association
150 hours of shadowing a clinical pathologist
250 hours of hospital volunteering
American Red Cross
60 hours of working in a research lab
100 hours of of non medical related community service
2 years experience in a cancer outreach program

I want to apply to:

UCLA (My goal)
UCSF
Stanford
USC
John Hopkins
University of Washingtion
University of Chicago
UCSD
Emory
Cornell

I want to become a hematopathologist.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course you have a shot, but the specific odds - no one knows.
If that is your entire list of schools - terrible (unless you don't mind wasting a year and applying more broadly next time).

Also your current specialty interest is largely irrelevant. :)

I currently attend USC
GPA: 3.8c
3.7s

MCAT:
Biology: 12
Physics: 13
Verbal: 8
Total: 33

EC:
Vietnamese Student Association
150 hours of shadowing a clinical pathologist
250 hours of hospital volunteering
American Red Cross
100 hours of of non medical related community service
2 years experience in a cancer outreach program

I want to apply to:

UCLA (My goal)
UCSF
Stanford
USC
John Hopkins
University of Chicago
UCSD
Emory
Cornell

I think your list is too top-heavy. I'd add some more mid-tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

I want to apply to:

UCLA (My goal)
UCSF
Stanford
USC
John Hopkins
University of Chicago
UCSD
Emory
Cornell

60 hours of research? That's less than a full semester of research. All of the schools that you're applying to are research intensive (not sure about Emory, but I think it's also research intensive), so applying there with basically no research is not a good idea.

I would seriously rethink your school list with more "mid-tier" schools.

Also, UWash doesn't accept OOS (outside of the WWAMI) for MD except for URMs/disadvantaged/those with extensive backgrounds working with URM/disadvantaged communities, your chances there are pretty slim.

Last edited:
60 hours of research? That's less than a full semester of research. All of the schools that you're applying to are research intensive (not sure about Emory, but I think it's also research intensive), so applying there with basically no research is not a good idea.

I would seriously rethink your school list with more "mid-tier" schools.
I would agree with this concern, unless possibly you have some substantive, consistent leadership experience or other outstanding accomplishment in another field of endeavor that you didn't mention to take the place of a strong research background.

And even so, your lower VS might give top schools pause in considering you.

The 8 verbal will hurt your chances significantly for all those top schools you selected, though a lot of this process is luck and I know people with lower scores than you who got into your top choice school.

I agree that your research isn't very impressive time wise, but did you get to do your own project for those 60 hours with some legit data or a publication, or just running gels/westerns for your PI? If the former, then you may have a shot at spinning it in such a way that will be favorable for the top schools, if not, then the schools couldn't care less.

Overall, you definitely need to expand your school list as all those schools are very competitive and even with much higher scores you could still get rejected from all of them.

Good luck to a fellow Trojan! Fight On!

Hey man, UW only takes instate and EXTREMELY competitive OOS--like only a handful. They consider MD/PhD for OOS though. Your list is way too top heavy in my opinion. Expand your list!