Dental Do I have a shot at getting into Dental School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to SDN and after reading a few similar threads, I thought I'd create my own since my circumstances are a bit different. I'm a junior at a University and plan on applying to dental school next cycle but I am very anxious about my competitiveness as an applicant.

Currently my oGPA is 3.3 and sGPA is 3.0. All of my classes for the next two semesters are science courses so I am hoping to raise my sGPA within the next two semesters.

I have been a full time dental assistant for the past three years. I graduated with my dental assistant certification in high school (went to magnet/technical high school) and started working full time as a dental assistant since I was 18. Due to finances I have not been able to stop working full time in these last three years but have moved up the ranks at my job quickly. I'm a manager, a trainer and one of the lead assistants at my current job. I assist with surgery, endo, restorative, and removable appliances. I will also have about 8 letters of recommendations from doctors that work with me aside from the other required letters. I've been able to save up for dental school and invested in real estate, bought my first home at 19 and second at 20 and plan to use them as an investment to help pay for dental school. I have also been a part time manager for CVS and pharmacy technician for the past four years, but only work at CVS when needed. By the time I graduate this is an informal summary of what I have to put on my application:

*Raised Money and bought dental supplies for Children In Guatemala
*Visited and Educated children at elementary schools on dental health and proper brushing and flossing
*Treasurer for two consecutive years at Future Dentists Organization, helped organize events and activities related to dentistry
*Member of Pre Dental Society for three years
*4 year full time dental assistant for two dental offices
*5 year manager and pharmacy technician for CVS pharmacy (part time)
*CPR certification and Dental Training Certification
*HOSA Senior year of high school 1st place regional and state dental assisting competition, went on to international HOSA dental assisting competition
*Selected to judge Senior Dental Capstones for a technical High School for 4 years
*Won top dental student award in highschool out of entire dental class

I know I have some good points to add to my application, but will these be overlooked due to my GPA? I know that I still have a year to bring my GPA up but it wont go up by much even if i perform well. As far as the DAT, since I am limited on my time due to work, I will be paying a professional tutor next year so that I can advance quickly and do several short period time intervals of studying.

Will my GPA be a factor that causes everything else to be overlooked? I have a unique situation and perform very well when interviewing, but am concerned I may not even get the chance to due to my GPA. I know GPA is not everything but would love to hear real opinions from those who have been accepted into dental school!

Thank you so much, sorry for the lengthy post!

It is so important to connect with admissions staff at schools that are on your list. Your GPA is likely not going to make you a highly coveted applicant at first, but your story and hard work will appeal to some of the schools that you might apply to. The ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair would be one such opportunity, but you should also reach out to some of the admissions staff to get some insight before you begin applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.