Do I have a shot at Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amd6000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and wondering if I have a shot
at Dental School.

I managed to transfer to pretty good school from local CC
and my overall GPA is about 3.37.(excluding CC GPA)

The problem is that I had received
2 Fs (from 4 year colllege)
2 Ws (from 2 year college)
2 Ws (from 4 year college)

After transferring to 4 year college, I have been a part-time student,meaning
my course workload has been always less than 13 units.
Also,I withdrew from the college frequently- 3 times in the middle of the semester.
I was running a small business myself so I guess I didn't really pay attention to academics.
Nontheless, I don't think this is acceptable to Adcom.

Now, I completed all the graduate requirements for my major but
still have 2 more semesters to go if I wish.
I am not a science person at all so highly doubt that I am going to
do well on chem, bio, and physics even if I try hard.

That being sad, if I complete half of the requirements from 2 year college
and maintain both SCI GPA & Overall GPA around 3.2,
do I have a shot at
UOP,USC,Loma Linda? (BTW, I am a California resident)

Let's say my DAT is no more than 20. hehe

As you see, I have a couple of 'major' academic blemishes that Admission Committ don't like. :-(

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you think I am a troll.
Yes, my question is lame but did I offend anyone?

I am really serious here.
I didn't even complete a single semester as a full-time student.
Moreover, I withdrew from the college in the middle of semester quite often.
I am really concerned about how this might affect admission
to dental school.

From what I see, getting into Dental School is very competitive.

I am just trying to see if I have a shot.

That's all.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why you think I am a troll.
Yes, my question is lame but did I offend anyone?

I am really serious here.
I didn't even complete a single semester as a full-time student.
Moreover, I withdrew from the college in the middle of semester quite often.
I am really concerned about how this might affect admission
to dental school.

From what I see, getting into Dental School is very competitive.

I am just trying to see if I have a shot.

That's all.

not really... sorry bud.

You might need a 4.0 Masters program and a 20+ DAT to recover from that, and even then schools might be wary about taking a chance on you with your part-time shoddy academic record.

Is this a serious post or are you just trolling...

That's what I was concerned about.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

You shouldn't purposely post messages to incite arguments. If this is a serious post then you should know how your academic record will affect you.

I have no intention of being a troll
and this is the situation I am dealing with.
I posted my question here to get some advice.

If you love the field, consider Dental Hygiene. It pays pretty well, sometimes as much as a Pharmacist.

[edit: replaced often with sometimes]

Last edited:
-get 21+ dat
-retake pre-reqs at university, full time student, get all As
you say that you wont do well in science classes.. the first year is entirely science, and lots of it. so try bio+chem in a semester and try your best, if you get As then you're good
-shadow dentist
-you should get in somewhere, apply to more than those schools you listed

well since u have all these W's and F's to go along wit ur gpa...its not a good sign..just as the others have recommended i would do a masters and do well in it as well as rock the DAT...a combination of both will make u a much better candidate

well 64k ain't anything to sniff at either i guess ;/

but no, you won't get into dental school - esp if you hate/are bad at science courses....

dental hygiene median income- 64k
pharmacist average- 107k

I'm not saying that they're equivalent pays, but you can make 80K-90K as a hygienist, and you can make 80K-90K on the low end for a pharmacist.

just trying to give the OP some support if he loves the dental field... he can still be a part of it by being a hygienist, and live well.

people get so touchy about this! i already got PMs from pharmacists and ppl with relatives that are pharmacists :laugh:

relax...

I'm not saying that they're equivalent pays, but you can make 80K-90K as a hygienist, and you can make 80K-90K on the low end for a pharmacist.

people get so touchy about this! i already got PMs from pharmacists and ppl with relatives that are pharmacists :laugh:

relax...

If you love the field, consider Dental Hygiene. It pays pretty well, often as much as a Pharmacist.

You may want to rephrase the post. People aren't "touchy" about how much they make or do not make, but they may be "touchy" about the dissemination of misinformation.

You may want to rephrase the post. People aren't "touchy" about how much they make or do not make, but they may be "touchy" about the dissemination of misinformation.

I changed the original post from often to sometimes, the original wording was imperfect. I'm saying that hygiene can make as much, is that misinformation...?

Alright, nvm, you're right, you win doc. You've done too much for the community for me to debate with you. You're right, I am an misinformation disseminator, my bad...

I changed the original post from often to sometimes, the original wording was imperfect. I'm saying that hygiene can make as much, is that misinformation...?

Often/sometimes dentists can make as much/less than dental hygenist/pharmacist/other dentists.